Sign in to follow this  
daveywavey10

Using ISO 100 on the X100

daveywavey10

I'm on day 5 of using my X100 and what a breath of fresh air, using the camera is.

However, i'm having real problems using/finding iso 100 - everything seems to default to 200.

Any suggestions how to use/find iso 100, does it only work on auto iso?

DW

john_pa

According to the DPReview article, ISO-100(L) and ISO-12800(H) are not available when shooting RAW (perhaps that is what you are doing?).

My understanding is that there is actually a good reason for this. It is typical in most cameras for the highest and lowest ISO setting (often called “L” and “H”) to be “post-processing adjustments” rather than an actual change in the light sensitivity of the sensor as the other ISO settings are. In other words, in most cameras the “L-100” setting is just an ISO-200 sensitivity that has had a tone-curve adjustment applied in-camera (yea, you could do this with RAW, but I guess that Fuji decided not to). This is actually why most cameras call these bookend settings by different names and often have them turned off by default. It is because they are not “real” anyway. Since this is an “artificial ISO”, there are also not the usual advantages of moving to a lower setting, like reduced noise, so I guess the Fuji folk figure that it doesn’t matter.

The cool-thing about the X-100 is that with the built-in ND-filter, you really can shoot at ISO-200 and f2 in broad-daylight (I’ve done it), so it shouldn’t be a big deal. It is too bad that the ND function is so awkward to get to, but maybe Fuji will fix that with a firmware update someday.

daveywavey10

Thanks John - very informative answer, i'll stick to using iso 200 as my default setting.

JeanJacques

You can set your ND filter on "fn". As for me I prefer to set the ISO on "fn". Anyhow and it is pretty fast and easy to change the "fn" function you can just set in on a bright sunny day according to your needs.

JeanJacques

When you plan to shot on a bright sunny day, just set the ND filter on the "fn" function key. It is quite easy and quick to set up the "fn" function key.

JeanJacques

When you plan to shoot on a bright sunny day, just set the ND filter on the "fn" function key. It is quite easy and quick to set up the "fn" function key.

meetingpeopleiseasy

I couldn't seem to find the setting to shoot ISO 100, but I definitely agree to stick with the ISO 200 as the default due to the built in ND Filter with F2, check out my photos on my blog: jerrylore.com/blog

I'm quite satisfied with my X100, FujiFilm's processor is great on higher ISOs.

@meetingpeopleiseasy, ISO 100 is only an available option if you're shooting JPG only. It creates a pushed file to emulate ISO 100.

minch

". . . The cool-thing about the X-100 is that with the built-in ND-filter, you really can shoot at ISO-200 and f2 in broad-daylight (I’ve done it), so it shouldn’t be a big deal. It is too bad that the ND function is so awkward to get to, but maybe Fuji will fix that with a firmware update someday."

I use my Fn button for ND. I know there are other choices for the Fn button, but ND seems to fit my needs the best.