Sign in to follow this  
VietQuocNhan

X100 Sticky Aperture

VietQuocNhan

My X100 just shows up sticky aperture at F2 after I upgrade firmware to v1.11. If any of you still have v1.10, please send me one. Please help.

Here is my email: vietquocnhan@yahoo.com

Thanks!

I don't believe it is possible to downgrade the camera firmware. If your aperture blades are sticking, you'll need to send your X100 in for service.

PaulV

The sticky aperture blade issue is a hardware issue, not firmware. The fact tha it happened right after an upgrade is coincidental. Sending it back to Fuji is the old solution.

Sorry for the troubles. I've heard that they turn them pretty quick, Best of luck!

Duck_Feet

I had no issues before firmware upgrade and none since, although I have not taken a lot of pictures (I just upgraded a day before yesterday).

crispy12

Incidentally I noticed today that my apertures weren't closing accurately. They were 1 stop off, with f2 and 2.8 being almost the same, f16 acting like f11. I shoot manual mode all the time so I never notice any over exposure. Ironically this was always solved by switching on/off, and made worse by using the camera facing the ceiling. When I held it in normal landscape orientation it always behaved normal. The aperture blades tend to move in a stepwise fashion randomly. Sometimes when I shoot at f2, the aperture seems to stop down momentarily then return to f2 again. Or whatever other aperture setting, rather than just going to that setting directly.

I think I probably moved the aperture about 100 times in all checking this. I set the fn button to DOF preview and this fixed it half the time by previewing and changing the aperture. This is how I check my 40 year old vintage film cameras, so not something really encouraging.

Still better to send it in for repair if you can, which is what I'd probably do after my upcoming trip.

tariqgibran

Incidentally I noticed today that my apertures weren't closing accurately. They were 1 stop off, with f2 and 2.8 being almost the same, f16 acting like f11. I shoot manual mode all the time so I never notice any over exposure. Ironically this was always solved by switching on/off, and made worse by using the camera facing the ceiling. When I held it in normal landscape orientation it always behaved normal. The aperture blades tend to move in a stepwise fashion randomly. Sometimes when I shoot at f2, the aperture seems to stop down momentarily then return to f2 again. Or whatever other aperture setting, rather than just going to that setting directly.

I think I probably moved the aperture about 100 times in all checking this. I set the fn button to DOF preview and this fixed it half the time by previewing and changing the aperture. This is how I check my 40 year old vintage film cameras, so not something really encouraging.

Still better to send it in for repair if you can, which is what I'd probably do after my upcoming trip.

Same exact test method I used and, unfortunately, same camera response. Just sent mine in today.

VietQuocNhan

Yesterday I had my "sticky" close down to f16 but for only 2 shots. It was stuck back again to F2. I need to send it in this weekend. Look like USA Fuji showing not much care about this problem. How we can have them pick-up the camera rather than send them in with our own cost?

photofervor

Took mine to UK dealer where purchased on 8 November and he despatched to Fuji next day - arrived back with him today 16 November with new 'lens' and full test. Can't complain about the service just hope it's a proper fix. BTW I had taken about 2,300 shots and serial No was 12N...

SeaBea23

How about creating a "Sticky Blades" log on the site where we could chart the problem camera serial number batches. This way we could see if the issue deminishes over time as new cameras are produced.

VietQuocNhan

My X100 just came back last night with the new lens unit. Everything is OK sofar.

pokeken

Hi all

Unfortunately my X100 has developed the sticky blade failure. Whats the best way to get Fuji to fix it? Send it back directly to them?

Cheers!

Greyelm

Hi all

Unfortunately my X100 has developed the sticky blade failure. Whats the best way to get Fuji to fix it? Send it back directly to them?

Cheers!

In the UK you can register the fault online and they will send you the package for FOC return to them. You then track progress on line. Other countries may vary.

VietQuocNhan

For USA, here are what you need to do:

1/ visit here http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportRepairContent.do?dbid=674543

2/ from the right hand side of the page, fill out the camera repair form

3/ pack your camera with repair form and a copy of your purchase receipt

4/ send directly to Fujifilm

5/ repair take only a couple of days

6/ camera will be rushed back to you in 2 days after repaired

boringuser

I went through this process. I just called their warranty repair line (googled for it on their site). Turnaround time for something like this was pretty quick, about a week including shipping both ways. It was painless and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. And apparently I now have the new version of the lens assembly, so hopefully the issue will never happen again.

mikehc

Just got my "sticky" X100 back from Fuji UK. Astonishingly quick service! I registered the fault on their website on Sunday, the prepaid packaging arrived Tuesday, camera sent Tuesday afternoon, got an email Wednesday to say it had been received, another email later on Wednesday to say it had been repaired, and it arrived back Thursday morning. They confirmed they had replaced the lens. If every company had customer service like that, the world would be a happier place!

WilzWorkz7

wow...UK done a great job. At least they understand x100's role in cementing their reputation.

But this sticky blade problem is going the same way with the x10 orb issue. One year on and my first batch x100 is still ok. Thank God!

gafer

Unfortunately my first X100 had the sticky aperture issue after less than two weeks. Fortunately my camera shop, Precision Camera, was able to just swap it out for a new one. No issues yet but if the new one fails then it's going to Fuji for the new lens that will hopefully resolve this issue permanently. Not real happy about having a ticking-time-bomb of a camera to take on vacation.

sparkyhd

I am so relieved to find this post. I thought I was going mad as each time I reduced the aperture the photo became more over-exposed. I honestly started thinking I’d got it the wrong way round during the previous 25 years!

Fuji UK seem very willing to resolve the issue and my prepaid return box is in the post. When I questioned what would happen if it failed again outside of warranty the response was "All X series cameras are high priority customers and will always have our support even when the camera is out of warranty."

My serial is 13N ...

wsgwz2006

Mine also had all typical symptoms of sticky aperture blade issue. I dropped my x100 in Fujifilm Edison Repair Center this passed Monday and got it back yesterday. The lens assembly was replaced. Tested in the evening and everything seems fine.

Serial # 13A...

Wibblewobble

Mine went in on Wednesday with the usual symptoms...Fuji UK have got back to me to say that the are out of lens units and are awaiting a delivery. Doesn't help me much does it? But I guess there is nothing I can do other than wait. Interestingly I asked them "what is the actual problem with the camera" and they circumvented the answer by saying they are awaiting lens units as opposed to SAB or something similar. It appears to me they are having trouble actually 'saying the words'. Hopefully they will arrive soon.

artuk

Mine was purchased in November last year and started showing the problem in February. I contacted Fuji UK, who were very professional, and returned the camera to me withn a week.

A new lens assmbly was fitted; my guess is this is the easiest "fix" outside the factory since the shutter and aperture etc are all part of the lens assembly, and are probably assembled as a unit and then fitted to the body during manufacture.

robthebruce

I've just sent my x100 back today. The issue developed almost as soon as I went on my holiday to Tasmania (Australia). I got around the issue by working in manual and would frequently bracket the exposure manually or by using the ISO bracketing feature under the Drive menu. Photos (which turned out) can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/robculhane/

I"ve had the camera since August last year. My serial number begins with 12M.