Sign in to follow this  
VietQuocNhan

X100 Sticky Aperture

RogerRabbit

I wonder if new lens units being fitted are really new or just faulty units that have been repaired at the factory.

mattmaber

@Wibblewobble

interestingly I asked them "what is the actual problem with the camera" and they circumvented the answer by saying they are awaiting lens units as opposed to SAB or something similar. It appears to me they are having trouble actually 'saying the words'. Hopefully they will arrive soon.

Iwouldnt read to much into that, i doubt you were speaking to an engineer so they wont know details im sure.

Wibblewobble

@Wibblewobble

interestingly I asked them "what is the actual problem with the camera" and they circumvented the answer by saying they are awaiting lens units as opposed to SAB or something similar. It appears to me they are having trouble actually 'saying the words'. Hopefully they will arrive soon.

Iwouldnt read to much into that, i doubt you were speaking to an engineer so they wont know details im sure.

Wibblewobble

It was an e mail response from their engineering department so you may or may not be right.

However, as I understand it Fuji have not yet admitted/confirmed that their is a problem of any sort with SAB's. This is in sharp contrast to Canon's admittance this morning of a problem with 'light leakage' on the new 5D Mk3. This has come much much quicker after the problem has been discovered.

I still feel the SAB problem is as the result of the camera being rushed into production with insufficient testing. Mainly because I fail to see how this could not have manifested itself if Fuji had tested it properly. Or maybe it did and Fuji decided to 'run with it' and accept a lot of cameras would be returned under warranty.

I still say Fuji acted in haste leaving the customer to repent at leisure.

I really do love the camera and it complements up my M9 nicely, but if this fails to rectify the problem or appears again I will be requesting my money back as it is 'unfit for purpose'. I genuinely hope I don't have to do this.

sparkyhd

@Wibblewobble - have you received yours back yet since you mentioned they were out of stock?

Mine arrived at Fuji Monday after yours.

Wibblewobble

@Wibblewobble - have you received yours back yet since you mentioned they were out of stock?

Mine arrived at Fuji Monday after yours.

Sparky...........they mailed me today to say it was on its way back to me, so not too bad I guess.

You should get yours soon I would think (depending on how many lens units/where you are in the list.

Ian

sparkyhd

Thanks. Just got the email to say it's on its way home so it's only a 24 hour turnaround. Then again how long does it take to squirt a bit of WD40 into the lens and wipe off the excess?

Wibblewobble

24hrs ??????? :-)

Perhaps they had to nip to Halfords for a new can of WD for mine !!!!!!!

sparkyhd

I emailed Fuji UK "Has the cause of the problem been identified, so that your fix will last, or is there a risk that the replacement part could develop the same fault?"

And the email I got back "We have replaced the lens on your camera.You should not experience any more fault with the camera.If for any reason you do please contact us as soon as possible."

Seems a bit vague.

Sergio

meh ive had SAB twice so I wouldnt put too much faith into that. Maybe by now they have figured it out, but i still check the Ap blades periodically

Wibblewobble

Received mine back........lens unit replaced. Fingers crossed it works, if not I might be asking for my money back.

paulcru

I'm ordering x100 this weekend from John Lewis (good cuctomer service and shop next door to my place of work) and also adding a three year warranty giving me 4 years. That should take care of the sticky blades should it present a problem!!

MikePadua

"All X series cameras are high priority customers and will always have our support even when the camera is out of warranty."

My serial is 13N ...

Of course we'll have their support, but that doesn't mean they won't charge us money for repairs!

MikePadua

Does anyone know of extended warranties that can be purchased on cameras that have approximately 30 days of manufacturer warranty left?

Mack warranties can be bought if there is 90 days of warranty left.

I bought a used x100, just got it yesterday. It has manufacturer warranty until June 6th. It works great, seemed darn near unused and works perfectly, but I would like a little extra piece of mind.

robthebruce

Can't comment on the extended warranties. I got my x100 back yesterday due to the SBP. They received it on 21 April by sending me a text message with a customer number. So in all, it was away about 2 wks. But the enclosed letter was interesting: "We apologise for any inconvenience caused [by] inability to use the equipment." A new lens fitted which comes with a 90 day warranty that is separate to the one year warranty that still has 7 months to run. No date on the letter so I've noted the date at the tope of the letter.

One thing which surprised me was they had cleaned the camera and it looked and felt like brand new! How did they do this? What chemical are they likely to have used?

FinePixCamera

A new lens installed on any X100 should have a one year warranty. I can't believe they reduce this down to 90 days. Especially since there are many reports of people getting SAB 2 and 3 times.

MikePadua

A new lens fitted which comes with a 90 day warranty that is separate to the one year warranty that still has 7 months to run.

Do they mean they've added an additional 90 days to that particular part ON TOP of the regular one year?

MikePadua

I'm still curious about any extended warranties that people might know about other than Mack or Sagemax. The Mack warranty must be bought while there are at least 90 days on mfgr warranty left--the Sagemax must be bought within 30 days of purchase. I've got 30 days left on mine.

robthebruce

Do they mean they've added an additional 90 days to that particular part ON TOP of the regular one year?

No, the 90 day warranty is not added to the existing 1 year warranty. It assumes that the camera has come in out of warranty and so the 90 days is for the lens itself. Given that I still have 5 months left on my 1 yr warranty, it will be covered till then. If for example, in the last week of the warranty the SAB problem returns, it will still be covered and given another 90 warranty to the lens which will take it beyond the one year one. Also, Fujifilm have said I am entitled to claim the cost of the postage back from them, but I can't be bothered.

NOTE HOWEVER: In Australia, you can send expensive equipment or documents through the mail and have the receiver produce identification and sign for it. It is called 'Registerd Mail'. It costs about $5 extra for this service. But when you read the terms and conditions on the receipt I see that you are only insured for the loss of the camera (and all other things) up to $100. If you want to cover the loss of your camera, you have to pay more money to insure it to its retail value. I put this on another thread.

TADrinkwater

Another victim of the Sticky blades :'(. My serial was also 13N and was about 45 days since purchase from Amazon UK. I've applied today to send it off to Fujifilm UK.

gafer

I don't know that there's any pattern to serial numbers. My first was a 14A that developed the issue within a few weeks. My second model is also a 4A that has been chugging along for several months. I'm not happy about the possibility of future issues but we must all remember that the defects are very few when weight against the several million units that Fuji has produced. The upside is that, generally speaking, Fuji has been very dutiful about replacing/repairing defective units while still under warranty. Outside of warranty may become an issue however.

TADrinkwater

Does anyone have an idea of the cost to repair the unit outside the warranty?

FinePixCamera

Another victim of the Sticky blades :'(. My serial was also 13N and was about 45 days since purchase from Amazon UK. I've applied today to send it off to Fujifilm UK.

It is absolutely amazing that this is STILL happening. It must be well over 1 year since the first SAB case came out. Clearly recent product cameras are not improved at all.