Sign in to follow this  
edoindigo

Useless viewfinder?

edoindigo

Anybody find the viewfinder a bit pointless since what you see and what it is in the picture has nothing to do?

I can't rely on the viewfinder because every time I use it I end up with a bad framed shot.

Any comments about it?

Thank you.

pcg

With the slightest practice you'll learn how to frame accurately. I never the use LCD display. The VF is used exclusively (w/o complaint, I should note).

edoindigo

Any tips to get friendly with the viewfinder?

I will give it a go again and see if I can see what's the actual area is etc.

I would love to use the viewfinder but in was so let down when I first tried it ...

Thank you.

K1W1_Mk2

I purchased my X10 originally primarily because it had an OVF. I quickly found in practice that I rarely use it and almost entirely use the camera with the EVF so yes I do tend to agree with the OPs comment. I'm sure there are people who use the OVF on the X10/20 but it doesn't work for me so I have moved on and use the camera a different way.

morpheme

Dunno… I find the lcd screen to be pretty useless. I can rarely see anything in it in daylight and don't like composing on what feels like unsteady cam. Having used rangefinder cameras in the old days of film, it doesn't bother me to compensate a little. I bought the X-20 since it was one of the few compact models out there still available with an eye level viewfinder.

mattmaber

Compared with my compact film rangefinders (Yashica Minister III and a couple of Canonet's) I found the X10s VF perfectly adequate. With the data on the X20's VF Id expect it to be even better. Obviously personal choice not withstanding.

secondintime

Takes a little getting used to, but I quite like the quirky ness of it, adds a little interest and fun to the camera. I imagine if you are using it for anything other than fun, and it meant you were missing shots then I suspect it could be a little frustrating, otherwise it is well worth a little practice.

RichardCFrost

Remembering back to my time with my X10, like @morpheme, I bought it because of the OVF. Once you accept that it reperesents a fairly central 80% crop of the actual photograph, it becomes extremely useful.

I never missed a shot, but there were times when I realised afterwards I could have zoomed in a little further, and reduced the amount I needed to crop off the actual picture.

So, just use it and learn. I would rather have had it than not, which is the case with my XF1, which is essentially an X10 with no OVF, no exposure compensation dial and a collapsible lens.

If you totally can't get on with your X20, I'll swap you for my XF1

JohnX

Use the camera more and you'll get used to it.

Only proper cameras have viewfinders. :D

If you frame tightly with the viewfinder it'll give you a little safety margin around the edge's in the shot.

cgeorges

OVF is very useful if you use flash in manual mode and underexpose the background. With the option for EVF to reflect the exposure settings the image becomes very dark and OVF is better.

pominpocket

I had the x10 and used the view finder all the time . I could zoom and frame as well

edoindigo

Thank you for all your opinions. I'm still playing around with it to try to figure out a way to control it decently.

Thanks again.

timo

The OVF is vital for anyone over 45 who normally needs reading glasses. The imprecise framing can be annoying, but for anything other than close-ups I use the OVF all the time.

exakta

OK, I wish the X10/20 had a parallax corrected floating frame but I can live with it. Like timo wrote above, except for closeups and fisheye shots I use the OVF all the time. I just frame tightly and then crop in the computer as needed.

Hey, I had to crop my enlargements all the time when I was using film (35mm doesn't map perfectly to paper sizes).

wessexwanderer

Having only recently gone digital I love the OVF; it is very useful. In bright sunlight I can't see the LCD screen.

I also found myself trying to wind the film on with my thumb!!

FWilliamBaker

It's easy to see who grew up with M Leica's when people comment on the Optical Viewfinder. I prefer my X 100 and my X Pro 1's rather than any of the other Fuji X bodies even the new XT-1. If it had the hybrid viewfinder plus all the other bells and whistles then I would had made a switch. Without the hybrid viewfinder it won't be making it into my bag. Use what you feel comfortable with and what gets the job done.

Regards,

F William Baker

Dallas, Texas

aspirin

Anybody find the viewfinder a bit pointless since what you see and what it is in the picture has nothing to do?

I can't rely on the viewfinder because every time I use it I end up with a bad framed shot.

Any comments about it?

Thank you.

I believe that the optical viewfinder is very useful for action photography. Small parallax in this case it can be assumed because dynamic plot is still impossible to accurately frame even when shooting. The presence of an optical viewfinder in my opinion the main advantage of X20. The other parameters, this camera is no better than other cameras.

OVF example