Sign in to follow this  
gryphon1911

I Try Out The Fuji X100s, X-T1, Olympus OMD EM5 and EM1...want to find out which one I bought?

Excelsior

Lots of opposing thoughts, opinions, and conclusions which is a great thing. You can sit on your laurels thinking you make the best cameras and not even look at what the competition is offering. Or you can look at a competing camera, learn from it, identify what makes it appealing and up the ante and make cameras better and better.

It’s not about who wins whether it be Fujifilm, Olympus, Sony, Nikon, Canon, etc. Because as consumer, we all win with numerous cameras to choose from to fit your style of shooting.

I currently own the XE1 and have never regretted the purchase I made.

Thanks Gryphon for sharing your thoughts.

artuk

Why do you think folks here would care that you made the wrong choice and chose af speed over image quality? Do you care that I think you made a bad choice? I bet not, so can you see that I don't care what your choice was? Fuji picsre better, more 3d, more realistic and crisp. What a shame that you won't have as good IQ, oh well. Now, if I ever see your Fliker, I'll be thinking, "Wow, these images just don't look as good as Fuji images, but, uh, I wonder if he had fast AF, but, who cares, if the images are flat there's no nee to wonder about these photos anymore. Then I would be off to look at some Fuji images.

I am often amazed at how rude people can be, for no real reason. Conversely, if Gryphon had posted a web page telling everyone why he liked Fuji more than Olympus (or other cameras), I am sure people would be saying what a great blog it was. There are lots of good cameras available that have different strengths and weaknesses, and it's healthy to compare brands to see what the benefits and disadvantages are. Fuji have had AF performance that doesn't compare well to mirrorless competitors since the X100, and clearly for some people that's enough to put them off the cameras. I have total sympathy having owned an X Pro 1 since it was released in March 2012 - the AF has always been, and continues to be, a weakness of the camera. A technically high quality photo that is out of focus or missed the moment is no use, in my opinion. There's really no need to be rude or personal if you don't think Gryphon's choice is right for you, there are more constructive ways to express yourself, as I hope this post has proved.

artuk

I noticed that the factory default for the Olympus cameras in regards to image quality is not optimized. Why that was done, I have no clue...and I'm blogging about that stuff now and will have another article on what I did to get the IQ up to where I like it. Besides, the in camera image is my canvas. I shoot to get the optimal range and then use post processing to get the images to the state I like them in.

At the end of the day, I am just so glad and happy that we have all these choices that provide us with fodder for all these great conversations! :D

As a slight aside, do you know what the actual difference between the "5-axis image stabilisation" and "3-axis image stabilisation" of the em-5 and em-10 is? Given the world only has 3 physical dimensions, I'm not sure I understand what "5-axis" stabilisation is? I've been using Sony SLRs for years with sensor anti-shake, which moves in 2 dimensions (up and down, side to side) - what are the other 3 axes???

From what I understand from practical use, there is not a whole lot of real world difference as far as results go in "normal" shooting - which I quantify as shooting down to 1/2 to 1/4 of a second. Some people have stated that they can hold the 5-axis for a second to a second and a half, where they could not with the 3-axis.

I personally have not tried that kind of test.

5-Axis covers - pitch, yaw, roll, horizontal and vertical movements

3-Axis covers - pitch, yaw, and roll.

So it seems the 5 Axis is like having the "active" mode on a Nikon or Canon VR/OIS equipped lens. It allows for panning with motion in the horizontal and vertical planes.

I know there are 3 modes to the IBIS in the EM5 - 1 is AUTO, then 2 = vertical stabilization, 3 = horizontal.

IBIS 2/3 could be used for panning depending on the camera orientation.

All I know is that from using Fuji OIS, Nikon VR, Tamron VC, and now the Olympus IBIS...they are all great to have. The jury is still out on the Olympus ability as it is still pretty new to me. My top 2 right now that I have used have been the Fuji - specifically on the 55-200/4-5.6 and the Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 in Nikon mount. They have truly stunned me in their capabilities. I've had images with each of those lenses at 1/4 of a second pin sharp.

Thanks for the explanation. I have been using Minolta and Sony digital for about 5 or 6 years, which has sensor stabilisation similar to Olympus - horizontal and vertical motion (it has no settings other than on or off). It seems to work much better on APS-C than full frame, since apparently making a caddy to shake a full frame sensor was quite difficult, and I think it seems to limit the ability (not withstanding the issue of how easy it may be to see shake on a 24MP FF image). However, I woulc much rather have it than not, since it generally means you can shoot at 1/focal length and get sharp results, whereas without may need a shutter speed considerably higher (as some have found with the Fuji 60mm, which may need 2-3x focal length shutter speeds for a really sharp result). For static subjects, anti shake is invaluable.

pominpocket

Why do you think folks here would care that you made the wrong choice and chose af speed over image quality? Do you care that I think you made a bad choice? I bet not, so can you see that I don't care what your choice was? Fuji picsre better, more 3d, more realistic and crisp. What a shame that you won't have as good IQ, oh well. Now, if I ever see your Fliker, I'll be thinking, "Wow, these images just don't look as good as Fuji images, but, uh, I wonder if he had fast AF, but, who cares, if the images are flat there's no nee to wonder about these photos anymore. Then I would be off to look at some Fuji images.

I am often amazed at how rude people can be, for no real reason. Conversely, if Gryphon had posted a web page telling everyone why he liked Fuji more than Olympus (or other cameras), I am sure people would be saying what a great blog it was. There are lots of good cameras available that have different strengths and weaknesses, and it's healthy to compare brands to see what the benefits and disadvantages are. Fuji have had AF performance that doesn't compare well to mirrorless competitors since the X100, and clearly for some people that's enough to put them off the cameras. I have total sympathy having owned an X Pro 1 since it was released in March 2012 - the AF has always been, and continues to be, a weakness of the camera. A technically high quality photo that is out of focus or missed the moment is no use, in my opinion. There's really no need to be rude or personal if you don't think Gryphon's choice is right for you, there are more constructive ways to express yourself, as I hope this post has proved.

Hear Hear

Really rude comment unprovoked too. Surely the idea of a forum is to discus photography and options in the tools. Also I challenge TNGuitar to spot the difference out of the camera between Fuji and Olympus.

K1W1_Mk2

The Fuji one is the 3x2 file and the Olympus one is the 4x3 file. Easy. Do I win a prize?

gryphon1911

Hear Hear

Really rude comment unprovoked too. Surely the idea of a forum is to discus photography and options in the tools. Also I challenge TNGuitar to spot the difference out of the camera between Fuji and Olympus.

I'll just chalk it up to people having a bad day sometimes...unless it becomes a habit then there are probably much deeper seeded issues, most likely nothing at all to do with us.

justa1972

I actually bought an OMD E10 before buying my XE2.

The E10 is a great camera but I just couldn't get on with it - just plain uncomfortable to hold and the menu system is hideous ! The plastic lenses felt horrible to me too.

I had it for a week and was lucky enough to not lose much money on it, bought the XE2 and loved it straight away - just feels like a proper camera...

jjb

Wow, a headline worthy of Buzzfeed.

Anyone who can use the Df 95% of the time probably wont ideologically match my usage and experience needs from a camera. There is no right or wrong in camera choice, but I can save time by knowing what is totally inappropriate to my own needs.

jjb

I actually bought an OMD E10 before buying my XE2.

The E10 is a great camera but I just couldn't get on with it - just plain uncomfortable to hold and the menu system is hideous ! The plastic lenses felt horrible to me too.

Yes I just sold my E-M10 also. I liked it, but just wasn't feeling it. I missed the immediacy of my dependable old X-E1. Looking forward to getting an X-T1 with improved AF, which was my only real gripe with the X-E1. The E-M10 certainly did feel reasonably fast with AF, but for my needs the system wasn't quite justified by that alone. With the X-E1 I felt like I had a trusty companion at my side. With the E-M series, it's more wizzbang dinky-ness.

Anyway, each to their own.

As always, pity the Fuji forum has so many vocal spammers.

gryphon1911

I've since added the HDL-6, grip part only and it has made the holding of the camera much more DSLR like in security.

I just found, at the time that the Olympus operational and AF speed way more reliable and efficient than the Fuji. Fuji is getting there, though.

justa1972

I've since added the HDL-6, grip part only and it has made the holding of the camera much more DSLR like in security.

I just found, at the time that the Olympus operational and AF speed way more reliable and efficient than the Fuji. Fuji is getting there, though.

Fair enough :)

I honestly haven't been able to tell much difference in AF speed between the EM10 and my XE2 - but too be fair I don't take action shots.

gryphon1911

I have a way different style and set of requirements for the way that I shoot. 99% of the people out there would be perfectly happy with the newest breed of Fuji as their main cameras.

I'm very trying on the performance that I require.

pominpocket

So you have the Nikon DF, the Olympus gadget and some kind of Fuji camera ?

I seem to remember you posting saying you had sold all your Fuji gear ?

gryphon1911

Yeah. Got a good deal on the Olympus and the Fuji fell in my lap. Whatcha gonna do? Sold the X-E1 and lenses for the Df.

andyfromboston

And now you've got an X100? You must go through cameras as quickly as I do. (In the last 5 or so years I've been in Minolta MD, Nikon, Sony NEX, Hasselblad V, M4/3 and Fuji.)

gryphon1911

And now you've got an X100? You must go through cameras as quickly as I do. (In the last 5 or so years I've been in Minolta MD, Nikon, Sony NEX, Hasselblad V, M4/3 and Fuji.)

lol...the only cameras I don't have are the X-E1, X10 and my original Nikon D50. I still have the others listed in the sig.

pcg

@gryphon1911, good to hear you're back into Fuji gear. Seemed like a sudden leap out when you bought the df. An X100 man!

gryphon1911

So far I'm liking it. Using the OVF more so than the EVF...giving it some time. :D