Sign in to follow this  
BigRoberto

AF-C FujiFilm X-T1

BigRoberto

Good morning!

I just bought an X-T1. And I noticed that in continuous focus mode,

the image in the viewfinder or on the display, it is constantly in motion, focus, then out of focus, focus, out of focus etc.

It 's normal to have this oscillation?

is a bit 'annoying to look at.

thanks

Roberto

veejaycee

It sounds like the lens is refocusing or attempting to maintain focus as the camera is moved. If this happens when the camera is not moved i.e. on a tripod, then maybe it is hunting because perhaps the light levels are extremely low. The XT1 has both CDAF and PDAF so in reasonable light it should not hunt.

gryphon1911

I found it to be "normal" when reviewing the camera.

I'm not sure if all the focus points are Phase Detect capable. Could it be that the focus point you've selected is contrast detect and it is trying to track? I noticed a similar phenomenon to what you describe when I used AF-C on my X-E1, which is a reason I never really used it.

Larry

The "C" in AF-C stands for continuous. The camera is continuously trying to establish focus wherever the + in the middle of the image is pointing. Every time you move the camera—even a little bit—it will force a refocus. This is enormously useful in many cases. Single allows you to half-press the shutter button and lock onto any subject within the focus rectangle. Manual is just what the word implies, however pushing the AF-L button with any Fujinon lens speeds up the process. With AF-C when photographing a subject in motion, fully press the shutter button, the camera will achieve focus if possible, and then will make the exposure.

artuk

The "C" in AF-C stands for continuous. The camera is continuously trying to establish focus wherever the + in the middle of the image is pointing. Every time you move the camera—even a little bit—it will force a refocus. This is enormously useful in many cases. Single allows you to half-press the shutter button and lock onto any subject within the focus rectangle. Manual is just what the word implies, however pushing the AF-L button with any Fujinon lens speeds up the process. With AF-C when photographing a subject in motion, fully press the shutter button, the camera will achieve focus if possible, and then will make the exposure.

I didn't think the X-T1 was limited to the rather useless + in the centre of the frame when using AF-C? I thought it would AF-C across a wider area?

I suspect Gryphon is right - the PDAF pixels on the sensor only cover the central area of the frame (I think marked from what I remember), The PDAF will only avoid the AFC hunting if you are trying to focus within that central area, and the PDAF is able to establish a focus distance. Otherwise, it's back to the old Fuji CDAF slowly wandering around.