Sign in to follow this  
manwithglasses

No shutter sound

manwithglasses

For some reason, I no longer get any shutter sounds, despite having them switched on. I've tried holding down the 'Disp/Back' button to switch the camera sound on and off, I've tried resetting it (from the menu) but without result. I appreciate the camera might be broken, but before I go down that route are there any other things I can try?

veejaycee

You have shutter sound on/off and shutter sound volume - which may be turned down. All on page 100 of the manual in setup menu.

You also have separately "Silent mode" which switches off all sounds and the flash - page 98 in setup menu.

Vic

manwithglasses

Hi Vic, thanks for your reply. I've tried both (setting the shutter volume to '3' as well as setting the silent mode to 'off') but no effect. I've just tried to record some video - on playback there's no sound either. I suspect the internal speaker may be knacked.

Oh well.

veejaycee

Sorry about that. It's not worth the repair cost though and at least it is something you can manage without.

Owtafocus

Good tip! Sometimes I don't want to hear it at all, and now I can silence it. Thanks.

farrell

I like quiet,too. I'm going to see if I can get it with the X-M1 and X-E1.

Larry

A focal plane shutter will always make some noise—and it is a focal plane in the X-M1 and X-E1. Leaf and electronic shutters are silent, or nearly so. However, the focal plane shutter sounds in the X-cameras are very quiet compared to most dSLRs.

Ultrax

Being used to clunky SLR cameras, the silent x10 confuses me if I switch off the shutter sound as I never know if it has taken a picture or not especially if it is up to my eye. So the shutter sound is not something I could do without.