JohnT

Question re: Quick Menu and Custom Settings

flysurfer

Since cameras with C1-C7 have no custom modes, there's always only one mode: their current settings, aka BASE. You can use C1-C7 to quickly change those current settings. That's all there is to it. There is no mode C1, C2, etc. There's only BASE, aka the current camera settings. It's like the STO and RCL buttons on the old calculator I used to have in school 35 years ago. Use C1-C7 to recall 7 frequently used sets of settings and overwrite the camera's current settings (BASE) with them. The old BASE simply changes to a different BASE.

mikescri

Like many others, the label "Basic" has given me much confusion, distraction & annoyance. As @JohnT, @flysurfer and others have said, it's actually the wrong word for a plausible (perhaps useful) setting. I don't speak Japanese, but it feels to me that it's the sort of thing that might be an easy mis-translation. I'd like Fuji to fix it in its next firmware updates, but what should they call this setting? Perhaps "Current" or "Last" or ?

If we're going to get this mis-translation fixed, we'd need to help Fuji find the best word to change it to. What do you recommend?

photogirl

If we're going to get this mis-translation fixed, we'd need to help Fuji find the best word to change it to. What do you recommend?

But surely any camera would be at the same setting when switched on, as it was when switched off. Even if it said Current or Last what's the difference!? If you're not sure/can't remember what those settings where, how will re-naming make a difference!!? By pressing the Q button, despite what it says, if you can't remember what the setting was then looking at all the info will show you.

If you had been using say C1 and changed just one of the saved settings on the fly, then the Q button saying you were on C1 would be misleading, as one of those saved settings had been changed, therefore you would have to redial C1 to get back to those saved settings.

Surely that makes sense, or is it just that I'm a woman!!!??

Don't answer that!!

Viv

;-)

Irishpotato73

Simply : no.

Ideal solution (Nikon style I must say) :

I choose settings

I name them

I switch them as I work

If one is alternated, it's temporary, and you can call it basic or current or put red dots, whatever.

Thing is, when after one month of not using camera and I start shooting, I don't have to remember what I set, I simply check which C setting named properly I'm on.

Period.

Simple.

GDamen

As someone stated before, reading the manual helps a lot. Doing so helps you to understand the logic behind the things you see.

I find using the C's on my X30 easy. The viewfinder shows me exactly which C-state I use as a base.

Gino

Irishpotato73

I completely agree, it would help if the corresponding Cs were shown.

Len_H

I agree with Photogirl. My previous camera was a Nikon D2X. You could rename all of the shooting menus on that beast, to enable ease of use during a shoot. BUT, it still did not stop you from altering a setting on each shooting mode 'in-shoot' which would still be there when you used the camera the next time. So you had to ensure you either remembered the previous settings or just did the practical thing of resetting the menu bank on switch on (or switch off).And that is just it; to get around all these issues you should use a little bit of discipline in ensuring the camera is set to what you need before each shoot situation. It helps, but you don't really need a C menu or base menu or shooting bank, for that.

arbeefuji

Happy that I'm not the only one that has an issue with this. I've shot with Nikons for many years and maybe I've become "spoiled" by actually being able to understand their plain language custom settings.

photogirl

Typical of you men, if yer socks don't jump out and say 'Here I am!!' you can never find them!!!

:-))

Mikieb53

There is an X photographer named Adam Piper on YouTube whose user name is FuzzyWasHeBear, and he is in the UK. He has a wonderful video posted which explains using custom settings on the X-Pro1. Here is a link:

Enjoy!

MJB

Has anyone managed to change the items in the Q menu and make C1 - C7 save new values correctly?

I shoot in RAW so most of the default Q menu items were irrelevant. I therefore used Menu>Settings 3>Edit/Save Quick Menu to change them to more relevant items. This correctly changed the Q menu but when I checked the new settings in Menu>Shooting 3>Edit/Save Custom Settings the items were still the default items. Presumably this is just a bug that can be worked around by only using the Q menu.

When I tried saving the new items I hit a couple of additional problems. First, it was quite tricky to save the changed items. Second, when I did manage to get the Save dialog box displayed, only some of the items actually got saved. For example, ISO seemed to be consistently saved but Photometry was consistently overwritten by changing the setting in the camera, in BASE or in any other custom setting. I knew that some of the settings were classed as "Universal" so that changing one anywhere changed them all but I had not read that Photometry was one of these.

The Q menu is obviously useful for making quick changes using BASE. However, I can not imagine using C1 - C7 for serious photography until saving is more predictable and the Q menu shows which C1 - C7 items are "Universal" and which can actually be saved. 

MJB

I think I have answered my own question and, at last, figured out how BASE and C1-C7 work. It has taken a lot of experimentation so other people may be interested.

There are 30 available settings that can be assigned to any of the 16 cells in the Q menu. Only 9 of these can be saved. They are the ones listed in Menu>Shooting 3>Edit/Save Custom Setting and are ISO, Dynamic Range, Film Simulation, White Balance, Color, Sharpness, Highlight Tone, Shadow Tone and Noise Reduction. Since these are the only ones you can save, they are the only ones listed in the Save dialog box.

If you change the items displayed in the Q menu using Menu>Settings 2>Edit/Save Quick Menu you change the items displayed but not the items that can be saved. That is why the list of items shown when you save the C1-C7 settings does not change. My mistake was to assume the list of items to save would match the items displayed in the Q menu.

Every Q menu will contain some items that cannot be saved (there are 15 available cells and only 9 items can be saved). If you change one of these in C1-C7 you will simply change the matching value in BASE (i.e the current camera setting). If you change one that can be saved, you still change the value in BASE but also a red dot lights up. This dot means that a temporary change has been made to that item so you may want to save it. If you do not save the change, the previously saved value will be retained.

The reason saving does not always appear to work is because it only needs to do anything when you change at least one item that can be saved.

If, like me, you shoot RAW, the only relevant item that can be saved is ISO so there is no benefit in using C1-C7 at all. In theory you can assign an item to the top left cell in place of BASE but in practice there are only 15 settings that are relevant in RAW so there is no need. My conclusion is that, for RAW shooters, it is best to put all the relevant items on the Quick menu and just use the BASE as a quick way to change them.

Sorry if my previous post caused any confusion and I hope this has cleared it up.

veejaycee

I shoot raw and I've never used the Q menu - in fact I hate the way my thumb keeps pressing it by mistake.

If I want a setting changed or different method of operation I simply enter the necessary myself. In reality I use the menus very little. I shoot either manual or A/P mostly in M using the back button focus or S mode. If I shoot moving stuff I have the zone choices on the 4 way switches.