Filter and hood for X100s

pominpocket

First of all I am very sorry to bring this up as I realize this has been discussed in so much detail on this forum.

Sorry to waste your time with this and to be unable to summon up the relevant threads. I put in a search filter and hood for X100/x100s and only got a load of totally different subjects.

Anyway I have lost my lens cap for the X100s and do not want to scratch the lens. I believe there is a filter and hood that can be used. I am in Sydney . I have seen them for sale .

I do not have the camera with me .

1. Do they add bulk to the camera? I keep the X100S inside a pouch.

2. Does the hood really help with flare or is it just more cosmetic?

3. Is it worth risking having no filter or lens cap to keep the out fit small?

4. What is the average price? I also will be getting a soft press lady bird shutter button. $27

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.Yes

2.Uncertain;I will not use one unless I see evidence of genuine need indicated by my own research.

3.Don't think so;I would pay Fuji's exorbitant price for a replacement cap, not believing in filters as lens caps.

4.Don't knpow.

$_14.JPG

Aus$21.00 on ebay including delivery (to Australia)

Search for "JJC LH-JX100II"

No vignetting, no additional glass filter required, they come in black if you want.

That lens hood looks pretty nice. Pominpocket, you should either use something like that or pick up a glass filter. I just picked up a Hoya HD.

If you don't want to add bulk, just add the filter with no hood.

If you screw a filter directly the camera you will get an error message every time the camera tries to extend the front element of it's lens, for example when it starts up and when trying to take photos in macro mode.

You either need to buy the hood to get the spacer ring to screw the filter to or you need to get an old filter knock the glass out of it screw it to the lens backwards as a spacer and then screw a second filter to the spacer.

Every lens you use should have a hood on it

I wouldn't use a lens without a hood ever

Its not there to look pretty it does an important job keeping flare out

Some lenses are more flare-prone than others. The 55mm Micro-Nikkors are so deeply recessed they have no need for a hood. Nikon does recommend the HN-3 len hood for

people who wouldn't use a lens without a hood ever. I experimented with hoods for

my Fuji 27mm and tossed them.

I would not use a hood on the X100S(when I get one)for pocketability.

It looks to me as though the front element is fairly well-recessed.

If I were to recognize a need for a hood, I might carry one in another pocket.

As a matter of fact I have the exact type hood shown by K1W1_Mk2 except black.

And if I had bigger pockets, I'd already have an X100S.

Yes I agree. Small as it is the X100s will not fit into my jean pocket and its too hot to wear a jacket where I live. The X10 even was smaller and I notice I have taken far more pictures with the X10.

Even on a pouch I notice a weight with the X100S and a further hood would act bulk.

I am even tempted by the X20 for a note book style camera using DSLR or XT1 for more important stuff. Having said that I do love what the X100S can do and am thinking about the new conversion lens for portraits and then not having any other Fuju at least.

I am a little over weight to be honest. The pouch is bulky next to my gut. Maybe I should get rid of the gut and add the hood.

My intended use of the X100S is as a compact camera with a relatively large sensor.

My X-M1 and 27mm are serving fairly well there, but the X100S is a thinner package

and has important viewing alternatives.

Yes also in the UK and Australia its deep pockets.

On this forum I hear many people say the X100s can not fit in a pocket. I lived in a valley called Middle Pocket and that kind of reflects my income when I am doing ok.

The weight of a Fuji LH-X200 lens hood is 0.6 ounces (17g) and a Hoya 49mm HMC UV-filter is 0.4 ounces (11G) (acquired from B&H used department). The X100S is an expensive camera and would strongly recommend an adapter and clear filter at the minimum to protect the Fuji lens. The hood, besides blocking stray light, adds an additional layer of protection when you smack the bar at the local pub. Hood does have to be removed when using flash as you will notice slight shadowing in the lower left and right corners.

Archived