Filter and hood for X100s

pominpocket

@rccjr:I've been very much aware of the recommendations for 50 years or so.

They originated with sales people, for whom I have a built-in disregard.

I will not use filters as lens lens caps. I will not use hoods as bumpers.

I generally use lens hoods where pocketabilty is not important. Not all lenses

need hoods, and by all accounts I have any confidence in, the X100S's lens is

one that doesn't. My Fuji 27 clearly doesn't.

For my intended X100S use it is not the weight but the volume that is

unacceptable in the absence of genuine demonstrated need.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the way camera sales people tell you that you need a UV filter to protect your precious investment then sell you a $10 one that has $9 profit in it and the optical qualities that you would expect from a piece of glass that costs a few cents to manufacture.

Well-said. I have nothing in principle against filters as filters but aside from

ND's for special projects I seldom have any need for them.

Being the quite old dog that I am now, I can be quite a hard sell for "recommendations."

And a short reminder that digital cameras do not need UV protection like films did.

I have hoods on all my lenses at all times. Protects against hits and flare, it is there for a reason. Many people wear sunglasses even when not needed just to look hip, but using a lens shade is not hip?

I am using my X100S without a hood or a lens cap now.

Its true why put such a nice lens through cheap glass?

The hood would make it difficult to carry. I carry the X100S everywhere on a waist pouch.

I just try and be careful with it .

I will use the lens cap;for my shooting, I'm not afraid of being caught without

enough time to remove it. And, as I have said, my own research will determine

my use or non-use of a lens hood. As for lens hoods as bumpers, any impact to a

lens hood is passed on to the lens and likely would not have happened without the extension of a hood.

I have lost the lens cap. It worked fine as did the one on the X10. I think I may find it yet. I agree the longer the lens the more knocks it attracts. I love the dinky little X100S lens.

Cheap spring loaded lens caps from eBay cost less than $2 each and work as well if not better than the Fuji ones. I leave the hood on the X100s all the time and just use a 49mm pinch cap.

I have the latest type JJC hood/filter holder that the OEM Fuji push-on cap fits.

I have ordered the OEM Fuji protector filter. Even so, I'm still planning to

research the feasibility of going hoodless with the X100S for pocketability.

Ken Rockwell says he never uses one. I don't always agree with everything he says,

but I read his remarks. BTW, he just posted a rave review for the X-T1 after his was

finally delivered.

@petera,Petrus:You and others are not the first short-timers out of nurseries to presume to counsel me on the matter. I formulate and follow my own recommendations

based on my own research. You are not going to put me on the path of the righteous

as perceived by you.

@petera,Petrus:You and others are not the first short-timers out of nurseries to presume to counsel me on the matter.

If you want to re-invent everything by yourself, fine. That is not the way societies advance.

My nursery has been a long one: 37 years of professional press photography. Never a damaged front element.

Oh dear I only have 30 years experience as a professional photographer and now own a gallery

What the hell do i know :(

on a "serious" note .... There are not that many pro's around on forums

The ones that are can offer great advice and I can't help feeling its silly to ignore what really is a great resource

Im happy to be on a forum and offer advice , I am not into pixel counts etc etc but just real world getting the job done photography ..

Thats how I shoot and encourage others to do the same

I could go on all day why a lens hood should be on a lens but I won't

If fitting a camera into a pocket is more important than the final image then great and good luck .

If leaving a camera at home because it does not fit in your pocket due to a filter and a hood there will no final image my camera will be left at home more likely than not.

I use the X100S as a compact camera and its border line now.

Anyway don't people use flare now as a creative tool?

What the hell do i know :(.

Not much if you have not run around in a war situation with 3 SLR banging around. Work 10 years longer and you'll catch up (retiring soon...).

Oh dear.

OK here's the solution. Put the X100s with lens cover on in one pocket, and the hood in the other, put together when needed.

Simples!!

It must be a man thing!!

:P

Yes photogirl probably the best solution maybe I will post a picture of my day to day walk around set up. I still miss the little zoom of the X10. I have always kept a cover or lens filter on my lenses and once dropped a D90 with zoom on some rocks in the blue mountains and it saved the lens by taking the full blow and shattering .

But the other day the X100s ' silver lens cap saved my life when I was shot by a sniper from a roof top here in the post election war zone in down town Phnom Penh the bullet would have hit my heart otherwise. It did not even dent it.

But the other day the X100s ' silver lens cap saved my life when I was shot by a sniper from a roof top here in the post election war zone in down town Phnom Penh the bullet would have hit my heart otherwise. It did not even dent it.

I told Kiwi to go for a head shot! :)

:-O

I cannot belieeeeve you said that!!!

:|

Oh K1W1 was on a motorbike carrying a machine gun, he ignored your instructions about the head shot instead shot my Nikon DF to smithereens. Just such a shame my travel insurance would not cover it.

Oh K1W1 was on a motorbike carrying a machine gun, he ignored your instructions about the head shot instead shot my Nikon DF to smithereens. Just such a shame my travel insurance would not cover it.

:) :)

That's why I believe in lens caps. I'm just a little less pathological about hoods.

And no, I don't carry one in my wallet. At my age that would be just more needless

luggage.

Archived