Sign in to follow this  
marco88

Face Recognition

marco88

Hi there,

Quick question about the Face Recognition feature which I have setup to identify my family members:

Does the camera save anywhere in the JPEG files the name of the person it has identified during photo taking?

I use IMatch for storing/sorting my photos. I could then potentially sort them using this information.

PS: I don't use RAW just JPEG.

Cheers

Marc.

mattmaber

I think it just recognises a 'face' I dont think the camera knows who's face it is.

dmward

I think you're confused about how Face Detect works in the Fuji X cameras. It is a focusing option. i.e. with Face detect activated the focus system looks for a face and uses it as the focus point.

It has nothing to do with recognizing a particular person by facial characteristics.

That is a capability built into certain editing and organizing software, such as iPhoto.

mattmaber

indeed. even then its very basic on the X10 AFAIK.

marco88

Actually I meant face detect and yes it does recognize people also it files the photos with this information somewhere as I can search for photos in the camera per people name.

But the question is whether it saves that info in the photo itself (I think not). I looked at the meta data quickly in some of the JPEG I took but I can't see anything about that.

If it is stored somewhere in the photo itself then I could look it up with scripting in IMatch and then auto categorize it. It would save me lots time.

marco88

To get it to recognize people you need to take one good picture of that person register it with a name (and date of birth if you fancy) then when focusing it will display the name of the person it is focusing on and when saving the photo it files it somehow against that name. You can then later do a search on the camera per name. Pretty neat stuff. If it could just push the name to the meta data for that photo that would be great!!!

veejaycee

Page 87. Shooting mode.

Face recognition.

Add portrait subjects to the face recognition database. These will be given priority during "Intelligent Face Detection", and their names and other information can be viewed during playback.

Good GOD! I just realised how terribly old I am! Whatever happened to photography!

farrell

ME TOO! Now I'm frivolously wondering if one might photograph and name other body parts and register them in the cameras's database. What are the criteria that the

camera will accept as a "face" or will it take at "face value" whatever it is told

is a face?

Ah well;highly disciplined thinking is the signature of a highly disorderly mind.

K1W1_Mk2

Nice thought @farrell but a camera needs a traditional face (eyes, nose, mouth) shape to be able to recognise a face.

You can tell those people who read their user manual can't you. :D

When I got my X10 I was going to set this up but I quickly realised I take bugger all photos of my kids in particular because they are at the "hide from the camera" phase so if I had I would have taken maybe 10 photos on the X10 where this would have been useful. Tagging them in Lightroom is just as easy for me but of course other peoples experiences will vary.

RichardCFrost

@kiwi Same here with the XQ1. Thought about using it then I thought no, it's just a distraction. Great for snapshots and party goers though, but I would not have thought they would use an X camera. This is probably a feature which has bled through from the consumer range maybe?

As for the OP, don't know if it is in the EXIF data or not, but if not, I am not sure where else the camera would store it. You need one of those apps that can examine EXIF, never had a call for them myself. I use iPhoto for face recognition and cataloging and it does a great job, apart from the occasional face it will see in a tree!

marco88

I currently use IMatch and sadly it does not support face recognition.