Sign in to follow this  
Raglan

Fn woes

Raglan

Had my new X20 for a few days. Assigning a function to the Fn button is simple, the manual explains what to do but does not explain how to use the function once the Fn button has been pressed and I want to use the assigned function.

The issue I have is: I have assigned "intellegent 2x zoom" to my X20's Fn button but when I access it by pressing the Fn button, there seems no way to actually get to use the "intellegent x2 zoom". The camera simply remains on optical zoom.

Yes, I know I can access this digital zoom feature through the regular menu, but the Fn menu does bring up the option to assign the digi zoom.

Also I have exacly the same issue when assigning other functions in this way i.e. nothing happens.

Can anyone take me through the steps to sanity... please? Thanks in advance

BTW... love this little camera. Paul.

K1W1_Mk2

For that feature you might have to hold the button down. Have you tried that?

The other thing that may be an issue is if you are in one of the auto modes on the camera (Program for example) which may disable user controllable features.

Raglan

Yes, I have tried these. Doesn't matter which mode is set on the dial.

K1W1_Mk2

On my X100s when I asign something to the Fn button pressing the Fn button either turns that feature on or off (the inbuilt ND filter for example) or brings up the menu item to allow a selection (toggling between the WCL, standard lens or TCL for example). If you are pushing the Fn button and nothing is happening maybe it is faulty.

Devaman

I am a recent newcomer to the Fuji X20 and I have assigned ISO to the Fn button. When I press it while in program the ISO choices appear and allow me to choose.

It sounds like there may be a fault with the camera.

Hope this helps and good luck with your problem.

philiphurst

It is really quite simple. Using P or Auto mode, just press the Fn button once (after you have assigned the digital zoom function to the Fn button) and you will see the image on the EVF (NOT in the optical finder) zoom in on the centre portion of the screen; it works at all focal lengths, but it's pointless at anything other than the 112mm maximum zoom. You have to compose from the EVF, although I find that I can now intuitively judge where the digital zoom crop will be even when using the optical finder. Remember that your image when using the digital zoom will only be 6Mp (if you are using the Fine quality setting for JPEGs).

photogirl

It is really quite simple. Using P or Auto mode, just press the Fn button once (after you have assigned the digital zoom function to the Fn button) and you will see the image on the EVF (NOT in the optical finder) zoom in on the centre portion of the screen; it works at all focal lengths, but it's pointless at anything other than the 112mm maximum zoom. You have to compose from the EVF, although I find that I can now intuitively judge where the digital zoom crop will be even when using the optical finder. Remember that your image when using the digital zoom will only be 6Mp (if you are using the Fine quality setting for JPEGs).

If the fn button is working correctly and you have assigned it to digital zoom then after pressing you should see the blue magnifying glass on the back corner of the back LCD, press it again and it's back to normal zoom so goes.

As far as the XS1 is concerned you press it once for 1.4x and again for 2.0x then a third time to close it and back to normal zoom.

Viv

solsang

The digital zoom only works for JPG, so nothing happens if you record raw or raw+jpg!

Furthermore the viewfinder will not display anything when digital zoom is engaged, forcing you to use the monitor (which shows the magnified view)

The SR setting is always JPG only, so if you assign digital zoom to FN then turning the wheel to SR will make it work even if you have raw pr raw+jpg generally assigned (only the FN button will be useless in PASM modes)

FN settings are easy to change with holding the FN button down 2 seconds, some options give you a menu while others change immediately

Digital zoom more clearly shows the noise reduction, and since you cannot record raw it is important to select good jpg settings, for example noise reduction -1 or -2 and maybe sharpening +1 and consider using vivid (or whatever else is fitting for the scene)

VSorin

Fn button settings menu pops up randomly. Sometimes ovf/lcd selector(funktion i assogned) pops up. Can anyone help? X20 is the camera.