Sign in to follow this  
philiphurst

New X30 "coming on July 3" ?

philiphurst

According to Fujirumors (http://www.fujirumors.com/?s=X30) a new X30 with a "larger than 1-inch sensor" will be released on July 3. If it is – who knows? – how nice it would be if it were to have a much improved optical viewfinder too, 100% field of view and more like the optical part of the X100 than the tunnel-vision one we have at the moment.

epping

I have a plan to buy X20. And some rumours about X30 or even X200 make me wait.

SimonHo

i've been using a x10 for over 2 years, if there is this 100% field of view optical viewfinder, i am keen to get one : >

richheath

I wonder if they might replace the OVF with an EVF - it might be cheaper and offer 100% view. If they can work their clever EVF optics from the X-T1 into the X30 (albeit smaller) then they could be on to a real winner...

darngooddesign

I wonder if the X30 will be pushed back so Fuji can make it more competitive against the new RX100v3 and its swanky EVF.

anthonymerto

i really hope the x30 will be able to compete with the sony rx100 M3.

i'm liking all of sony's options out there right now.

i've owned nothing but fuji (not high end, just point and shoots) and i'm a guy who likes to stick with brands. i just have that type of loyalty to stuff.

rx100 m2

rx100 m3

rx10

a6000

are all on my radar.

but if the x30 is indeed improved and hopefully with a bigger sensor (not that its the deal breaker, but would be nice) i really want them to compete with the sony products i listed.

darngooddesign

Imagine if Fuji leapfrogged Sony and stuck a m4/3 sensor in the X30.

darngooddesign

Imagine if the tooth fairy was real.

Can you imagine if Fuji started offering all manual controls on its cameras and dials instead of a PASM dial. Imagine if they did a hybrid viewfinder.

farrell

darngooddreamin';there is nothing intrinsically evil about PASM.

farrell

Anyone who cannot manage PASM to good effect will probably be just as helpless with

any other control system.

Davelovesfujix20

owned an X20 for about a year now... not much not to like. Keep the OVF with the overlay, add a flippy screen, and a 1" sensor would be a bonus, OH yeah built in ND. oh yeah the XT-1 Wifi and remote viewing software. That would keep me going for a while

K1W1_Mk2

But will the existing lens work with a 1" sensor? You would kind of think it won't being that it's fixed and presumably designed around the current sensor size.

Mklives

i really hope the x30 will be able to compete with the sony rx100 M3.

i'm liking all of sony's options out there right now.

i've owned nothing but fuji (not high end, just point and shoots) and i'm a guy who likes to stick with brands. i just have that type of loyalty to stuff.

rx100 m2

rx100 m3

rx10

a6000

are all on my radar.

but if the x30 is indeed improved and hopefully with a bigger sensor (not that its the deal breaker, but would be nice) i really want them to compete with the sony products i listed.

The Fuji x30 is a totally different type of camera, and will be several years behind the RX100m3 in terms of technology, since the x20 is about 5 years behind it. Rx100m3 has better video than any DSLR on the market, and it fits in your pocket. The X30 won't come close to this, and won't be pocketable. It will probably be more attractive and a more fun camera to use though, with better manual controls.

RichardCFrost

@mklives Agree. The XQ1 is the model to compare with the RX100, size for size and considering the control arrangements. Clearly the XQ1 is not as good re IQ but significantly lower in cost, whereas the RX100 is generally considered to be a bit bland to operate, with the smooth lens control ring.

I'm not sure what other camera compares to the X10/20, they are pretty unique. The combination of the manual controls, bright lens and manual zoom makes them unique in their peer group I believe.

@k1w1 agree. The lens and it's manual zoom mechanism is the standout feature of the X10/20, along with the manual controls. If a 1" sensor can be squeezed in without compromising on the lens and the overall camera size, it could well be a compelling package.

If all of the things on the wish list above are implemented on the X30, this would create a camera which begins to look like a challenger to the X100S and it's successor. Not sure quite how much overlap Fuji would want there.

Whilst I love my XQ1 and am in awe of the IQ for such a small camera, I really miss the way my X10 handled, and an X30 may well find it's way onto my Christmas list rather than the X100S. Let's wait and see what gets announced, if anything.

anthonymerto

The Fuji x30 is a totally different type of camera, and will be several years behind the RX100m3 in terms of technology, since the x20 is about 5 years behind it. Rx100m3 has better video than any DSLR on the market, and it fits in your pocket. The X30 won't come close to this, and won't be pocketable. It will probably be more attractive and a more fun camera to use though, with better manual controls.

i understand that its a different camera. i own a x20.

i love the camera.

i do wish it had a evf. as i said, i've mostly only owned point and shoots, and i'm just used to using a evf.

having better video quality and options would be a great thing, i understand its not their priority, but it would be a definitely plus, especially with a manual zoom, unlike the sony rx10 with fly by wire zoom. i know that its used for smoother zooming.

if there is a 1 inch sensor i'm sure it'll be a big camera, probably like a x100(s) size.

i'm ok with that.

i would love the pocketability of a rx100 m3, but i just feel that its too small, and hard to grip (i know there are aftermarket grips) but i've never actually held one in my hand.

i'm not trying to debate with anyone, i just selfishly want my own wish list of features in the x30 that would make it possibly the greatest camera i could ever want and use.

i just love jack of all trades, and versatile equipment instead of greatness at one thing.

i'm sure other people see things differently.

philiphurst

I didn't realise I would start so many hares with my post.

Several folk have mentioned the Sony RX100 III. Sure it has a larger sensor but it simply doesn't handle as nicely as my X20 -- manual zoom, for example -- and the IQ on the X20 is remarkable for the installed sensor. Thus if there is to be an X30, in addition to the mooted larger-than-Sony RX100 sensor, I would like it to address the few niggles I have with my X20, e.g. the viewfinder, as I said. (But the Mk III Sony does have a great EVF . . .)

cscamp

The question is, do you prefer the image on the X20 or the RX100? i have seen the images on the RX100m2 and X20 but for some reason i still prefer the X20. Maybe i am biased. What about you guys?

philiphurst

I bought my X20 because I want an optical viewfinder. Back in the days of film my favourite camera was my Contax G2, which had a terrific optical finder, as well as amazing Zeiss T* lenses. The X20 OVF only gives you a bit over 80% of the field of vision the lens is seeing, and compared to the X100 (which admittedly is a lot more expensive) is rather cramped. The screen on the rear of the X20 doesn't seem inferior to the Sony RX100, but I don't own a Sony so it was only a one-off comparison. My usual, though not invariable, means of composition is the optical finder, rather than the LED screen, except for panoramas and special functions like the ProLowLight. It's the optical viewfinder that was the decisive selling point of the X20, and it's this that I am hoping will be improved if there is to be an X30 with an enhanced sensor. The rest of the X20 I'm very happy with.

boulevardier

I agree with you philiphurst, a little X with an accurate OVF would be a must. I shoot mostly B&W on mine, and it can do a very good impression of a compact film camera with a few tweaks in post.

brianvickers

The Sony RX100 proves that you can use a bigger sensor with a small lens....I hope that is what comes with the X30....I really hope they don't go away from the optical viewfinder (a hybrid fine but not a pure EVF) and I hope they don't move away from the great character and layout of the X10/20

davidenespana

As an X20 owner for 1 year, my wishlist for the X30 would include:

-3Ev to +3Ev exposure compensation

5 frame bracketing (-2, -1, 0, +1, +2Ev)

Optical viewfinder as current, but with 95% view

Canon style fully swivelling view screen

A port cover that isn't quite so fiddly to get seated properly!

A Fuji camera case that isn't so stupidly expensive

- I wouldn't mind if the body had to get a bit wider to accommodate the swivelling screen. Apart from that - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

flysurfer

X30? Sure, everybody can predict that such a camera will happen rather sooner than later. On July 3rd? Unlikely.

timo

Question: if the X30 has a larger sensor, does that mean that the optimum aperture will be a stop or so 'more stopped down' than on the X20 (where it around f/4)? If so, will this not partially offset any improvement in high ISO performance?