Sign in to follow this  
philiphurst

New X30 "coming on July 3" ?

boulevardier

Question: if the X30 has a larger sensor, does that mean that the optimum aperture will be a stop or so 'more stopped down' than on the X20 (where it around f/4)? If so, will this not partially offset any improvement in high ISO performance?

Not sure I understand your point. The main advantage of a larger sensor is better high ISO performance. You infer an optimum depth of field, which is necessary for some varieties of photography. This is dependent on sensor size, with f-stops being a moveable feast to provide it.

This is a good explanation:

timo

No, I was talking about optimum sharpness and ignoring depth of field. Some people might regard the shallower depth of field associated with a larger sensor as a plus. With the larger sensor you might feel the need to stop down the lens more to achieve optimum sharpness; but then you might also have to bump up the ISO in order to keep the shutter speed under control.

boulevardier

No, I was talking about optimum sharpness and ignoring depth of field. Some people might regard the shallower depth of field associated with a larger sensor as a plus. With the larger sensor you might feel the need to stop down the lens more to achieve optimum sharpness; but then you might also have to bump up the ISO in order to keep the shutter speed under control.

Yes, I require deep DoF, preferably about 3ft onwards. Small sensor cameras provide this at relatively wide aperture settings (my camera phone is great for it). However lenses that throw a larger image circle on bigger formats, do not degrade the image at the same f-stop. For example 35mm (and equivalent) lens IQ usually begins to fall off at f8 (approx), whereas a large format lens would not have reached its optimum setting, and a compact digital would be way into diffraction territory.

Providing greater DoF at wider apertures is one of the reasons I favour small sensor cameras, so long as there's sufficient light to shoot at lower ISOs.