Sign in to follow this  
vuksha

why x10 overexposes?

vuksha

hi,

i am using this camera for 10 days and i like it. recently discovered the M size advantages...

my fuji x10 is generally overexposing images but i mostly solve that with -1EV exposure compensation...

BUT what i just discovered shooting in the room with low indoor light is that the camera overexposes

even more ONLY if these 3 parameters are used simultaneously:

1. dr400

2. iso100

3. speed > 1/4s (longer)

please let me know if your x10 does the same thing.

thanks!

K1W1_Mk2

If you have DR400 set the minimum iso used is 800 and the camera will ignore the iso100 setting.

Try setting the DR to DR100 and see what happens.

vuksha

it does not ignore iso100. neither ignores iso200. but with iso200 i can shoot longer exposures...

just like when i choose dr200. with dr100 problem solved, just like with S 1/6.

please just try the configuration: dr400, iso100, speed 1/2. i see big difference.

picture size M.

boulevardier

Yes, the X10 overexposes. I continually ride the compensation dial between -1/3 and -1 and 2/3 stops to get the look I want. It's a good way of learning to pin exposure, and the comp wheel is easily accessible.

vuksha

boulevardier,

we both seem to like darker exposures than fuji X10 default. as you said, it can be easily controlled by keeping the comp. dial in negative range...

but the situation i described makes my fuji go brighter considerably more. i estimate 1EV more. S 1/4 is the limit, the precise point where this happens. for some reason changing DR to 200 or ISO 200, gives more room for speed to be slower without the additional exposure effect to happen.

problem can be solved with dr100 or iso400 but i was curious to know if it was only happening with my camera and why does that happen?

Poppa-D

What @K1W1_Mk2 said. The camera is incapable of DR400 at ISO100. If memory serves, base ISO for X10 is 100. Therefore DR400 is only available at ISO400.

vuksha

hi everyone,

dr400/iso100 is the reason why i shoot M size images. it works. except for very long exposures. it is interesting to me that PSM modes dont allow slower speeds than 1/4 if dr400 is activated.

the fact that i am allowed to do it in A mode (at the expense of additional overexposure)

could be a minor bug in software. anyone willing to try?

anyway, thank you for your responses.

farrell

Wouldn't you like to shoot large files? Maybe you read and heed.

vuksha

hi pharrell,

for now i prefer M size. it is a compromise. seems acceptable to me.

i will see...