jonathanajay

shutter button not working when MF lens is attached

jonathanajay

HI i recently got a 85mm manual focus lens and the shutter button wont work to take pics. i set the focus to manual and when i put a fuji kit lens on the shutter works. any ideas what im doing wrong.

morpheme

You may need to set the camera to "shoot without lens" If the lens doesn't have electronics that the camera recognizes it may not trigger the shutter otherwise. I have a manual adapter for my Nikon lenses that requires this setting.

Albert

I always leave the 'shoot without lens option active. About half of my shooting is with adapted lenses.

jeremyclarke

+1 it's weird that the feature is disabled by default, since there's no apparent downside to leaving it on all the time regardless of what lens is on.

I guess it stops you from (for some reason) taking completely out of focus shots when no lens at all is attached, but IMHO I can take care of that myself by not being an insane person :)

mattmaber

isn't it bad for the sensor to be taking pics with no lens attached? attracts dust etc?

boulevardier

I leave the camera in the default position when using Fuji lenses, because it reminds me to set the camera to manual focus and adjust the focal length when I move to 'shoot without lens'. What the penalty for not adjusting focal length or leaving it on shoot without lens is, I have no idea, but I know not setting manual focus in the menu means I can't go to high magnification to check focus.

Does anyone know what effect setting the focal length of a manual lens has?

jeremyclarke

@mattamber I'm sure it's not ideal to have the sensor taking pics with no lens, but it's already exposed if there's nothing covering it, so my main priority is covering it right away, rather than the chance that I push the shutter button by accident!

@Boulevardier I think the main effect of setting a focal length is just the EXIF data in the images you produce (might be cool if they had something similar for manually setting the aperture too, though I'd end up forgetting to change it all the time). I think with some Leica lenses it can also affect the OVF on the X-PRO but not sure how/when/if that works and whether it applies to other manual lenses.

mattmaber

@jeremyclarke as I understand it though, when you actuate the shutter the sensor actually attracts more dust.

Albert

@jeremyclarke as I understand it though, when you actuate the shutter the sensor actually attracts more dust.

Possibly, but as @jeremyclarke said, you need to be a bit daft to do this more than once with nothing attached to the lens mount. My sensor is never exposed to the elements for longer than it takes to change lenses or fit a body cap.

JimS

You may need to set the camera to "shoot without lens" If the lens doesn't have electronics that the camera recognizes it may not trigger the shutter otherwise. I have a manual adapter for my Nikon lenses that requires this setting.

Thanks, I got a Fotodixo adapter for Nikon G to Fuji X mount for my EX-2 to see if I can use a bag full go Nikon G lens. The shutter was locked and I've been searching all over for what settings was causing the problem. Thought I bought the wrong adapter but then this thread and you solved the problem.

Thanks so much, this blog is really good for solving problems or finding someone who had the same thing.

Cerebral Chasm

Just bought my first wide angle lens for my X-M1 and the shutter button wouldn't work.  Google is my friend -  and this was the first page I clicked on.  Changed the setting on my camera............... whoo hoo!   Thank you very much for the knowledge of the above posters.  I now have a working shutter button with wide angle lens. :D :D :D

Edited by Cerebral Chasm
typo

grunzer

Thank you for reminding me about this setting, works for my new Rokinon 7 mm

hexheadtn

I was so disappointed in my ebay purchase of an X-M1 body when I attached a lens and pressed the shutter button and nothing happened. Thanks to all the posts on this thread, all is well. That thread made me smile with glee, and now I am ready to see what my old vintage lenses can do. Thanks all!