READ ERROR

fujixt1photographer

Hello

I have already sent one Fuji camera back due to getting this message after taking a photograph and clicking the review button. When you scroll in and out on the photograph using the front and back dials i get this Read error.

nWE2ya

I first of all was told to try a new memory card and then try re formatting the cards etc I have done all this and then now on the 2nd camera i have had exchanged the same problem is happening all over again!

Please can anyone shed any light on this? The memory cards i have used are 2 sandisc 16gb 80mb/s write speed and a sandisc 4gb 30mb/s write speed and it is happening after i take every shot.

when i tried a non san disc card it then wouldn't even write the file to the memory card.

The photos are storing to the memory card ok but i just cannot review them after taking the photograph.

Thank you so much for your help i am really tempted to get my money back on the camera as its been nothing but issues :-(

Sorry to hear you're having some issues. Just a few questions to get the ball rolling:

What are you doing to get the images off the card - card reader, or connecting the camera to your computer?

Are you using a Mac or PC? What OS?

Are you manipulating images directly on the card itself using third party software?

Does it initially work correctly after the card is formatted, and then stop working?

fujixt1photographer

I have an iMac so i take the SD card out from the camera and inset it into the SD card reader.

The error occurs when i press the playback button on the camera and if i use the front or back wheel to scroll through or look at the image close up. Sometimes tho this will also happen when I just press the playback button.

The first time it happened Fuji said it was a Card reader error in the camera but 2 cameras on the trot... Its not happened with anyone else i know with the Xt-1 so its kinda a why me lol :-)

When i phoned sandisc i was told to try FAT32 format on the cards and i have done this and it worked for so long before the error turned up and then as soon the Read error came up its now on every photograph i take and its getting annoying :-(

Thank you so much for your help

Historically Fujifilm has been struggling with files left on SD cards by OSX. This was in particular a problem with the X100 when launched and it took a few firmware updates before the X100 became completely immune to files left on the card by a host OS. Such files may be for thumbnails or indexing and left on the card by various applications on the iMac (or PC) e.g. when viewing images, and they and can be hidden. As Sandisk pointed out, a good thorough formatting (now quick formatting) may bee needed and another advise, I heard, was to lock the SD card, before inserting it into a card reader.

fujixt1photographer

yes the cards work fine in my other camera K1W1_Mk2

Thank you Dennis

So if i re format my card again and then when i put the memory card into the Mac just use the lock on it and this will stop hidden files getting into the card to cause the issue?

Thanks

So if i re format my card again and then when i put the memory card into the Mac just use the lock on it and this will stop hidden files getting into the card to cause the issue?

If you eject the card correctly from the Mac by dragging the desktop icon to the trash before you remove the card from the slot there are no hidden files left over.

If the card(s) work correctly in your other camera and you presumably use them with the same Mac computer then the issue is pointing to a camera problem as far as I can see.

Historically Fujifilm has been struggling with files left on SD cards by OSX.

Historically being the key word. This shouldn't be happening with an X-T1 with at least the last two versions of Mac OS X unless something else is going on.

Historically Fujifilm has been struggling with files left on SD cards by OSX.

Historically being the key word. This shouldn't be happening with an X-T1 with at least the last two versions of Mac OS X unless something else is going on.

And if you follow good SD card usage and format IN CAMERA before your next use there's no problem anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, are you still having this issue? Have you tried new or different SD cards, as these are the only things in common with the 2 cameras. Possible that the first camera corrupted the card or they have been damaged somehow? Anyone else seen this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

it happen to me sent back 2- x-e2 cameras then called fuji they said . when you put the card in the computer and view it or do something else to it .you change something in the card do know what ???? now i just download to desktop and make a copy of it i went crazy the first and sec and time

Put the card into your computers SD slot (or card reader slot)

Copy the files off it

EJECT the card correctly in the OS

Remove the card

Put the card back into the camera

Format the card using the camera format option

Use the card happily without issue

The step many people miss is EJECTING the card from the computer OS. You should not just pull the card out of the slot once you have finished copying the images.

To eject a card on a Mac simply drag the icon for the card on the desktop to the trash can and wait till the light on the SD slot stops blinking (1-2 seconds)

To eject a card on a Windows PC go to the task bar on the bottom right corner and find the icon to eject the card and click on the appropriate button. Once again wait till the OS tells you it is safe to remove the card before you remove it.

Put the card into your computers SD slot (or card reader slot)

Copy the files off it

EJECT the card correctly in the OS

Remove the card

Put the card back into the camera

Format the card using the camera format option

Use the card happily without issue

Id still say THAT is the most important stage.

Of course Im assuming formating the card in the camera removes any bad parts of the card from being used, or am I assuming old disk tech?

Formatting the card in camera is very basic. AFAIK it simply clears the FAT. If the card has not been ejected correctly there is the potential for orphan files particularly DS_Store files on Macs and I'm not sure that the in camera format will clear those.

The best option is just to eject the card correctly AND format rather than only doing one step.

The best option is just to eject the card correctly AND format rather than only doing one step.

Well I won't disagree.

Ive always found SD cards to be not the most reliable of devices and am always amazed when people use them to effectivly store photos for years sometimes. Im probably horribly out of date though.

I just like to format in camera before my next round as a mater of course

madmaxmedia

I've had the read error pop up in multiple Fuji X cameras, without rhyme or reason. I haven't really investigated since it doesn't happen too much (it only happens during image review, but the images are not lost and I can still keep taking pictures), but it does happen after I've formatted the card in-camera.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm adding my recent experience to this thread (I'm glad im not alone).

I have a 64 GB Fuji SD card that came with my X-Pro1. I never noticed issues with it in the past, but then maybe I never filled it up enough to witness this.

Next off, I never let my Mac write to my SD card (i move the switch over on the card so it can only be read and not written to). I also format the card in the camera. TIP : for people with Macs, get yourself Blueharvest (it cleans Mac files from disks).

I got an X-T1, and was using this Fuji 64 GB card (formatted by the X-T1).

So I got to 1370 files (665 images (jpg + raw)), which was about 28 gb of the cards capacity. At this point, the additional images can be viewed initially, but then when scrolling through them, they cannot be read. Copied to my Mac, they are fine. I put the card in my X-Pro1, and it cannot view the newer later images either.

If I delete some earlier images and start shooting again, those newer latest images can be viewed, but the ones the were not able to be viewed still cannot be read by the camera. And of course, once I have shot around the same number of images that were deleted, the issue starts again with the latest images not being able to be read.

It's almost like the X-T1 is 'pseudo corrupting' images once the card hits a certain capacity used (as per the numbers above). I say 'pseudo corrupting' as they can be read by a computer. Then as mentioned above, when deleting some images, and the capacity used of the card has dropped, the camera can read newly taken images until it hits that threshold capacity again. Any images taken after the threshold capacity are "marked" as non-readable by the camera, but fine on a computer.

That's the best way to describe what I have witnessed.

I'm not sure if the X-T1 camera has the issue, or whether it's the card. Of course it seems like it's the card that has the issue as the X-Pro1 cannot read the files either. However, the images are written by the X-T1, so I can't rule out the camera for now.

Like I said, at the start, I never witnessed the issue in the past when using the card on the X-Pro1. Maybe in the past, I never used it above 28 GB a, but I'm pretty sure I did.

I'm now reluctant to buy a large capacity SD card in case I get the issue again.

For now, the card has been formatted again. I'm pretty sure when I get to over 650 images (around 28 GB) again, the same issue will occur. If it does, I'll then try in the X-Pro1.

• 2 months later...

Same problem with my very first Fuji camera, a new XT1.

After about 1500 shots (RAW+JPG), "reading error" from my Transcend 64GB SD card.

Card is well-proven in my 5D3.

Have exchanged the camera. I now hope it will never ever happen again...

If it is caused by the XT1 - would be unacceptable!

64GB SD cards are problematic in many cameras not just Fujis. The Internet has many forum posts relating to issues with this size card. You will find overall that smaller cards are way more reliable. I will doubt that swapping the camera will make much difference in this case.

I had the same read errors while trying to review in camera. Not sure if it's related but my card also has corrupted photos on it - some I can see the thumbnail, but cannot open (generally raw images, but raw and JPEGs were ruined.