Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Battery discharges while camera is off

flyfisher

I have a two week old X-T1. I was pulling the card for downloading and noted the battery indicator at one notch below full. Camera was turned off to remove card. After an hour or so, I went to return the card and format it and noticed the battery indicator at red. What's up with that?

K1W1_Mk2

On a Fuji one notch below full means the battery is about to die within two or three shots.

Charge and discharge the battery at least three or four times before you even think about its life. LiIon batteries require a number of charge/discharge cycles to reach their maximum charge potential. Also buy at least one or two spare batteries so you don't get caught short with a sudden camera shutdown as you have already experienced.

flyfisher

Great to know. Thank you. Have three batteries, two Fuji and one Pro Line. Coming from a Nikon DSLR where two or three days of shooting with out a recharge was normal, the Fiji battery life is a big change. Really enjoy the new Fuji.

dem

One would expect each of 3 bars to represent about 33% of battery capacity, i.e.

3 bars: 66% to 100%

2 bars: 33% to 66%

1 bar: under 33%

Not on Fuji cameras. It is more like

3 bars: 10% to 100%

2 bars: 2% to 10%

1 bar: under 2%

The fact that you caught the battery levels drop from two bars to one when taking the memory card out does not tell us anything about the discharge rate! Assuming a hypothetical threshold of 2%, say it was 2.01%, camera off, camera on in an hour, it is 1.99% now. Or did it drop from 3% to 1%? We don't know...

The important thing is to have a spare battery ready when this happens. Which you have got covered, so nothing to worry about.

Happy shooting!

artuk

Does the X-T1 have the "quick start" (or "high performance"?) mode found on other Fuji cameras? In other models, this means the camera is never really "off" even when turned off, to make start up faster, but obviously at the expense of battery life.

flyfisher

Hmmm. I've been using high performance setting. I'll look into turning that off at the end of a shoot