Sign in to follow this  
gcast85

So, this looks interesting if it's true...

veejaycee

The black one looks nice but more important is - what's under the hood?

MadDog

I am not a fan of EVF instead preferring an optical VF which the X30 does not utilize. That said, the EVF in my XS-1 is fantastically large and useable. Hopefully when the X30 is released someone can make a comparison between the EVF of the two mentioned cameras.

artuk

The x30 apparently has the same evf as the xe2.

That sounds positive. Having seen one at a dealer, I was struck by the size of the camera given it's modest sensor, but some people may like a larger camera for handling reasons.

Garyh

I see that the x30 is made in China! will it matter? Sure looks good to me......

No. A huge amount of electronics is now manufactured in China. Would you ask "does it matter" if you found out 90% of your smartphone was also made in China?? ;-)

artuk

and the X-T10 is made in Thailand.

Thailand has long been a manufacturing centre for a number of Japanese electronics brands. Nikon have been manufacturing there for many years, and praised the quality of the workforce and the finished product. It also has good infrastructure and raw materials and parts can be easily sourced there. Sony and Toshiba also have large operations there. The majority of the worlds hard drives are also manufactured there.

Interestingly I have read some reports that wages and other costs of manufacture in China have been rising, making it look less attractive than before.

I remember when I was a child "made in Taiwan" was a by-word for cheap plastic toys. The government there invested heavily in high tech industry, and now they lead the world in the design and manufacture of things like processors and particularly memory. Many of the flash memory devices used in memory cards and USB drives are now made in Taiwan, where there are a number of large manufactures such as PNY, Integral and Transcend. The other major player int hat market in obviously Samsung, based in South Korea.

K1W1_Mk2

I remember when I was a child "made in Taiwan" was a by-word for cheap plastic toys.

When I was a kid "Made in Japan" appeared on all the cheap junk toys.

My comment about Thailand was in no way meant to be degrogatory but a simple statement of fact. I currently ride a Thai assembled motorcycle that has fantastic build quality. All the Honda and several of the Mazda cars available in this country are manufactured in Thailand. Land Rover manufacture right hand drive vehicles in Thailand. The new Ducati Scrambler motorcycle is manufactured in Thailand for world wide distribution. Ford and Niassan manufacture light trucks for our market in Thailand and as you mentioned Nikons QC has improve dramatically since they moved DX DSLR (and now D750) production to Thailand. I expect that many of the QC issues Fuji have suffered from in the last 4 years or so will also disappear with I'm sure all new models from now on being manufactured in Thialand.

artuk

I remember when I was a child "made in Taiwan" was a by-word for cheap plastic toys.

When I was a kid "Made in Japan" appeared on all the cheap junk toys.

My comment about Thailand was in no way meant to be degrogatory but a simple statement of fact. I currently ride a Thai assembled motorcycle that has fantastic build quality. All the Honda and several of the Mazda cars available in this country are manufactured in Thailand. Land Rover manufacture right hand drive vehicles in Thailand. The new Ducati Scrambler motorcycle is manufactured in Thailand for world wide distribution. Ford and Niassan manufacture light trucks for our market in Thailand and as you mentioned Nikons QC has improve dramatically since they moved DX DSLR (and now D750) production to Thailand. I expect that many of the QC issues Fuji have suffered from in the last 4 years or so will also disappear with I'm sure all new models from now on being manufactured in Thialand.

I didn't take it as criticism - but I wrote what I did as I know some people regard Thailand (and other places) as "bad" as a country of manufacture.

I know a number of Japanese car companies manufacture there, but I thought it was mostly for the domestic market, as it avoids Thailand's punitive import tax on vehicles (I think 100% or more). I didn't know they export, but it makes sense since local demand probably doesn't meet capacity.

Sony manufacture many of their optical products there now, including the A7 series and some of the lenses (including some of the "Zeiss" ones, I think). New Sony cameras and lenses are often available in Thailand very quickly after release for that reason. Sony also manufacture sensors there, as the factory had to be written off after extensive flood damage the other year.

Garyh

I once had that very negative feeling that anything made in China or Taiwan was akin to "Buyer Beware" and prone to break, wear out, fall apart, not work... whatever. That was a lont time ago now and all those prejudices have long since wilted. My old Canon G9 was labelled "Made in Phillipines". Latter day G* series Canons appear to be made in Japan, while a lot of Nikons are made in China. But still photographers persist in niggling about where the cameras are made and assume they're no good from the get-go. Bullocks.

Larry

"Made in", means "final assembly in". Parts may come from anywhere in the world. What does count is the brand-name on the product, and the brand's reputation for quality control and for service locally.