Sign in to follow this  
secondintime

Move to the X30 or not?

secondintime

Tempted to upgrade to the X30, flippy screen, new control ring, EVF, etc etc. With this in mind thought I'd take the X20 out with me today as I had to walk up to the Doctors. Really pleased the shot below. I adore the jpegs that the fuji x series cameras produce but in this case this is the result of an edited RAF file. It just goes to show how versatile these little cameras are.

I am assuming that the image quality will be the same in the X30 against the X20 so just need to decide if the extras are worth the upgrade??????

For me I think, yes, they are. I adore my X20, as I adored my X10, but I like the idea of some new features to use. I won't miss the OVF of the X20, happy to use EVF, especially like the fact that the EVF shows how changes to settings are reflected in the viewfinder rather than waiting to review the shot.

End of Another Day.jpg

K1W1_Mk2

Much as I love my X10 whenever I use it if I were going to replace it these days I would have to seriously look at the Panasonic LX100 as well as the X30.

Size wise they are so close it doesn't really matter. The X30 obviously has the flippy screen but the Panasonic has a physically much larger sensor plus wifi and NFC and 4k video. The X10/20 have never been high iso wonderkids so the m4/3 sensor high iso performance probably means no advantage one way or the other. They are both 4/3 sensor ratio so there is no advantage there for anybody wanting 3/2 shots. The Panasonic has a slightly faster aperture wide and is marginally wider and they are the same at the long end but the Fuji has a little more reach.

Things that would tip me towards the Panasonic would be the slightly wider lens I tend to shoot wide not long and have struggled a little with the X10 wide (not wide enough) and the possibly more useful hot shoe mounted flash but really would come down to looking at real world photos once the cameras get into the wild and then of course price. The Panasonic has a higher list price but you can be sure it will drop in price quicker on the street than the Fuji will.

Davelovesfujix20

Pany has bigger sensor, and 4K, I love my X20, but I think I will enjoy the handling of the Pany handling more, even with the clicky ring of the x30. I do like the flippy screen. and it is about 300 bucks cheaper. Same lens and processor, nothing wrong with that, you'd think they would up grade it.

boulevardier

If possible, never sell a camera before buying its replacement.

timo

All depends how good the LX100 viewfinder is. If it's significantly worse than that of the X30, I will go with the X30. I find that if I don't enjoy using a camera, I don't use it. The viewfinder on the X30 seems excellent, based on a try in a shop, even when I'm wearing glasses.

secondintime

Not sure why we would compare the LX100, it's an extra £300. May as well compare the LX100 to the new 100T.

gryphon1911

Not sure why we would compare the LX100, it's an extra £300. May as well compare the LX100 to the new 100T.

You can't compare on price alone. You have physical size, target audience, fixed lens zoom configuration all to think about. There is more similar about them then different. There could be some things that $300 buys someone on the Panny that they can't get on the X30, or the extra $300 could be seen as doesn't on something that someone doesn't need.

It's all relative to the individual end user really.

For example, I would probably pick an X30 over the LX100 because, I absolutely hate power zooms. That one thing alone, for me takes the Panasonic out of any serious consideration for me. Even the Oly Stylus 1 is the same. It has a manual zoom ring, but that is just how it controls the power zoom.

anthonymerto

All depends how good the LX100 viewfinder is. If it's significantly worse than that of the X30, I will go with the X30. I find that if I don't enjoy using a camera, I don't use it. The viewfinder on the X30 seems excellent, based on a try in a shop, even when I'm wearing glasses.

after watching the 'camera store tv' youtube review of the lx100, i still want it and like it a lot without even touching it. but the reviewer chris stated that the evf was pretty poor compared by today's standards

i think he said the resolution is pretty low, and the refresh rate of the evf lags noticably.

i might be wrong, but i know he mentioned something about it, and it made me sad a little, cause the panasonic lx100 seems like my perfect camera (almost, wish it could reach longer)

jeremyclarke

Good conversation. Re X30 I definitely love having an EVF in the X-E1 and wouldn't go back, so I can totally see that as a reason to upgrade. Also the X20 will not plummet in resale price, especially since OVF fans will want to own it forever as the last compact zoom from Fuji with an OVF. I'd also put a lot of weight on the many UI improvements added to the X30, it's truly the next generation of camera

Definitely finding it hard to justify an X30 over an LX100 though. That long, fast lens combined with the MFT sensor will mean that if you have enough space you can actually eke out some bokeh in portraits. I chose against MFT because I wanted shallow DoF and the only way was to get super-expensive lenses, but the LX100 has the equivalent of a lens that costs more than the entire LX100 does. It's especially tempting because, as a compact, the system is irrelevant, so I'm much less inclined to "stay in the family" when I'm not actually buying any lenses.

-100 for motorized zoom though, I'm with Gryphon on that one. Just feels wrong and IMHO takes you away from the process. I hated the power zoom on the E-M5 I tried (in addition to it being ugly and aperture-slow compared to the Fuji 18-55).

In the end the truly manual zoom is emblematic of why I would still be tempted to the X30: Fuji has made it a peer with the X system cameras in every way except the sensor, and it has all the wonderful old-fashioned/direct-control design elements I love on my X-E1 (even more than the X-M1/X-A1 in a lot of ways).

Panasonic is going to sell a lot of LX100 though, and Fuji will have a hard time finding an audience for the X30 outside of their existing fans.

gryphon1911

after watching the 'camera store tv' youtube review of the lx100, i still want it and like it a lot without even touching it. but the reviewer chris stated that the evf was pretty poor compared by today's standards

i think he said the resolution is pretty low, and the refresh rate of the evf lags noticably.

i might be wrong, but i know he mentioned something about it, and it made me sad a little, cause the panasonic lx100 seems like my perfect camera (almost, wish it could reach longer)

I wouldn't say that the LX100 viewfinder is "bad", just not like the uber hi definition most current generation ones. With that being said, it is difficult to take someone else's opinion on something like that. A viewfinder is something that you have to determine "good/bad" for yourself.

In all accounts on paper, the X-T1 viewfinder should blow away the ones in the Oly EM1/EM5....but for me I preferred the viewfinder in the Oly over the Fuji.

anthonymerto

-100 for motorized zoom though, I'm with Gryphon on that one. Just feels wrong and IMHO takes you away from the process. I hated the power zoom on the E-M5 I tried (in addition to it being ugly and aperture-slow compared to the Fuji 18-55).

In the end the truly manual zoom is emblematic of why I would still be tempted to the X30: Fuji has made it a peer with the X system cameras in every way except the sensor, and it has all the wonderful old-fashioned/direct-control design elements I love on my X-E1 (even more than the X-M1/X-A1 in a lot of ways).

i hate electronic zoon also. wish the lx100 was manual.

they made practically everything else manual, why couldn't the zoom be too...

secondintime

It's all up in the air now. Camera kitty is looking healthy and I may be able to upgrade my X100 to the X100T, and keep the X20. Decisions decisions. May start a new thread.

K1W1_Mk2

I was initially thinking that the X100T wasn't a worthwhile step up from the X100s but the more I see about the T the more I'm thinking that it is actually quite a different camera. As a S owner I won't be rushing out to get a T on day one but maybe in 6-12 months if they are as much of an improvement as they appear to be I might think about it. For owners of original X100 cameras I think the T is going to be a major step up.