Sign in to follow this  
morpheme

Wicked Cool - Georgetown Steam Plant

morpheme

Right now it's not working, but it's been under restoration for a while and there are some people who really would like to see it operate again - It's a National Historic Landmark and apparently one of the only places where the old turn of the century turbines still exist in their original setting. As far as I know until a year or two ago it was operable and did sometimes run staffed by volunteers and students studying power generation at a local college, but I guess there was a bit of a problem one day… we met a professor there today who seems to be quite gung-ho about getting it back into working condition, so we'll see. Even not operating it's an awesome place. Cooler than the hydro plant - older and more ornate, I'd say. Here's a sample:

DSCF4401

DSCF4402

DSCF4428

DSCF4421

DSCF4406

morpheme

Thanks - I always post process. Back in my film days I enjoyed printing, nowadays I'm quite happy in Photoshop.

Furd

The last time th4e main turbine generators ran was in November of 1973. Four of the sixteen boilers were fired in the early 1980s for the purpose of heating the residual fuel oil in the storage tanks to allow it to be pumped out as part of the decommissioning of the plant. Nothing ran until approximately 1998 when the volunteers of the Georgetown PowerPlant Museum, inc. installed an operating air compressor that allowed a limited operation of the horizontal air pumps and a few other oil pumps. Several years later an electric boiler was installed that finally put some heat in the building and also allowed the operation of the previously mentioned pumps on steam.

In 2012 Seattle City Light refused to renew the lease with the GPM and locked the doors. There was no maintenance done by SCL and no heat in the plant to this very day. SCL refuses to acknowledge the work done by the GPM over their seventeen year existence and never contributed one thin dime to the GPM for use in the plant.

While the main turbine generators will never again operate the rest of the machinery IS either operational or could be brought back into operation at a fairly low cost. It is my opinion that SCL does NOT want any of the machinery operational.