Sign in to follow this  
veejaycee

60mm f2.4 - is it me ....

veejaycee

..... or does anyone else find that the standard magnified viewfinder is best for manual focus with this lens? We read lots of grumbles about the 60mm f2.4 having hesitant AF in low light and although I feel the point is somewhat over-stressed there's no doubt AF is its weakest point. I can use focus peaking in manual focus and actually watch the highlighted "zone of focus" area creep across the scene as I change focus (also with the 35mm f1.4). However this zone of focus is of a visible depth, that is to say it may be 4, 5/6ins deep depending on distance so not perfect for exact focus. I've recently switched from using focus peaking to standard magnified view and I must say, besides the uninterrupted, more pleasant viewfinder image, I find it an eminently usable, very quick and going by results - very exact method of manual focus. Similarly using the 35mm f1.4 (don't have the 23mm).

I also find that standard magnified view works better for me with the 55-200 for exact manual focus although I find the AF on that lens to be fastest and most accurate of all my XF lenses so I generally place my trust in the AF.

Maybe a member who has the 56mm f1.2 could say whether they find similar results (although wide open zone of focus with FP would be very narrow with that lens and presumably therefore, more exact).

Cardiobikeracer

Same experience here, with the 60mm f2.4. For Macro and low light levels, I prefer to manually focus using the magnified viewfinder if I'm shooting with the aperture wide open, and need focus to be exact.

As we've all likely experienced, the 60mm AF, even with the latest firmware updates, can be an exercise in focus frustration in dim light or close focus situations. I don't have any intention of giving it up though. Its optical quality is outstanding, when I do nail the focus.

veejaycee

Too sharp sometimes. I recently put some Nikon cameras and lenses on eBay and photographed them for the auction (after a thorough cleaning), with XP1 and 60mm. However many times I cleaned the gear and blew it over with a rocket blower, in the pictures it looked like they were covered in stars. In the end I had to de-spot them in PP.

Cardiobikeracer

Yeah...I photographed a dark green photo bag with the 60mm, and I could see every cat hair (my cat has white hair) on the surface of the bag, even after using a lint brush to try and remove it :(

vague_logic

I find myself swapping between focus peaking and plain magnified. What would be useful to me would be an option to have peaking on the standard view for quick manual focus (where the subject distance and aperture give sufficient depth of focus) and no peaking when selecting the magnified view.