Sign in to follow this  
Cardiobikeracer

To Hood or Not to Hood?

Despite owning the hood, and I agree from purely a shallow/aesthetic perspective it looks rather nifty .. but it means taking it on and off every time I use the case for my x100 so more hassle than its worth

I don't use cases for my X-Pro1's but I do use small to medium size camera bags. One thing I had to do, was to accommodate the big hoods (like the one on the 10-24mm).

The Billingham Hadley Pro messenger style bag has a couple of dividers which velcro into any position within its padded insert. So that's pretty easy.

On the other hand, the Billingham 335 camera bag required me getting inserts from them, as an additional cost accessory, in order to get an insert wide enough for that 10-24mm hood. So it's possible to make allowances for the extra bulk, but it does take extra steps and cost, sometimes.

The other possibility is veejaycee's method: get an aftermarket hood that is smaller in diameter so it fits into smaller cases/inserts, but still provides shade and some physical protection.

I may have created the impression of being anti-hood regardless;if so, not so.

When I received my 27, I considered buying some old 39mm filtera and using the

stacked frames, but I had already invested in hoods for it and they are now in

that magic place from which nothing emerges.

The mere fact that Fuji did not include a hood nor even offer to sell the user a wildly

overpriced one should have been all I needed to know.

The mere fact that Fuji did not include a hood nor even offer to sell the user a wildly

overpriced one should have been all I needed to know.

I wonder if that's why Zeiss doesn't include their metal hoods when you buy one of their ZM (for Leica M rangefinder) mount: that they're confident that those lenses have such excellent multi-coating that they're highly flare resistant, even without a hood.

Also, their hoods are all metal, well-built, and very expensive (almost $100). So it would raise the price of the initial purchase of the lens, if that's a concern.

With all of that said, because I use the Zeiss ZM Biogon 28mm in very dense, city crowds, I bought the hood for physical protection of the front element. The hood has certainly prevented direct contact on the front element a couple times already, since I got it last summer, saving me from costly to fix scratches.

We all know that hoods are good for physical protection as well as optical shading, but its role as a physical guard has been well highlighted in this thread.

The concept of hoods as bumpers is undeniably valid;as a non-pro I am less likely to hit things;calculated risk.

I routinely use hoods on lenses whose compactness would not be threatened by their use to no

discernible optical benefit.