Christopher

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Hyperfocal Distance Chart & Guide

Christopher

For all the street and landscape photographers out there, here's a handy guide to the hyperfocal distances for the FinePix X100:

Aperture Meters Feet

f/2 13.2 m 43.5 ft

f/2.8 9.37 m 30.8 ft

f/4 6.64 m 21.8 ft

f/5.6 4.7 m 15.4 ft

f/8 3.33 m 10.9 ft

f/11 2.36 m 7.75 ft

f/16 1.68 m 5.5 ft

Luminous Landscape offers a nice article, Understanding Depth Of Field, which includes a simple explanation of the use of hyperfocal distances.

This is the point at which you would focus the camera so that everything from that point out to Infinity is in focus. You should note that at the other end, the closest point that is in focus is at half the hyperfocal distance.

Pentoh's blog discusses calculating the hyperfocal distance for the X100, and includes a nice tip to calculate the X100's hyperfocal on the go:

...to find the hyperfocal length for any aperture, just divide 26.45m (or 86.7 ft) by the aperture number! Piece of cake!

On a bright sunny day try practicing with f/16, set your focal distance in manual mode to 5.5 ft (1.68 m) using the scale on your X100, and shoot away. Everything from about 2.2 ft to infinity will be in focus!

AC5

Also visit Paul Van Ralwee's site to learn more about the subject. VWDOF is a versatile DOF calculator available there.

Jeffrey

This is my first post (joined today) and my personal circle of confusion is huge at the moment. :) Why doesn't the scale on the X100 reflect the dof of the posted hyperfocal numbers?

Welcome to the community @Jeffrey!

I've heard that the DOF scale on the X100 is tuned for a 35mm lens, but it's technically a 23mm lens, hence the discrepancy. I have to admit that increases my personal circle of confusion too!

Jeffrey

Heh! At least i'm not the only one in the circle of confusion. I taped this abbreviated reminder on top of the camera next to the hot shoe and so far it's been spot on. : )

Hyperfocal f/8 11 ft

f/2 44 ft f/11 8 ft

f/4 22 ft f/16 6 ft

Mark F

Hi all.

I'm new to zone focusing but I think I get the principles with good light. I like to shoot street and would really like to try some dusk/night or only available light images. Say I went wide open @ f2 on my x100t, is my range limited from 22ft onwards, which wouldn't be great, or are there ways of being that open but to have a reasonable range of say 6ft-12ft. 

Investigation naively on my part says that my DoF would be approx 1ft or maybe slightly less, give or take a few inches but this would make it impossible to get a reasonable shot in some sort of focus.

Have I missed something in the forums that would help me or do I have to stick to f4 and crank the iso? I only ask as historically, music photographers must have used manual lens in fairly dark environs so there must be a way of doing this which I have missed or just aren't getting just yet.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Mark

• Like 1