Sign in to follow this  
devskies

the food gallery [x100T/XT1]

devskies

Thought I'd start a thread of all my food photos. (yes it's probably an Asian thing)

01. Mac & Cheese

15326372427_24e17a4412_c.jpg

MarcoDebiasi

@devskies, delicious new thread. ;)

For my taste (pun intended) I find that some of the pictures above have too narrow depth of field and are somewhat overexposed. Also, the caption of photo No. 7 needs to be corrected to "All'Arrabbiata with pork" or even better "Spaghetti all'Arrabbiata with pork".

veejaycee

All good but I have to say the lower the taking angle, the more I like them - that is the later images are better than the first few with my faves - the last and 3rd last also having a background for context.

artuk

I like some, others not so much.

I'm not sure if you have post processed the pictures with some filters? The colours don't look very natural in some of the photos, and to me it doesn't make the food look very appetizing. It could be a white balance issue alternatively. (e.g. 9 and 11 have a pink/magenta tone, whereas 6, 7 and 12 look very beige).

I think one or two suffer from being taken with a very wide angle lens too (e.g. 3 and 4) - though it depends if you are just snapping your food for social media, or if the intent is something more like food photography.

Strangely, unlike Marco above, I thought a few looked a little under-exposed based on the whites of china and backgrounds looking rather grey!

devskies

@devskies, delicious new thread.

;)

For my taste (pun intended) I find that some of the pictures above have too narrow depth of field and are somewhat overexposed. Also, the caption of photo No. 7 needs to be corrected to "All'Arrabbiata with pork" or even better "Spaghetti all'Arrabbiata with pork".

All good but I have to say the lower the taking angle, the more I like them - that is the later images are better than the first few with my faves - the last and 3rd last also having a background for context.

I like some, others not so much.

I'm not sure if you have post processed the pictures with some filters? The colours don't look very natural in some of the photos, and to me it doesn't make the food look very appetizing. It could be a white balance issue alternatively. (e.g. 9 and 11 have a pink/magenta tone, whereas 6, 7 and 12 look very beige).

I think one or two suffer from being taken with a very wide angle lens too (e.g. 3 and 4) - though it depends if you are just snapping your food for social media, or if the intent is something more like food photography.

Strangely, unlike Marco above, I thought a few looked a little under-exposed based on the whites of china and backgrounds looking rather grey!

Thank you for the feedback guys! much appreciated will def take note of them.

@MarcoDebiasi thanks! yeah it's def a problem when I'm not shooting landscape I tend to shoot wide open.

@artuk yes! these were straight from cam to iphone to vsco. I actually just post these on instagram, but thought I'd share them here lol. I'll be sure to try and correct the tint the next time.

artuk

The tint is your choice, depending on what you want to achieve. In the smoked salmon picture it doesn't look very appetising, but its your choice if you want a stylised snap or something that tries to be realistic. Personally I don't like Instagram filters etc. But that's just my taste - I think its over done and therefore boring.

MarcoDebiasi

@devskies, this is good, but next time I would try using a PL filter to minimize the reflections from the box plastic window.

mlampcov

Nice pics...i'd like to point out the ironic lack of Asian food after your reference to it being "an asian thing", and 2nd how did you endure the Durian!!!! I spent a week in Singapore in 2006 and I can still smell the durian!

redsim74

Sweet potato fries... with salted caramel dip? That, I'll have to try.

Also, yes please to the Durian cheesecake!

arnold_w

What were you trying to show, atmospheres or fresh looking food images?

If the latter was your goal, I'm afraid I have to say you didn't succeed. White balance is not correct for food images, it doesn't attract my attention, it looks kind of sordid with those picture effects and muddy colors, it doesn't make me wanna taste at all. The depth of field is also too shallow, where is has to look crisp and fresh.

On the other hand, if you're after some atmospheric images, the colors/effects look fine to me, but maybe you should have emphasized the food in a lesser way than, as part of the surroundings.

devskies

Nice pics...i'd like to point out the ironic lack of Asian food after your reference to it being "an asian thing", and 2nd how did you endure the Durian!!!! I spent a week in Singapore in 2006 and I can still smell the durian!

lol. It's an acquired taste. I know a small % of westerners that enjoy it, but generally the bulk of them absolutely hate the smell/taste!

Sweet potato fries... with salted caramel dip? That, I'll have to try.

Also, yes please to the Durian cheesecake!

Tasted great :)

What were you trying to show, atmospheres or fresh looking food images?

If the latter was your goal, I'm afraid I have to say you didn't succeed. White balance is not correct for food images, it doesn't attract my attention, it looks kind of sordid with those picture effects and muddy colors, it doesn't make me wanna taste at all. The depth of field is also too shallow, where is has to look crisp and fresh.

On the other hand, if you're after some atmospheric images, the colors/effects look fine to me, but maybe you should have emphasized the food in a lesser way than, as part of the surroundings.

Thank you def cutting back on the shallow depth of field and will watch for the WB!