ChrisPoole

Flash for the X-series

ChrisPoole

I have an XT-1 and an XPro-1 and have been experimenting with flashguns. My first discovery was that inexpensive Yongnuo RF-603N11 triggers will fire a Nikon SB900 from the XT-1. Those triggers will also work as remote triggers for the XT-1.

I then bought a little Fuji EF-X20 which sits very nicely on the XPro-1 and works well even though the range is a bit limited. However, I do find that its recycling time is pitifully slow even with fresh batteries. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem or has suggestions for improving it?

A few days ago I found, at last, a Fuji-fit Nissin i40. It has been a long time in the making but it is an absolute delight. Small, light and sits very neatly on the XT-1, giving TTL exposures. Powerful enough for some street photography. Operates remotely using the little flash unit supplied with the XT-1 although I think you lose the TTL doing this.

Any thoughts or observations on flash for the X-series would be very welcome.

Chris Poole

UK

JohnCaz

If TTL is important to you, the Nissin i40 is probably the best flash currently available for both its TTL support and compact size. If you don't mind manual flash, then the best thing currently available is the Godox V850

Cheers

John Caz

artuk

If TTL is important to you, the Nissin i40 is probably the best flash currently available for both its TTL support and compact size. If you don't mind manual flash, then the best thing currently available is the Godox V850

Cheers

John Caz

I've heard things about the Cactus remote trigger and flash guns - Damien Lovegrove uses them with Fuji and appears to like them (they are not TTL, but work with almost any camera).

K1W1_Mk2

Interesting that there are two first time once only posters raving about a new product that has only just hit the market in the same thread. If I was a suspicious person I would be thinking viral marketing.

JohnCaz

LOL, I would agree but in this case i think it has more to do with a long overdue product otherwise lacking in Fuji's lineup (The current fuji flash is way overpriced, large and otherwise lacking)

K1W1_Mk2

I agree the i40 has been eagerly awaited for nearly 12 months by X users and is probably a way better product than Fuji have ever offered. It's just funny that here and on other Fuji sites there seems to be a noticeable number of Fuji users who have never previously participated in forums who have seemingly spontaneously decided to join and extol the virtues of a product that has only become available almost in the last few days.

RogerKing

I have been using a quatum t-2 with a fuji t-1 for weddings since March and every thing works great.

ChrisPoole

I've been a convert to the X-series for almost a year but only found this forum a few days ago (I'm not much of a one for on-line things). It felt appropriate to me to comment on my very recent experiences with something that has been noticeably absent from the X-series (flash). It is only really the Nikon CLS that has persuaded me to keep some Nikon kit (based around a D700 and some good lenses) for the time being.

I find nothing unusual about writing down my experiences as a first step in joining in with the spirit of this forum. I'm sorry if in doing so I have caused anyone to doubt my intentions.

exakta

Wow, I thought the Fuji flashes were too expensive when I needed one for my X10 two years ago. That Nissin is $240!!! Let's hope it's spectacular...

jkis

I agree with John Caz

If you don't mind manual flash, then the best thing currently available is the Godox V850

Cheers

John Caz

The Godox V850 is the way to go. Cheap, strong, great quality, no more AA's, the lithium battery included last forever.

ChrisPoole

I bought my i40 for £138 from Fotosense here in the UK. I paid £168 for the little EF X20. The former feels about the right sort of price for me; the latter was a lot for what it is.

Chris

camprl1

Interestingly the link you posted says the Godix Ving 850 swivels 360 degrees (as does the Godox website).

Rob

ramso

This is straight off the website

Movable vertical angle: -7° to 90°;

Movable horizontal angle: 0 to 360°;

JohnCaz

My wrong then, but generally the Godox is a manual flash which requires a different approach compared to the TTL Nisin.

ramso

The 850 deal with flash triggers is hard to beat, they look brilliant . . . Cant decide if I would be better off with the Nissin i40 when it finally becomes available . . .

Having full TTL would be great . . . decisions decisions . .

ChrisPoole

The i40 is now available in the UK - see posts above.

Chris

dmward

The one weakness in the Fuji X system is TTL flash. While there are some available they tend to be lower power.

I used ETTL Canon speedlites extensively with my Canon kit. With Fuji I have been using the Godox v850s and CL-360s. The remote power control is nice.

Manual or TTL power management is, in my view, simply two approaches. One's not superior.

Using manual power management now for weddings with the Fuji and Godox is as natural as ETTL was with Canon.

jeremyclarke

As someone who's never even tried TTL with a flashgun I'm very curious about the Nissin now that it's FINALLY out. Definitely the only contender on the market that's a meaningful upgrade to my YN 560III (Integrated remote trigger but no TTL at all).

Deeply curious for anyone's thoughts on actually using it and any issues/awesomeness they come across.

That video light seems awesome for so many things. Can it be used constantly while shooting to improve focus while still firing the actual flash for exposure?

How does the wireless work?

ramso

The mecablitz looks interesting . . but I still like the look of the Nissin and its features . . . price is the only problem . . still have not seen any on ebay or available in Aust . . . not prepared to pay the freight costs from UK or US . . . hopefully HK will supply some units soonish with free freight delivery . . .

Strangelove

The mecablitz looks interesting . . but I still like the look of the Nissin and its features . . . price is the only problem . .

The Mecablitz SRP is 99€.

Linus

Just a note of caution on the Nissin i40 - the official camera compatibility list (24th Nov 2014 update) on the Nissin website includes the following Fujifilm models only:

X-100

X-30

X-20

X-10

X-S1

HS50EXR

HS30EXR

HS20EXR

There's no mention of X-Pro1, X-T1, X-E1, X-E2 that I can see; and it's unclear whether the X-100 listing includes the X100S and X100T. Some online retailers are claiming compatibility beyond the official Nissin list.

I have an X100S and I'm taking a bit of a punt with the order I just placed (hope TTL works fully). I also have the X-Pro1 so naturally want full TTL compatibility on that too.

Can anyone comment about real world tested experience with Fuji X camera models not specifically mentioned on the Nissin official list?

I understand a firmware update service is available from Nissin, but at a yet-to-be-disclosed cost.