ChrisPoole

Flash for the X-series

ChrisPoole

I'm using an i40 with an XT-1 (see posts above). Working beautifully. Haven't tried it on my X-Pro1 yet but will do so tomorrow and report results.

Chris

ChrisPoole

My curiosity aroused I've just tried the i40 with an X-Pro1 and it's fine. I can't help with other Fuji models I'm afraid.

Chris

jeremyclarke

Good news either way. If the X-PRO1 (so old!) works then surely the X-E's work too.

So weird that their site has that list on it. Seems like it's accidentally only listing compact/non-ILC cameras, maybe they take the true "X System" cameras for granted, and are only listing the smaller cameras which may or may not be considered part of the system since they don't use the lenses?

Their whole communications strategy comes off as really amateurish. Luckily the actual products seem much higher quality than their site (like so many companies, Fuji certainly included).

Also I just noticed that the main i40 site claims there's no wireless support at all for Fuji:

http://www.nissindigital.com/i40.html

Wireless TTL

i40 synchronizes to the wireless remote flash system. (*3) (*4)

(*3): Support Group A - C (any channel 1 - 4)

(*4): Except for Fujifilm version

Was that the thing they were waiting for Fuji to release a firmware update for it to work?

Linus

I received my Nissin i40 (for Fuji) today and I’m pleased to say TTL works well on both the X100s and X-Pro1. On the X100s, it’s actually quite a job to force the combination into a poor TTL exposure – it just nails it in so many settings. On the X-Pro1, it’s easier to trip up, but once you take proper account of the FP shutter/low sync speed, it settles into very similar results to the X100s, albeit with the expected limitations. Flash exposure comp works well with consistent results in both +/- directions.

It seems the flexibility of the X100s’ leaf shutter/high sync speed give the combination a way to handle almost any real world situation; from memory, this is also (mostly) true of the much larger Fuji EF-42 but with the i40 it’s much easier to change EV with the rear dial and it doesn’t feel like you’ve put a household appliance on your petite camera. The i40 fits well on both X100s/ X-Pro1 and looks decent.

If you sometimes travel with a full size bounce-head flash put straightened-out into a deep camera bag, you’ll find that despite being a good bit smaller overall, the i40 takes up a similar amount of space as it’s not like a straight bar when extended – it unfolds with a slight dog-leg (if you know what I mean). But when the i40 is packed away in its own pouch, it’s a nice small cube-like bundle with all its accompanying accessories. The diffuser does a very good job of softening the light from what is still quite a small light source (compared to the EF-42).

All in all, I’m very happy with the i40 (so far) and don’t see my EF-X20 getting much use (no bounce and only make-shift diffusion solutions). I’ll probably keep the EF-42 (+omni-bounce) for now as the results are good and consistent – even if it is a bit awkward to use in comparison.

The i40 is very nicely made. Hopefully, someone will finally release some nice small TTL wireless triggers for Fuji.

glnsilva

If TTL is important to you, the Nissin i40 is probably the best flash currently available for both its TTL support and compact size. If you don't mind manual flash, then the best thing currently available is the Godox V850

Cheers

John Caz

If TTL is important to you, the Nissin i40 is probably the best flash currently available for both its TTL support and compact size. If you don't mind manual flash, then the best thing currently available is the Godox V850

Cheers

John Caz

Hi,

I've switched from Canon to X-Pro1..

And i still have my 430EX. I've tried to use it on my Xpro Body and it works but on Manual only.

My only concern is.. Will it cause any problem if i continue to use a canon flash on my xpro body?.

mfk

Recycling time of EF-X20 is much shorter by using good Ni-MH cells as e.g. Sanyo "eneloop" instead of LR03 baateries.

Vikdaddy

Hi guys, any recommendations for using wireless triggers with the Nissin i40? I had a pair of yongnuos but they wouldn't work. I hear the godox triggers are quite good. any tips?

ChrisPoole

I use a pair of Yongnuo RF-603NII which work perfectly with the i40 on an X-T1. You lose the TTL function of course and have to put the camera on an appropriate flash setting. The triggers also work very well as remotes releases for the X-T1 without the flash and I've found they have a really good range of several metres.

chhris

can someone tell me about the ef-x20? because i found it so nice and solid flash. but i really dont know about the perfomance. thx

ChrisPoole

I found the EF-X20, which fits beautifully on an X-Pro1, is very slow to recycle on that body but much quicker on the XT-1. Power is a bit limited but for its size it's not at all bad and so easy to slip into a camera bag.

fotoman56

I'm very happily using 3 Yongnuo 460ii units with either off camera cords or Yongnuo 603II triggers. All I can say about them is they works as the should and for about $50 each you can't go wrong.

hrk

I'm still holding out for HSS support in the newest firmware!

macabee

I recently bought my Meike MK320 here in the UK from eBay item located in the UK, only took two days! initial thoughts, well constructed, TTL performs well feels similar to the fuji ef-20, but more powerful, another plus point it has a metal shoe. At about 150g can stay in my camera bag. I waited a long time for the Nissin i40, eventually cancelled my order and bought the Fuji EF-42, which is fine for TTL plus a bit more power.

But I have to say that the Meike MK 320 is for the money [£49/€67/$75] excellent value and takes up very little space either in the camera bag or even in your pocket

FJPearson

I use an old Canon for fill. Also a non-TTL Bower and a Vivitar off camera on a cord and shoot in manual, figure the guide# and bounce most of it, Works good with a Pro 1, not so good with EVF only cameras.

Edited by FJPearson

veejaycee

I sold my Nikon SB800 and bought a couple of old manual Sunpacks for about £5 each (one connected and one with an old flash sensor slave) and use guide number calculations which have served me well for years. I daresay there's an App for it!!!

I have to admit, I never really liked all the complications of so-called auto flash and TTl. Digital allows us to shoot a few tests, chimp and adjust as necessary.

Tbl14

I am thinking of investing in a flash for my X-e2 but will need to save up if I choose the Nissin! Maybe a stupid question, but I have a mecabiltz af-5 that i used with my Nikon d300s (before switching to Fuji). In the meantime, can I use this flash on the X-e2 even "Manually" or would it damage the equipment? 

veejaycee

I am thinking of investing in a flash for my X-e2 but will need to save up if I choose the Nissin! Maybe a stupid question, but I have a mecabiltz af-5 that i used with my Nikon d300s (before switching to Fuji). In the meantime, can I use this flash on the X-e2 even "Manually" or would it damage the equipment? 

The Mecablitz AF-5 was made to use with Nikons as you know and as Ii is well known that Nikon SB flashes can be used with Fuji MILCs I'm quite sure the mecablitz will be fine on your X-E1.

Edit, I was called away.- If you have a hotshoe ext cord that will probably work too and if you need one then ebay/amazon has cheap versions of the Nikon cord which works fine. This unit does not appear to have a non-TTL sensor, if that is so you will need to calculate exposure using the guide number whether on or off camera. If you're not an oldie like me you'll find explanations online by searching for "using flash with guide numbers" or similar. It's easy enough.

Vic

Edited by veejaycee

Tbl14

Yes, works fine. One has to manage the exposure manually , but that not a big problem if you have the time. Good enough until I save enough for a new one !