ChrisPoole

Flash for the X-series

uaru

Currently, the best is Nissin i40.

Fuji-EF42 would not be bad, if it did not require the super fresh batteries...

But soon we'll have Fujifilm X500, and that will change the game.

Jesse

Has anyone used a pentax-compatible flashgun? I'm shooting with an x-pro1, would like to try a Sigma TTL flash for Pentax that I have from my old DSLR set-up but don't want to damage the electronics in the x-pro.

veejaycee
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Has anyone used a pentax-compatible flashgun? I'm shooting with an x-pro1, would like to try a Sigma TTL flash for Pentax that I have from my old DSLR set-up but don't want to damage the electronics in the x-pro.

I think you're safe enough. I'll put this here in case others want to bookmark it. http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

You will have not TTL of course but you will have auto based on the flash's own sensor. There are a couple more websites with useful info Re flash voltages if you do a search.

macabee

The Nissin i60 is now available on pre-order from some UK outlets, for between £239 & £289

troy andreas

hi. i am Troy, nubie from Indonesia.

I'm using Xa2 with 16-50mm lens. Do you guys have a recommended external flash for me? cheaper one?

ChrisPoole

At the risk of being accused of promoting a particular product (see the messages at the start of this thread) I thought it might interest others to describe my experience of the RoboShoot flash triggers by Serene Automation in the US. I first noticed these when Vic (veejaycee) mentioned them in these forums some months ago.

They are a bit pricey. Especially so for those of us not in the US and having VAT to pay on import. But Serene were offering a discount to help cover the import taxes for us. I've found them really good. They do provide TTL with Fuji X series cameras - I've only tried mine on an XT1 but am confident they would be fine on my X100T and XPro1 too. More importantly to me they are compatible with my Nikon SB900 speedlight as well as the Nissin i40 retaining TTL functions with both. I've not tested them exhaustively but they were working well in an old churchyard from a range of at least ten metres or so and would probably be fine even further away.

Chris

veejaycee
6 hours ago, troy andreas said:

hi. i am Troy, nubie from Indonesia.

I'm using Xa2 with 16-50mm lens. Do you guys have a recommended external flash for me? cheaper one?

Hi Troy and welcome.

Assuming you are on a tight budget - The cheapest Fuji flash is the EF20 - not tremendously powerful but certainly enough for most circumstances it will also tilt for bounce flash to soften shadows. The next option for Fuji TTL flash (exposure measured Through The Lens) is the EF X20 which is considerably better quality and can be used in manual and adjusted to output of 1/2 down to 1/32 via a dial more easily than the EF20. It can be used off camera as a slave and also for off camera TTL with a Canon cable (ask again about this). However it is double the price of the EF-20 and does not tilt for bounce.

If both are out of your price range may I suggest you look instead at old flash units which have automation but not TTL auto. These flash units have a built-in sensor to measure the output and can also be used in manual mode. You will see little difference (if any) between pictures taken with them and those from a TTL flash. You can buy these cheaply on the used market - look out for Sunpak who made (and still do) compact units suitable for your camera and more importantly I have not found any which come outside the voltage limit for Fuji cameras.

I rarely use flash but when I do, I use several and I have been using up to 5 cheap old flash units fired by separate optical slave units for years making use of the guide numbers which is provided with all flash units.

I recently bought a Fuji EF-42 for a particular shoot (family) where I required exact fill flash via a brolly outdoors. As it happened I didn't use it but it is a nice unit. Cheap-ish plastic build so it's not a pro unit nor is it one I'd run about chasing butterflies or macro in the field with it hanging from my camera but it does work well and is powerful enough for me so will do for when I only want one flash  with bounce and TTL. - For multi flash studio and macro in the field I go back to my very cheap old units and guide numbers.

The Fujifilm website will tell you what is available in their range but here is a brief review of the 2 mentioned above. On a budget I recommend either EF-20 or a compact used Sunpak (or similar). http://photomadd.com/fujifilm-ef-20-v-ef-x20-flash/

veejaycee

Metz has Hss in the pipeline  for Fuji units. Nissin i40 and i60 units work well when you add the "Air" unit for radio remote off camera use and they are already HSS enabled if you buy a new one. Some pre-existing Nissin units need to be sent back for FW update to HSS.

Lastly of course is the new Fuji EF-X500, HSS enabled but I believe they have optical remote.

LazarouINC

Nissin web site says there is still no HSS for Fuji with the i40 or i60 speed lights.

*Currently the Fujifilm system does not support High speed synchronize function.The High speed sync button on the i60A Fujifilm version has disabled due to limitation and restriction on Fujifilm’s cameras. But High Speed Sync. function can be enable by Commander Air 1 Canon, Nikon, Sony & Micro Four Thirds versions during cross-system use.

artuk
On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:45 PM, uaru said:

Currently, the best is Nissin i40.

Fuji-EF42 would not be bad, if it did not require the super fresh batteries...

But soon we'll have Fujifilm X500, and that will change the game.

I believe the EF42 flashgun I made for Fuji by Nissin.

I have a pair of Nissin Di700s for another system and they are infuriating as you can use them.to take 50 or 100 shots, put them.away, and the next day they will refuse to power up with a low battery warning.

Is this the problem.you have with the EF42 also?

veejaycee

I have the Fuji EF 42 and it works very well either direct or bounced from hot shoe or via my Pixel FC-311/S 1.8 m TTL cord for Canon or controlled by the tiny X8 flash (supplied with XT1/XT2,). However, the EF 42 is not of the best build quality. If you use flash regularly and are continually mounting and dismounting flash, this may not be the best buy for you due to some having a weak hot shoe fitting. The very same flash may be purchased more cheaply by searching for Sunpak PZ42X TTL Flash.

I've not shot with my EF flash much. I bought it when I thought I might need a fairly powerful flash for fill in on a School Proms shoot but in the end a reflector supplied enough shadow relief - and the sun never needs a second to recycle.

Below is part of a copied response from another forum that may be of interest when the makers have the HSS sorted out - old thread so maybe they already have.

" RoboSHOOT is a somewhat unique product. It allows any Fuji X camera with a flash system hot shoe to combine different brands of speed lights in an orchestrated constellation of lights. You can do things manually or you can use TTL. When the HSS situation settles down. RoboSHOOT is committed to supporting HSS. I have an MX-20 on my X-T2 and my SB-900 (Nikon), EF-42 (Fuji), and i60q (Nissin) connected together using the RX-20 receivers. It uses radio control to coordinate the different flashes. The transceiver (MX-20) attaches to the hot shoe of my Fuji X-T2. I then have the option of installing a speed light on the MX-20's hot shoe or setup a receiver and install a speed light there. I have four receivers and one transceiver so I can setup a constellation of lights."

Although I take an interest in these developments I cannot understand why so many Fuji users (and no doubt others) on various fora can no longer live without HSS flash.

artuk
6 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Although I take an interest in these developments I cannot understand why so many Fuji users (and no doubt others) on various fora can no longer live without HSS flash.

In 17 years of photography with SLRs and ILCs I can honestly say I could count the number of times I have used HSS flash on one hand.

The HUGE problem with HSS flash is that the power drops off a cliff as you increase the shutter speed, so trying to shoot against full day sun with an GN42 flash gun simply isn't going to work at 1/4000s unless you only want a tiny bit of flash.

Ranjan

I have been hearing good things about the Yongnuo 560-IV and the compatible TX commander module which allows radio-triggered flash setup for Fuji cameras. Anyone gave it a try here?

windtogo

I'm an experienced old X10 user and tomorrow I'm picking up a new X-T1 with a 18-135 lens,  complete with new software. 

I'm not very skilled with using a flash. 

Please. Suggestions for what I should buy? 

windtogo

I've chosen a Fuji EF-42 and ordered it from  my local shop; Camer Kingston, where I purchased the camera and lens.  

veejaycee
14 hours ago, windtogo said:

I've chosen a Fuji EF-42 and ordered it from  my local shop; Camer Kingston, where I purchased the camera and lens.  

It's a very capable TTL flash which does a good job - not the most rugged. If you want off-camera flash this 3rd party cable for Canon works with full TTL. There are also non-coiled versions for use on stands. I got via Amazon for under £20.

Pixel FC-311/S 1.8 m TTL Cord for Canon