Sign in to follow this  
rwwong

"Close Ups" Macro Mode is back focusing by .25"-.5"

rwwong

Checking to see if others are experiencing the same issue?

Here are my settings:

Macro Mode

Aperture Priority F4-F8

EVF

MF - AFL/AEL button for focusing, then full shutter release to shoot

or

Macro Mode

Aperture Priority F4-F8

EVF

AF-S - (using the smallest focus frame possible) then have press to focus and full press to shoot

When I use these settings and shot extreme close ups at the minimum distance the lens will allow, the camera always backfocuses about .25"-.5". If I focus as described above and physical pull the camera back about .25"-.5" before I trip the shutter I can get my desired results and the part of the image I want sharp is tact sharp (or I can focus as described above and adjust the focus ring ever so slightly). Am I doing something wrong, or is this how the camera works?

Christopher

Which camera are you referencing? The X100 I presume? I've heard others mention this before.

rwwong

Yes, x100. I did a search and nothing came up. If you can point me to some specific discussions I would be forever greatful:)

Christopher

There was some discussion of it here, but no real solution found. Perhaps it's a matter of using the manual focus mode with the AFL/AEL button to auto-focus, then fine tuning with the focus ring?

rwwong

Thanks christopher, what have your results been? Do you think this is a hardware/software issue?

Christopher

I imagine it can be fixed by Fujifilm in a firmware update, it seems to be a consistent issue with the camera, but it's possible only certain cameras exhibit the problem. I haven't shot a lot of close macro photos with my X100, but most of my attempts have also shown the back focusing.

rwwong

Anyone else experience this issue? If anyone has time on their hands I would appreciate it if you could do a quick test and see if your results are the same.

Thanks guys!

rwwong

Update: I made a trip to my local camera shop to test out their X100 demo, and came up with the same results. We took a close macro of a bar code at an angle and it back focused just like mine, about .25".

Makes me wonder how many are affected, or if this is standard with all X100x why more users haven't brought up the issue.

If anyone else cares to chime in, and test their own X100 - take a picture of some type or font at a low angle, take note where you place the focus frame, and post your results. Maybe we can get fuji to correct this issue with another firmware update. The shop I was at is going to contact their fuji rep and see what can be done.

boringuser

I posted the thread Christoper referenced. I recently verified that even with the latest firmware and the newest lens assembly (mine was replaced due to the sticky aperture problem) the problem still happens. From everything I have gathered this is a universal problem. I'd also assume a firmware update could fix it, but if that's the case I have to wonder why it hasn't been fixed yet. Seems like a pretty fundamental issue.

rwwong

Thanks, I'm hoping we can gather enough information and document however many cases their are similar to ours. That way fuji will be aware that it is a widespread issue and hopefully fix it!