Sign in to follow this  
SteveInLG

PNY SD Elite Performance 16GB cards...

SteveInLG

I purchased one of these and found it to write slowly. Certainly faster than my no-name card I found in my pocket, but slow nonetheless. I tested using two pieces of software and found the write speed to be about 3MB/sec. I'm wondering if perhaps I tested incorrectly given PNY rates the WRITE speed for the card at 90MB/sec. Does anyone have experience with this card?

SteveInLG

I used an SD Card reader plugged into a USB 2.0 port. Your question prompts a further question which is what is the throughput capability of the memory buffer/bus of the X100? Maybe there is a practical limit to the write speed of the SD card above which there is no appreciable performance gain...? I suppose I should test the card again using my Yogo 2 Pro's USB 3.0 port.

andyfromboston

If the card reader itself is not a high speed usb 2 or 3 device, or if it just isn't a very fast card reader, it can be limiting the transfer speed to the memory card, regardless of what type of USB port it's plugged into. There is a ton of variation between card readers. Some quick Googling will reveal what the good ones are. I don't know anything about the particular card you're using, but fast SD cards really can be quite fast when matched up with a fast adapter. The speeds they put on the cards are usually quite optimistic, but there are cards that do benchmark at 40-80 MB/s write and upwards of 90 MB/s read when using the fastest card readers.

The X100 itself has a card interface that's not as fast as a lot of newer models, based on time to clear the buffer after shooting a burst. It's around 10 MB/s when I use it with my usual Sandisk cards (the 45 MB/s advertised speed type).

artuk

The X100 itself has a card interface that's not as fast as a lot of newer models, based on time to clear the buffer after shooting a burst. It's around 10 MB/s when I use it with my usual Sandisk cards (the 45 MB/s advertised speed type).

Bear in mind that quoted speeds are often for reading, whilst writing is often slower. I think this is also true of Sandisk cards, from test results I have seen - so it may read at 45mb/s but write at 25mb/s for example.

SteveInLG

I returned the card and found (shelf, not pocket) a SanDisk Extreme rated at 45MB. Testing under the same conditions, it has a write speed of a bit over 9MB. I figure the error in testing is equally applied to both cards so will stick to the SanDisk for now.

Great info about the write buffer speed. I figured it wasn't all that fast. Maybe I'm just slow, but I shoot pretty deliberately so any remaining delays in writing don't have much of an impact.

SnapPuppy

You could also have a fake PNY card, there are a lot of fake SD cards. I believe even Amazon got caught out and sold fakes as genuine..