Sign in to follow this  
DavidPDX

Any advice for moving from a DSLR to X100t

DavidPDX

I'm considering selling my DSLR; (Pentax K3) and moving into a X100t. I primary use primes 32mm equivalent and 60mm equivalent hardly ever break out my 18-135 zoom, so I'm thinking I would be fine with the fixed lens, probably adding the WCL & TCL over time. I mostly shoot in the city; cityscapes, long exposure, some landscape, and am attempting to become more proficient at street photography. Any thoughts or experiences anybody has had making such a move would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

David in PDX

Owtafocus

Except for the obvious differences in menu feature locations and the lack of a thru the lens viewfinder, if you you are an accomplished photographer you should be able to make the image you want of the scene you're looking at with nearly any camera in your hands. I shoot 5 different formats, and once I'm in the zone, the image-making process is about the same.

gryphon1911

In all honesty, you should be fine. The X100T is a fine piece of machinery.

Koban

Personally I would not switch to the X100t. Don't get me wrong I love this camera and use it quit a lot. I personally would chose for an E2 or X T1. For my self I find it use full to be able to switch lenses. The converters are good ut for my self not on par with the lenses.

But the X100T is a great camera for on the streets and so on. Really love this camera.

farrell

My advice is don't, unless you have no plans to keep shooting action.

By all means, buy the X100T and keep your DSLR.

artuk

My advice is don't, unless you have no plans to keep shooting action.

By all means, buy the X100T and keep your DSLR.

+1

Apart from action, some owners don't think the X Trans sensor gives great results for "landscape" either. If you search for "sound image plus" blog, there was a recent article showing how landscape details are rendered compared to the Bayer sensor in the X-A1 (sorry I can't post a link, blogs are barred on my current internet connection, but you can easily find it. The article was posted 2 or 3 days ago).

artuk

@artuk:Sounds like an interesting article;thanks.

It was an interesting comparison between how the same sensor with X Trans and bayer Colour Filter Array renders. The owner of the blog has previously commented on the problems of X Trans files, and received a certain amount of "abuse" from some of the Fuji faithful. However, he remains convinced that with jpegs or Adobe the files are problematic and the evidence is there for anyone with eyes to see. To this end, he presents a number of photos - some direct comparison shots, other similar shots with the 2 cameras - which makes interesting viewing. Sorry I can't post a link - I will update this post later with one, hopefully.

http://www.soundimageplus.com/soundimageplus/2015/1/17/fuji-x-x-trans-or-bayer-cmos-sensor-part-1-whats-this-all-about

BillyBlueLight

I would thoroughly recommend the move and I did exactly that myself when I changed from my Nikon DSLR and bag full of extras.

I first bought the X100S and my only fear was that I would I would really miss a zoom - I didn't for a single moment and immediately adapted to zooming with my feet. It makes you think more about the shot.

I absolutely loved my Fuji, recently changed to the X100T and enjoy that even more.

I use mine for professional landscape work, framed prints and images for various books I write - it works well and I have no regrets at all. I don't do any sports or action work, but for portraiture, landscape, street and pretty well everything else it's perfect for me - a really lovely camera and one I wouldn't want to part with.

sloflyfishguy

My approach has been slightly different, coming from the Nikon DSLR world:

1. The Fuji X100S is an almost ideal travel camera, and it's with me currently on my present trip. Shot all day with it yesterday and never felt the lack of another camera, including especially for street shooting.

2. I also shoot NCAA Div. 1 sports, and I simply have not found any system other than DSLRs to be able to do all that that type of photography demands.

3. Finally, for portraiture and interiors, an interchangeable lens camera still is my default choice, whether it's my XE-1 with the 10-24 or the 14mm, or the 56/1.2 - or my similar Nikon gear.

Short answer, at least for me: No one tool does all jobs perfectly, but if I could have only one camera for the next 12 months, it would be an X100S or X100T. Go for it!

devskies

moved from this

6049562192_b3d2cf4bb4_z.jpg

to an XT1 and X100T.

No regrets. love how the XT1 and 3 lenses feels lighter than my 5D2 and 1740 lol

DavidPDX

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm going to have to get an X series camera just so I can hang out here... I'm thinking I will likely end up with the X100t in addition to my beloved K3, if I find the DSLR dosent ever leave the house then on to EBay it goes. Thanks again!

David.

gryphon1911

Never an easy decision, so best of luck finding a good fit for your needs.