Sign in to follow this  
knowledgeseeker

Notes on using the X20

knowledgeseeker

Below is a collection of notes that I've collected; perhaps others may find it useful.

Please feel fret to suggest corrections, omissions, suggestions for revised defaults, etc.

-----------------

MY DEFAULTS

- PASM standard ..... A Mode, Provia, Face Detect Off, Auto ISO 100-1600-1/60, sharp +1, NR -1, DR Auto

- C1: Outdoor people. A Mode, PRO-NegHi, Face Detect On, Auto ISO 100-800-1/60, sharp +1, NR -1, DR 200%

- C2: Landscapes..... A Mode, Velvia, Face Detect Off, Auto ISO 100-800-1/30, sharp +2, NR -2, DR Auto

- f/2 - f/4 to avoid diffraction [if shutter limit of A reached, use M (e.g, to blur background in bright light]

- Flash: Slow Synchro to capture background in low light; otherwise Forced

- IS: SHOOTING+MOTION (active when shutter is pressed 1/2 or fully; motion bumps shutter speed; needs Auto-ISO)

- Fn button: ISO (as needed, choose among Face Recognition, ISO, RAW)

------------------------------------------

TIPS

- In playback mode to check sharpness, press the command dial to enlarge the image as much as possible.

- Outdoor (sunlight) screen mode: hold the Q button to enable.

- Silent Mode: hold the DISP/BACK button until "sound/lights off" icon appears. Hold again to disable.

- Control Lock: to lock the Q and selector buttons (AF/Macro/Selftimer/Flash), press OK until lock image appears.

This prevents accidental operation (can use menus). Unlock by pressing OK until lock image disappears.

- To set auto-focus point [requires AF MODE = AREA, focus mode = AF-S, intelligent face detection off]:

Press ^ then use selector or sub-command dial; recenter by pressing DISP/BACK, or press OK to use the setting.

Set size of focus frame using main command dial; reset by pressing dial, or press OK to use the setting.

- Set action of Fn button by pressing it for about a second

- In playback, protect images using Playback Menu > PROTECT

- In playback, cycle thru additional EXIF information by rotating main-command dial.

The active focus point is shown by a “+” icon.

- Access to flash exposure compensation is on shooting (not Q) menu, and is limited to +/- 2/3 stop

- If you turn the command wheel a lot, must turn it a lot back for it to make changes again;

quicker to raise & lower flash to reset.

- Pressing shutter halfway down:

- Shooting mode: locks focus and exposure

- Playback mode: switches camera directly into shooting mode

- Shooting menu: sets menu item (no need to press OK)

- Sleep mode: wakes the camera

- The lens hood reduces flare when shooting angled toward the sun; the lens-protect filter does not add flare

MODE DIAL

P ...... Program: "program shift" via either dial [off: flash, Auto ISO, Auto DR]. Raise flash to reset default.

S, A ... Shutter and Aperture Priority

M ...... Manual: Main-command dial sets shutter or aperture, as marked by < >; press dial to toggle.

Sub-command dial sets the other one [except when using manual focus (MF)].

SR+ .... Scene Recognition Auto: camera displays one or two icons to inform user [heavy battery use]

Auto ... Standard Auto mode: recommended in most situations

Adv. ... Advanced modes (see below): Motion Pano, Pro Focus, Pro Low-Light, Multiple Exposure, Advanced Filter

SP ..... Scene Position: user selects among Shooting Menu's "Scene Position" options:

PORTRAIT / PORTRAIT ENHANCER (smooth skin effect)

PARTY (capture indoor background lighting under low-light conditions)

LANDSCAPE / SPORT / NIGHT / NIGHT TRIPOD / FIREWORKS / SUNSET / SNOW / BEACH / UNDERWATER / FLOWER / TXT

SPECIAL FEATURES

Face detection: press MENU/OK for shooting menu, select ON for FACE DETECTION. [heavy battery use]

Red-Eye Removal: software red-eye fix [Face Detection on; RED EYE REMOVAL on (setup menu)]

Best Frame Capture: set via multi-frame button at left. A burst (up to 8 shots), starting before and ending after the shutter button is pressed. To set the frame rate and number of shots:

1 Press the selector right when the camera is in shooting mode.

2 Highlight current frame rate; press selector right, then up or down to choose new value; press OK.

3 Highlight number of shots, press selector right, then left or right to choose shot distribution; Press OK.

4 Press DISP/BACK to return to shooting mode

5 Take photos. Recording starts when the shutter is pressed halfway, and completes when it is pressed fully.

Continuous Shooting (Burst / Bracketing): set via multi-frame button at left.

Focus and exposure are determined by the first frame in the series. Options are:

- STILL IMAGE

- TOP: burst while shutter is pressed; press selector right or left to select 12, 9, 6, or 3 fps (JPEG);

max number of frames is respectively 11, 14, 20, and 39; 12 fps not available with Raw

- BEST FRAME CAPTURE: see above

- AE BKT

- ISO BKT

- FILM SIMULATION BKT

- DYNAMIC RANGE BKT - three shots at DR settings of 100% / 200% / 400% [iSO must be between 400 and 3200].

Macro and Super Macro Modes

Raw Conversion: JPEG copies of RAW images can be created using the RAW CONVERSION option in the playback menu

Auto ISO

Defaults: Base ISO 100 (range 100-3200), max ISO 800 (range 400-3200), min shutter speed 1/30 (range 1/4-1/125)

ISO rises above the default value if needed to use at least min shutter speed;

shutter speeds slower than min shutter speed are used if underexposure would occur at max ISO.

Default ISO is clamped to not exceed the selected max ISO

Digital Zoom: set via shooting menu. Magnifies 2× [ends when camera is turned off; may end if another mode set]

Dual IS modes:

- CONTINUOUS + MOTION / CONTINUOUS: stabilization on full-time.

- SHOOTING + MOTION / SHOOTING ONLY: stabilization only when the shutter button is pressed halfway or fully.

- OFF: Image stabilization off; choose when using a tripod.

(With + MOTION, the camera adjusts shutter speed to reduce motion blur when moving objects are detected.

This has no effect when ISO is set to a fixed value; unavailable for some combinations of settings.)

Advanced Anti-Blur: set via shooting menu. In SR+ mode, when the "shaking camera" icon is displayed, the camera takes a series of exposures and combines them to form a single image, reducing “noise” and blur. Must be enabled in the shooting menu. Some time may be required. Flash must be off or set to auto.

"ADVANCED" MODES

Motion Panorama:

1 Rotate the zoom ring until the zoom indicator turns white (P 23).

2 Press selector down to select the pan angle. Press selector left or right to highlight an angle; press OK.

3 Press selector right; see list of pan directions. Press selector left or right to choose direction; press OK.

4 Press shutter button all the way down to start recording; no need to keep it pressed during recording.

5 Pan in the direction shown by the arrow. Shooting ends automatically when the progress bar is full.

Pro Focus:

The camera takes up to three shots each time the shutter is pressed, softening the background.

The amount of softening can be adjusted before shooting by rotating the main/sub-command dial.

Use for portraits or photos of flowers similar to those produced by SLR cameras.

Pro Low-Light:

Each time the shutter is pressed, the camera makes four exposures and combines them into a single photograph.

Use to reduce noise and blur when photographing poorly lit subjects or static subjects at high zoom ratios.

Multiple Exposure:

Create a photograph that combines two exposures.

1 Take the first shot.

2 Press OK. The first shot will be shown superimposed on LCD as a guide to taking the second shot.

[To return to Step 1 and retake the first shot, press the selector left.]

[To save the first shot and exit without creating a multiple exposure, press DISP/BACK.]

3 Take the second shot.

4 Press OK to finish, or press the selector left to return to Step 3 and retake the second shot.

Advanced Filter:

Toy Camera (vignette), Miniature, Pop Color, High Key, Low Key, Dynamic Tone, Partial Color

FILM SIMULATION MODES (Shooting Menu) - also for Film Simulation Bkt

(PROVIA / STANDARD) ... Standard color. Suited to a wide range of subjects, from portraits to landscapes.

(Velvia/VIVID) ........ A high-contrast palette of saturated colors, suited to nature photographs.

(ASTIA/SOFT) ........... A soft-toned palette of less saturated colors.

(PRO Neg. Hi) ......... Slightly more contrast than (PRO Neg. Std). Good for outdoor portraits.

(PRO Neg Std) .......... Soft-toned palette. Enhanced range of hues for skin tones. Good for studio portraits.

(MONOCHROME) ........... Black and white.

(MONOCHROME + Ye FILTER) Black-and-white with slightly increased contras; slightly tones down brightness of sky.

(MONOCHROME + R FILTER) Black-and-white with increased contrast. Also tones down the brightness of the sky.

(MONOCHROME + G FILTER) Soften skin tones in black-and-white portraits.

(SEPIA) ................ Sepia.

POWER SAVING

Per Fuji FAQ, http://faq.fujifilm.com/digitalcamera/faq_detail.html?id=110201338&pnum=1803 :

Approx. 270 frames normally; can get approx. 700 frames with settings:

SET-UP menu > POWER MANAGEMENT > POWER MANAGEMENT > POWER SAVE

SHOOTING MENU > OVF/LCD SETTING > OVF

SHOOTING MENU > FACE DETECTION > OFF

Mode dial > P, S, A, M, AUTO, or SP

Focus mode selector > AF-S (single AF)

Also should use:

SET-UP menu > DUAL IS MODE > SHOOTING+MOTION (not "CONTINUOUS")

SET-UP menu > POWER MANAGEMENT > QUICK START MODE > OFF

SET-UP menu > POWER MANAGEMENT > AUTO POWER OFF > 2 MIN

SET-UP menu > SCREEN SET-UP > IMAGE DISP. > 0.5 SEC or OFF

SET-UP menu > SCREEN SET-UP > LCD BRIGHTNESS > -2

Note: "POWER SAVE" leads to slower focusing (& dimmer display until control used)

Indicator Lamp Camera Status

-------------- -------------

Glows green Focus locked.

Blinks green Blur, focus, or exposure warning. Picture can be taken.

Blinks green and orange Recording pictures. Additional pictures can be taken.

Glows orange Recording pictures. No additional pictures can be taken at this time.

Blinks orange (Fast) Flash charging; flash will not fire when picture is taken.

Blinks orange (Slow) The zoom ring is positioned between ON and OFF. Picture cannot be taken.

Blinks red Lens or memory error (card full or not formatted, format error, or other memory error).

--------------------------------------

Gripes

------

** Wide-angle limited to 28 mm

** Viewfinder covers just 85%; should ideally cover 120% and have bright line

** P mode (etc.) chooses small apertures > f/4 rather than short exposures, causing diffraction blur

* Not weather sealed

* Max shutter speed is limited in A mode; at f/2, blows out image in good light (see below).

* Flash exposure compensation is limited to 2/3 stop, and not on Q menu

No ability to embed copyright in EXIF data

Long exposure is limited (see below)

AE bracket is limited to one stop, and may be clamped by min shutter speed

Noise reduction smudges fine details; can set to -2 but not off

No Wi-fi or GPS

Shutter speed for auto ISO maxes at 1/125

60 Hz frame rate for 1080 video wastes storage

Raw not available above ISO 3200

Non-tilting 460k dot LCD screen

Short battery life, and once the battery runs low, very little warning.

The tripod mount is off-center

Max shutter speed:

- In Aperture Priority mode, at f2.0, the maximum shutter speed is 1/1000 sec. The shutter blades can’t move over a wide-open aperture at its maximum speed of 1/4000 sec. This limit gradually gets faster as you stop down i.e. 1/1200 at f2.5 and so on, and 1/4000 is available only from f8. Program mode also uses just mechanical shutter.

- In Manual and Shutter Priority modes, the camera switches to its electronic shutter and this allows it to shoot at f2.0 and 1/4000 sec. Use M mode to blur background in bright light.

http://pixelogist.me/2013/04/03/fujifilm-x20-review/

Long exposure:

30 sec exposure in manual mode is only possible at 100 ISO. At 200 ISO this is halved to 15 secs, 250 ISO to 8 secs. As soon as you are in the high ISO ranges (eg. 1000), max shutter speed is 2 secs or less. It is impossible to take, e.g.. photos which would require 12 secs exposure at 1600 ISO.

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/6561/long-exposure-for-night-shot-and-or-light-trails/p1

-------------------------------------------

SPECS

Foc. len. (equiv) 28-112

Foc. len. (actual) 7.1-28.4

Lens speed f/2.0-2.8

35mm equiv.spd. f/7.9-11

Sensor area 58.1

Sensor w x h 8.8x6.6

Sensor class 2/3"

Diag crop factor 3.9

Width crop factor 4.1

MPixels 12

Filter size 40 (or 52)

Size (mm) 117x70x57-76

Size (in) 4.6x2.75x2.25-3.0

Weight w/bat (oz) 12.45

Screen: 2.8" 4x3 aspect ratio implies 2.24 x 1.68"

visible area measures 2.25 x 1.7", while flat area measures 2.5 x 1.875"

veejaycee

Wow - never had to worry about all this on my OM1. Damn good thing that digital automation has made things so much less complicated. :)

desertdog

Thank you for all the time and effort you spent to develop and share this guide for and with the X20 community. It is absolutely superb

GTG

Thanx!!! Most of your comments are relative to my x30. Sure wish you had posted them a month ago. But, I've enjoyed learning my new Fuji

ggm

gripe: no intervalometer. I mean, its like a 10 line BASIC program, CHDK has it for canons, its 2015. can we have a timelapse without buying a screw-in shutter release gizmo?

UncaMikey

I have a X30 rather than a X20, but this is very helpful, thanks.

I usually shoot P Mode and use program shift if necessary (i.e., the f/stop is too small leading to diffraction problems), but I notice that program shift is disabled if DR is set to Auto. Any idea why?

dem

I cannot see any diffraction blur at either f5.6 or f6.4 on my X-S1. It is hardly noticeable at f8.0. Surely limiting aperture to <=f4.0 is an overkill for a 2/3" sensor.

knowledgeseeker

Sorry -- but f/4 is about the limit if one really wants to avoid diffraction blurring. Given the 2/3" sensor size and 12 megapixel count (tiny pixels), this online calculator:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

… shows the diffraction-limited aperture to be f/4.3

See the commentary below that calculator; it notes, "the onset of diffraction is gradual" --- and indeed if necessary I'll violate the f/4 rule.

K1W1_Mk2

I tend to use my X10 on f4 most of the time. DOF and subject isolation is not a strong point of small sensors so I find f4 gives plenty of in focus room with decent shutter speed.

Leitman

im usin OVF/sensor/LCD switch on Fn button which improves battery life a little bit and also LCD isnt so much disturbing on dimm light conditions when its off. EDIT K1W1 u could use f3.2 on wide settings for infinite DOF but still with great sharpnes. Im combining it with MF set to 35mm hyperfocal an M mode for Documents ... incredible combo !

billr

I got a used x20 from lens authority and it came with a Spanish manual. So your post has helped me immensely. Thanks very much!

TBlair64

Made an account on this forum just to say thank you for this post! Just got a x20 for a steal and looking forward to using it for my main street shooter. Compact and silent. Looks like I'll be zone focusing on manual and use the ev dial on top. The tips really helped too. Hoping to get a day of shooting out of one battery with all the battery saving options on. Thanks so much for typing this up.