Sign in to follow this  
SimonHo

Can things be seen clearly through the fujifilm x30's EVF under bright sunlight ?

SimonHo

I have been using an X10 for almost 3 years and am thinking to swap it for a x30. Just wonder how's the performance of the EVF ?Can things be seen clearly through the fujifilm x30's EVF under bright sunlight?

UncaMikey

Yes. I was shooting with an Olympus XZ-2 but got a X30 about a week ago, and one of the main reasons was the EVF.

I've been out in very bright sunlight and can say that the EVF is a joy to use! I had forgotten how nice it is to shoot with a viewfinder rather than the rear LCD.

K1W1_Mk2

If the EVF on the X30 is anything like the EVFon the X100s then my answer is no it will become useless in bright light, obviously people's definition of bright light will be different. I am talking mid day in cloudless Australian summer skies bright light.

flysurfer

The X30 and X100T feature auto brightness, so they are ahead of less proficient cameras like the X-T1 in this regard.

UncaMikey

Let me be more specific, based on an entire week (!!) of shooting the X30, mostly outside on bright cloudless days -- I had no trouble whatsoever seeing the image in the EVF or the displays of shooting info, including the framing grid and the level. I don't think I'll ever go back to shooting with the rear LCD, or even an optical viewfinder, it's that good.

Simonaus

i find it adequate in bright light.

Definately useable if you have / want to.

I only use it if I'm moving and shooting and reviewing later..

I find I still use the LCD anyways because reviewing through it is a pain, due to the play button position. and if i have to look at the LCD.....

When I can assign so many other buttons to various other buttons, the play button is probably in the worst ergomic position imaginable.

It makes one handed operation nearly impossible.

If it was moved I could shoot, review, and walk all at the same time via the EVF if I chose to.

SimonHo

Thank you so much guys for your replies. I am happy with the X10 so far but just really need a viewfinder because when occasionally shooting under a midday sun, I can't see anything at all on the LCD screen. Sounds like this X30's EVF could solve this problem.

Garyh

I don't see any problem using it in the blinding light of the Australian outback. An adjustment is available through the X30 menu system to make the LCD easier to view in very bright light, but the viewfinder is a hybrid/electronic type and self-adjusts to prevailing light that is to say, it will always be very easy to view (personally I love it!!). It's one of the many very clever and highly valued features of the X30.

SimonHo

Hi Garyh, you are right. I brought this X30 in late March, its EVF is just fantastic, I love it.

jeremyclarke

Does the X-T1 have the auto-brightness feature in the latest (4.0 coming out soon) firmware? What about the one before?

It's such an insanely valuable feature! It's good that you can pump up/down the brightness on the X-E1, but I so often end up taking shots later that are over/under exposed as a result, that now I'm afraid to even use it. Having it be automatic is such a no-brainer, especially if you're in any kind of "auto" mode where you're setting exp.comp. based on the EVF readout.