Sign in to follow this  
Deemus

18mm opinions if the price is right

Deemus

hey everyone, I've read mixed reviews of the 18mm. I have the 14 and the 35 and love them. But I'm thinking about the 18mm. Mainly for size reasons. A friend is willing to sell it for a very cheap price. Is it worth getting if I own the x100s? honestly sometimes I feel as though my XP1 is the better camera.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

K1W1_Mk2

The 18 is near enough the same as a X100 fitted with a WCL so it's not the same as the X100 by itself which is effectively a 23mm or thereabouts lens.

If you are looking for something just a little wider than the X100 offers then it should be a good option. If you want the same as the X100 it is not a good option.

Franky2step

If it's small size and cheap you should look at the 27mm, it is both and the sharpest Fuji lens I have...and I have 5

veejaycee

I don't understand why, when a question is asked about a particular lens someone suggests getting a completly different lens of way different focal length and aperture!

The 18mm f2 will fill a gap as a fine general purpose lens for your interchangeble lens system without breaking the bank and makes the XP1 a fine compact alternative to your X100S if you don't want to carry the extra camera. IQ-wise it is not better than the X100S lens but probably as good and a little wider so still filling a gap when you take both systems.

Deemus

Yes I must admit I have no interest in the 27mm. It's the lack of aperture control and the fact that it's focal length is very close to the x100s. With the 18mm ~$200 I find that very desirable. And the filter size is the same as the 35. And that it's very compact. Although not as compact as the 27.

farrell

The mere fact that the 27 has no aperture ring does not mean it has no aperture control.

Deemus

True but it's the act that it's so close to the x100s that makes it less desirable

KevMo64

I've had the 18 since I bought my XP1 a couple of years ago. I can't say that I'm a serious pixel peeper, but I have been extremely happy with the lens. I think in most circles its under rated. I've been very happy with the image quality and I think the size is great. I do mostly landscapes so at times I've thought the 14 would be better, but I've never felt like the extra money was worth it.

farrell

True but it's the act that it's so close to the x100s that makes it less desirable

Quite so;FL "clumping" is not the best way to equip, but to me the 27 is nearer "normal" for an APS-C sensor. 18mm, which I seldom use anyway, is covered by my 18-55. The key to my delight with the 27 is its

spectacular overall sharpness.

ChrisPoole

I used the 18mm on both an X-Pro1 and an X-T1 and, in contrast to the views of others, was disappointed with it. The edge sharpness is important to me and this lens wasn't up to the standards I want. I was so disappointed that I sent it back to Fuji for testing. They said it was performing to its specification (or some such words). I eventually traded it in as a small contribution to a 10-24mm.

franco

I think the 18mm is great.

I've never related to the bad reviews at all, so far removed are they from my own experience.

Its also the 'snappiest' of all my Fuji glass (in AF terms), and is even pretty quick on my X-Pro.

I say go for it. Its a well made, fast prime lens - you'll have a great time.

artuk

It depends what you want to photograph with it.

For architecture and landscape work, it may not be the best choice. It distorts and needs software correction, which results is some slight loss of fidelity around the edges of the image. Unfortunately, the extreme outer field and corners also don't really ever "come in" regardless of how much you stop down, it is always slightly soft (a shame since the centre is very good).

For other types of work - street, social, low light etc - this won't be an issue.

The focusing is the fastest of the first 3 primes (18mm, 35mm, 60mm) which also makes it an ok choice for some uses.

darngooddesign

For $200 its a no brainer because if you don't like it, you can sell it used for more than that.