findlekind

I liked my X10, I love my X30

findlekind

I found it necessary to replace my X10 due to horrendous amounts of dust on its' sensor.

To me a camera just isn't a camera without a viewfinder; it's a must! So having heard good things about the EVF in the X30, I ordered one. I was thrilled to find it met and exceeded my expectations.

Shooting in Manual Mode is so very much easier with the EVF. I find I'm doing it more and more when getting off a fast shot is unnecessary.

Manual Focus remains were last set when turning the camera on. F stop and Shutter also. Makes it easy for street photography; set the camera up, shut it off, and no worries when turning it back on; everything's right where I left it.

I was a little concerned that the Custom settings were no longer on the Mode Dial until I found the Customizable C Menus available through the Q Button. Wow! Seven custom set-ups at the press of the Q Button. The top eight light grey options remain where saved; the bottom four dark grey options are constant to where last set.

It's true the X30 is a wee bit larger and heavier, but it fits nicely in the same pockets.

I find I also benefit from the articulating LCD screen on occasion. I can pretend I've got a Rolleiflex, shooting from the hip with complete feedback.

What a truly delightful camera is the Fuji X30.

SimonHo

Agree with you. I've replaced my X10 (which was used for 3 years)with X30 last month, and that EVF is so good, I just love it. Except that I still miss the vintage classic look of X10 with no model number etched on the front.

findlekind

Let's not forget that the x30 Manual Focus ring around the zoom actually works well, unlike the Sub-command dial on the x10 which was somewhat than useless.

Personally I like the new look. Besides, its' the kind of thing you don't notice when your eye is at the viewfinder :-)

Why did you replace your x10?

SimonHo

Right, that additional ring is very useful too. And it's the fantastic EVF there that drove me to have a swap, without it, can't compose a photo properly under bright sun if just relying on a LCD screen.

Garyh

The two rings (on/off, zoom position and the larger multi-use ring) I haven't had the opportunity to use the ["multi-use"] ring but given previous experiences with digi cameras, I would use it for manual focus when doing star photography. Today I've been playing around with the miniature diorama mode in Filters which gave me a lot of amusement over lunch.

Pepstn

One question - can the NP-95 battery be charged in the x10 charger (which was provided with the x10 and is a dual size battery holder). I just ordered the x30 with a Transcend 64GB UHS-3 card to upgrade from the x10. All comments after exhaustive on-line research indicate Fuji made a great upgrade with (1) Classic Chrome, Pro NegH and Pro NegStd; (2) the 2.3mm EVF, (3)the Q button; (4) the flip screen at 960k dots. I'm not worried about the 2/3" sensor criticism - Have always loved the x10 image quality.

findlekind

"... can the NP-95 battery be charged in the x10 charger..."

Pepstn:

NP-95 battery does not fit the Fuji BC-45W charger.

I purchased 2 x 2200 mAh batteries with charger and auto/euro adapter ($19.99) from Blue Nook http://www.bluenook.com/dp/B005CRHM5C. And yes, the original Fuji battery will charge nicely in this.

Good deal, etc.

If you are as pleased as I am with this camera, you will be very pleased indeed.

findlekind

"...the ["multi-use"] ring but given previous experiences with digi cameras, I would use it for manual focus..."

Garyh:

I use the ring exclusively for manual focus when shooting, using the front function button for aperture/shutter swapping in Manual Mode.

The ring also acts as a zoom control when reviewing photos.

Pepstn

Findlekind, thank you for your reply. Have been thinking of getting the Fuji charger and using my iPad charger plug instead of the cord. I read a lot of spotty comments about third party batteries and chargers. Anyway, I haven't held the camera in my hands yet and I love it already!

Earbypics

I'm thinking of investing in an X30.  I have owned two X10's in between which I owned an X20, which I didn't get on with for some undefinable reason. Anyway, having gone back to the X10, which I love and will keep forever, I had a quick look over the X30 and agree at first glace with comments above, certainly in respect of the EVF.  The X10 is however a classic and well worth the cost at the time.

Christopher

I should go to a shop to see the X30, I have been curious to handle one. I really loved my X10, and I liked the promise of the optical viewfinder, but I was ultimately disappointed in the viewfinder's usability. I found myself using the rear LCD to frame shots more often than now. The X20's new OVF offered exactly what I had dreamed of for the X10, but by then I realized that I much preferred EVF's in every way.

The X30 offers all of the features I like to find in cameras today. Fujifilm really nailed EVF performance, they're so responsive now, it's hard not to like them.

gryphon1911

The OVF of the X10 needs more feedback, for sure!  Fuji should have had the X20 OVF in the original X10.  They are great little cameras and the sensors are phenomenal given their size.  I've not had the opportunity to use an X30 for any length of time, but Fuji is good about having worthy updates.

Earbypics

From my X10 this weekend... still delivers the goods!

Gothic_Alley_3.thumb.jpg.db8b4d975331673

• Like 3

MadDog

Sure does deliver the goods!  Awesome shot!

Edited by MadDog
  • Like 1