Sign in to follow this  
exakta

Battery Life Question (Drive mode)

exakta

Since so many folks (esp. reviewers) get anal about battery life, I'm trying to figure out something relative to drive mode of the X10.

I was shooting in drive mode last weekend and the final result was over 600 frames captured, which is over twice the rated battery capacity of 270 shots. The battery icon on the screen showed 2/3 at the end of the shoot (yes, I know the icon is not very accurate).

Any ideas why I barely drained the battery?

veejaycee

Small normal jpg setting? I get over 300 raw files.

dem

from http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_rate_battery_runtime

"The Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA) set up in Japan in 2002 succeeded in developing a standardized battery-life test for digital cameras. Under the test scheme, the camera takes a photo every 30 seconds, half with flash and the other without. The test zooms the lens in and out all the way before every shot and leaves the screen on. After every 10 shots, the camera is turned off for a while and the cycle is repeated."

Not sure what you mean by "shooting in drive mode", perhaps "continuous shooting" rather than "single image" drive mode.

If you are using your camera in the burst mode (continuous shooting), then there is no flash, the focusing and exposure metering are done only once per burst and it is easy to get 600-800 shots in 20 minutes without turning the camera OFF and ON once. I find that for this type of shooting (burst mode, AF-S or manual focus modes, jpegs only) the battery life quoted in the manual can be safely doubled.