Sign in to follow this  
bristolrio

Lens movement on X-M1 causes restart

bristolrio

Hello all,

New to this forum - I have an X-M1 and have just noticed today that the lens moves ever so slightly against the camera and this is causing the camera to turn off and back on again. It is pretty frustrating but avoidable if I am careful not to touch the lens nearest to the camera body. It is a shame this is happening though.

I have taken the lens off via the quick release button and can see no noticeable wear or damage on the lens or the body. Is anyone aware of this issue or had experience with contacting Fujifilm for a quick (cheap) repair!

The standard quote online on their website is £135... seems quite steep. Is this worth it? Could I fix it myself? Or take it to a 3rd party and get it repaired for less? Look forward to your responses .. many thanks.

Lens - XC16-50

I don't have any other lens' to test unfortunately to see if it is the body or the lens fault!

Dennis

Could describe this lens movement? Is it movement along the axis of the lens? Or do you twist the lens? Could you try out another lens in a shop? Are you within EU; warranty?

farrell

I would suggest removing the lens and assuring that none of the contact pins is

sticking by pushing each thru its entire travel.

veejaycee

Several of the XF lenses have movement between the lens and body including some of the supposedly weather protected 50-140mm lenses. I have a little movement between the mount of my 18-55 zoom and bodies of XP1/XT1. I haven't experienced any problems from that small amount of movement though. I was actually somewhat surprised when a couple of days ago I bought a used 16-5mm XC lens (for IR) to find that it is the best fitting of my several Fuji lenses (all the others are XF).

boulevardier

My 16-50 also shows slight rotational movement on the X-M1 and X-Pro1. Checking again, so do various adapters with third party lenses. I guess there is some play designed into the Fuji bayonet mount, or manufacturing tolerances are a bit slack.

If your lens shows directional play (waggle), my first thought would be the six cross-head screws on the X-M1 body, then the four screws on the rear of the 16-50 lens. Mounts do come loose with twist and lens weight acting upon them. If the screws are slack I'd gently tighten them with a watchmaker's screwdriver (Ebay or some Pound/Dollar stores) rather than pay the Fuji premium for someone to perform the same operation - gently being the operative word.

If the mount and rear lens screws are all tightened correctly and there's still excess play (more than 1 mm of rotational twist), chances are there's a problem with the lens internally or the camera body.

bristolrio

Could describe this lens movement? Is it movement along the axis of the lens? Or do you twist the lens? Could you try out another lens in a shop? Are you within EU; warranty?

Hello -

The lens moves in the direction of taking it off and on again ... in other words you put the lens on, and you hear a click (the standard sound) - and then without pressing the button the lens can move backwards (left if looking directly at the screen), ever so slightly - which causes the camera to turn off and back on again.

I could try another lens in a shop yes - would you just ask them to test this problem... or pretend to buy in order to test the problem?

I am within the EU (England) and no - out of warranty unfortunately - bought it Dec 2013. Could I try the 6 year rule??

bristolrio

I would suggest removing the lens and assuring that none of the contact pins is

sticking by pushing each thru its entire travel.

Thank you - tried your suggestion but the problem still occurs.. (by pins did you mean the golden electronic pins or something else..?)

bristolrio

My 16-50 also shows slight rotational movement on the X-M1 and X-Pro1. Checking again, so do various adapters with third party lenses. I guess there is some play designed into the Fuji bayonet mount, or manufacturing tolerances are a bit slack.

If your lens shows directional play (waggle), my first thought would be the six cross-head screws on the X-M1 body, then the four screws on the rear of the 16-50 lens. Mounts do come loose with twist and lens weight acting upon them. If the screws are slack I'd gently tighten them with a watchmaker's screwdriver (Ebay or some Pound/Dollar stores) rather than pay the Fuji premium for someone to perform the same operation - gently being the operative word.

If the mount and rear lens screws are all tightened correctly and there's still excess play (more than 1 mm of rotational twist), chances are there's a problem with the lens internally or the camera body.

okay thank you - I will see if I can find one and give this a go!

Dennis

@bristolrio Your description is somewhat similar to what I experienced with my X-Pro1 at some point. Any lens could wiggle slightly (rotational movement) - nothing alarming, but it could consistently when twisting the lens, force the camera to loose the connection with the lens and cause black screen/restart and/or "Lens Error" message. This was discovered just a few months after purchase and fixed by Fujifilm right away - no discussions. This problem appear to be very rare - only reported a few times on the Interweb. You should definitely try other lenses to determine if is indeed a problem with the mount on the camera. Trying out a demo lens in a shop should be possible.

"
...I am within the EU (England) and no - out of warranty unfortunately - bought it Dec 2013. Could I try the 6 year rule??...
"

Now I am no expert on warranty within England, but in general within EU, you have 2 years of warranty unless local law provides something even better. This appear to be the case with UK and the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA). Googled this:

"...
SOGA provides cover for goods bought for up to six years – in England and Wales. This means if a TV fails after 13 months, you still have rights. Assuming the item has failed through no fault of yours, and it was "reasonable" to expect it to last longer – given its cost/quality – you should demand, under the Sale of Goods Act, that it be replaced or repaired by the retailed, not the manufacturer. Once the item is six months old, the onus is on you, the consumer, to show the item failed as a result of a manufacturing fault...
"

Has the camera undergone unusual wear and tear? Damaged? All is not lost yet - keep us updated.

Edit: More details found here:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

jeremyclarke

Oh wow I have this same problem and didn't even realize the parameters until reading this. For me it's the XC 50-230mm lens, but the same effect: Any twisting force at all against the mount "restarts" the camera (screen blacks, focus resets and it reloads).

I had thought the blackouts were triggered when altering focus from either extreme (i.e. zooming in from 50 or out from 230) but it seems that was just the case because those are the points where zooming causes the most twist force and I can cause the reset from any position by just zooming fast/hard.

Very annoying and dissapointing because I guess it was happening from the start. I'll have to see if Fuji will replace it or not (bought it in the last year).

jezztech

Dennis thanks for your helpful comment, will investigate this potential cause tomorrow.

Kind regards

Jeremy