Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Community Update - Site Upgrade Coming Soon

Christopher

The Fuji X Series Community forums are getting a big upgrade very soon! This community started out back in 2011 in anticipation of the release of the very first Fujifilm X Series camera, the Finepix X100. In those early days our forum software served us well, but as the X Series family continues to grow, our community has outgrown the simplicity of our forum software. I will be working to migrate all of our existing user account and forum posts, the forum may experience some brief downtime during the transition. Your user accounts will remain in tact, along with your passwords. A few early accounts that utilize Twitter and Facebook for logins may need to have their passwords reset, instructions will be provided once the new site is launched.

I will be here to help everyone with the transition. The new software is very user friendly, most of you will already be familiar with it, but I'll be around to answer any technical questions. Please be patient with me during this transition, I will be polishing up the new site over the coming weeks with incremental refinements.

My goal is to bring the Fuji X Series Community into the future with a fresh new website that is easy to use on every device, from desktops, tablets, to mobile phones. Our forums categories will be improved to help everyone find the discussions they're most interested in.

Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this community so far! Your contributions are what make this place great. I will keep everyone updated as to our progress here in this topic. Stay tuned!

Dennis

I wonder if there will be a forum preview on FujiRumors - this is almost as exciting as a new X camera in the pipeline! :)

Chris, thanks for years of committed work providing us with this forum; a favorite spot of mine on the Interweb. Would like to click Like - maybe a feature in the new forum?

Christopher

We will have the ability to Like content, for sure! I've already begun the migration, these few posts won't make it to the new site :)

johnwillyums

This is good news, thanks very much.

I would like to post photographs direct onto the site, is this going to be possible?

Ordinarily, I post my photographs on Google+ and/or Facebook.

Neither gives me a url., so I cant post examples etc on this forum.

Good forum ,thanks :-)

photogirl

I too would like to say a big thank you @Christopher, for all your hard work in keeping this site a dream to use and navigate.

I may not contribute as much as others but I do come here on a daily basis and read through the interesting debates and comments.

Looking forward to moving forward to the new site with anticipation.

Viv

;-)

K1W1_Mk2

You can post photos directly to this forum from Google +. The only problem if it is a problem is that you can't control the size so the posted image here is whatever size that image is on G+ which doesn't play well with the current layout here.

gryphon1911

Good luck, Christopher. Looking forward to the upgrade.

Christopher

Thanks for your support everyone!

It will be easier to post photos on the new forum, even large ones, and they will display perfectly without the distortion we sometimes see here.

I hit a snag with our conversion yesterday, but I hope to try again later today after ironing out the bugs with a trial run first.

johnwillyums

K1W1Mk2, that was my attempt at posting an image from G+

If I click on the image icon ' on this forum, I get prompted to add a URL.

So I went to G+. opened up one of my images to "viewer" size.

I then copy and pasted my G+ page URL into the box from this forum. the above is what I get.

johnwillyums

So, what about it Christopher? Will we be able to post photos to this forum without issues in future.

It seems odd to me that the only forum I know of, and I'm involved in several, tech one's etc, that I cannot just post one of my photographs to, is a photographic forum.

K1W1_Mk2

K1W1Mk2, that was my attempt at posting an image from G+

If I click on the image icon ' on this forum, I get prompted to add a URL.

So I went to G+. opened up one of my images to "viewer" size.

I then copy and pasted my G+ page URL into the box from this forum. the above is what I get.

Right click on the image in G+ and copy the image URL not the page URL which is what you are doing at the moment.

Christopher

I promise it will be much easier to post photos on the new forum without needing to know HTML.

The migration is still on hold while I wait for developers of the forum software to resolve a bug with the data conversion system. This is the system that will import all of our old posts and user information. This is the most critical part. I was under the impression that they had ironed out all the bugs but it seems they still have some work to do. To say we've been 'trapped' in this old forum software would be an understatement, but I've been working hard on this solution :) Keep your fingers crossed, maybe they'll get it resolved today!

Dennis

Bravo @johnwillyums! Resizing can be done in different ways. The current forum platform will resize your image to fit the layout - and this has happened above with your oversize image.

Naturally you can also upload to Google+/Photos in a different size.

But you can also tweak the embedded sizing parameters in the image URL you get from Goggle+/Photos. In the below URL I have changed the size to 300x200 pixels - look for the w300-h200 part:

picasabackground-062.jpg

This will give you a much smaller image:

picasabackground-062.jpg

Christopher

I've made great progress today with the conversion, I was able to successfully migrate all of our community data during a test run, with the exception of private messages. I would hate to lose everyone's private messages in the migration, I am going to try my best to find a solution. Worst case scenario, those messages could be lost :(

johnwillyums

Thanks K1W1Mk2, Photogirl, and Dennis. I've been using this forum for three years (I think), and I've been frustrated at not being able to post my stuff on here.

This is going to make the forum much more functional for me, great stuff, and with Christopher's improvements, much joy could be spread around.

Christopher

It seems that I won't be able to migrate our forum's private messages, due to some fundamental differences between this and the new more robust messaging system. This is an unfortunate outcome, but I feel that it is something that we can collectively handle. I'm not sure how many people even utilize the private message system these days. Nonetheless, moving forward to a new modern forum platform is most important for this community to continue forward.

I'll keep everyone updated further, if all goes well we'll be migrated within the weekend. In the meantime, archive any of your private messages that you would like to save. I cannot promise we'll be able to access the old messages once the new site is live.

Christopher

One great thing about the new forum software is the post editor! It allows you to post images with ease, it has a 'what you see is what you get' view, so you'll actually see your post's formatting while you're creating it, including embedded photos. That right click and copy the image URL trick will work just the same too :)