Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Community Update - Site Upgrade Coming Soon

RichardCFrost

Your efforts are very much appreciated Christopher.

Speaking only for myself of course, I have no concerns over the loss of PMs.

Christopher

Thanks for your support!

It seems I may have finally cracked this cookie and found a way to migrate our private messages after all! I just finished the first test run and it looks good so far! I'm going to keep tinkering to be sure I get all the kinks ironed out before the big move.

The new community site will have a more traditional 'forum' view, I'm going to be reorganizing our new forum categories to combine similar camera series, such as the X100 line, X-E line, X-T line, etc. After I finish migrating our data and setting up the new site, I'll be working on the new organization. Don't be alarmed if the site comes back online but has a new order!

jeremyclarke

Thanks for all your work!

I for one will miss the "web 2.0" simplicity of this Vanilla forum. It was never a super popular app but I always found it so much prettier than all the cluttered competition. I also found there was a synergy between this forum's beautiful lack of features and the "quirks" of Fuji cameras ;)

Excited to see what's coming next! Would definitely not have been heartbroken if my PMs had been lost FWIW.

Christopher

I hear you, I really debated over using Vanilla in the beginning days, I love its simplicity and ultimately decided to use it because it offered something different, but as we've grown beyond the original X100, we just need something more robust that handles everyone's needs.

Custy

Agree with Jeremy and Dennis. Understand need for something more robust for everyone's needs but simplicity in layout, for me, is what makes this site such a pleasure to read and participate in.

mattmaber

Yeah I love how simple this is, I hope the new forum is nice and clean too =D

Christopher

Absolutely, I'll work hard to keep it nice and clean so we can focus on the content.

Now I'm just waiting for the right moment to begin the final migration, almost all the final details are lined up and ready.

Dennis

Just a thought; will bookmarks migrate? I guess that's a complex task, right?

Christopher

I'm not sure that I'll be able to save old bookmarked links, but I will try my best to find a solution. There may be a way for me to get old links to redirect to the new version. Thanks for bringing up the issue Dennis, I had forgotten to explore this.

Later this week is looking prime for the switchover. As always, I'll keep everyone posted!

Christopher

Unfortunately I haven't been able to pin down an exact time. I've actually been waiting for the developers of the new forum software to release their next version that resolves some big bugs. I want to be sure the transition is as smooth as possible. I have everything lined up on our side though, just waiting for the right moment, since the site will have to be taken offline for a short period of time.

Christopher

Welcome to the new forum! It's still a work in progress as I refine the new categories and site design, please be patient with me as I continue to polish everything.