Sign in to follow this  
ramso

Capture One Pro and Yosemite

ramso

Hi . .

I had a major hickup with my mac . . have not been upgrading to yosemite because of the Aperture issue . .

Problem is I accidentally selected install and now my whole Aperture library 33k shots, is part of photos . . .

I can recover my Aperture library from older backup and Time Machine ( I Hope), but now face being unable to use Aperture.

So . . . I am thinking of Capture One . . My question is, has anyone else migrated to this system. It seems to have good reports, but Ive yet to see a users report.

I am not a Lightroom fan and don't want a cloud based system . . .

Does anyone have any other suggestions . . .

I can believe I made this mistake . . .It's causing me some grief . .

kakman

You can still use Aperture with Yosemite, it's supported and I run it here. You do need to get the latest version though.

As for Capture one, that's what I'm moving too. I haven't moved any of my old Aperture library over yet but when I get a spare few days I will have a good clean out and then migrate over. Everything I have shot for the past couple of months has gone through C1 and I'm getting more and more used to it. Does a great job and one you get around the differences in interface it is not unlike Aperture.

Like you, I'm not a fan of Lightroom, I've tried it multiple times and always hated the GUI.

artuk

I've been using C1 Pro v7 and now v8 for about 2 years. I don't like Adobe and C1 does much the same but with arguably better results.

However, the X trans file rendering isn't bad, better than Adobe was, but still not perfect. Depends if that bothers you.

Look at Silky Pix v6 - you get a discount upgrading from Fuji Raw File Converter. Lacks sophisticated cataloguing, but I really like the results from v6 with non Fuji files. The pro version is expensive but includes some basic editing/cloning features.

mattmaber

Yeah latest aperture works fine with Yosemite.

What's the issue exactly?

Also, I though if you convert to photos it keeps the aperture library. Certainly kept my iPhoto library when I moved over. And it does ask.

ramso

Thanks for the replies.... good to know you guys are happy with C1...

My issue is when I go to the App Store there is no Version of Aperture to download...

Currently downloading C1... but there seems to be an opinion that it is not compatible with the Yosemite....

Steve

Cameraman51

I shoot in a product studio with a 6D and C1. C1 has a great feature set. Search out Phase One's You Tube page. There are plenty of very good workflow, technique and behind the scenes videos. Make sure to register on line to get notification of webinars. They're archived too.

RichardCFrost

Aperture is still in the App Store but not for new users. As an existing user, you need to select 'Purchases' and it will be there for you to download @ramso

kakman

If you still can't find Aperture give Apple a call. They do some weird things with the App store but if you call them they will arrange for it to be 'put back' so you can access it. I recall I had to do this at one stage but rest assured it does work fine once you get it.

ramso

Thanks guys... have not been able to contact Apple yet... will keep trying...

RichardCFrost

No need to contact Apple @ramso. Just go into the App Store, as per my post above, click 'Purchases' and a list of all the things you have previously downloaded, bought or updated will be there, and that list should include Aperture.

If you did not buy it from the App Store, or have never updated it, then reinstall from your original discs.

kakman

The original install disks can't get you to the latest version which is only available via the App store. If it doesn't show as a past purchase, the only option is a call to Apple and they are aware of the issue. IIRC they give you a code which allows redemption of the latest version at no cost. This came up several times on an Aperture forum I frequented (but has since closed).

kausthub

What do you guys think about Perfect Photo Suite from OnOne software? Is that any good?

K1W1_Mk2

What do you guys think about Perfect Photo Suite from OnOne software? Is that any good?

Does it work on Macs?

I tried a couple of versions (Windows) several years ago and it was the buggiest photo editing software I have ever used. I'd like to think it is better now but the other issue I had was an unbelievable amount of spam from the company wanting me to take advantage of "upgrades" and "additional products" all at a cost of course. Overall it was not a happy experience with that software.

kausthub

@K1W1_Mk2 It does work on Macs... I do agree on the upgrades and additional prodcuts!!! It is annoying

andyfromboston

@ramso, you can get back into Aperture even after migrating to Photos.

Look in the location where your Aperture library is kept. Usually that's the Photos folder in your user home. There should be a file with a name like Aperture Library and a new extension (turn on the Finder option that allows you to view .extensions if you haven't already) that indicates it's a migrated Aperture library. I forget the exact terminology but it's obvious when you see it.

Open that file in the latest Aperture version. It will warn you that it's an already migrated library and changes you make in Aperture won't appear in Photos.

Now, if you've been storing your master files within the Aperture library, you can change that. Go to the all photos view, select everything, and use Relocate Originals. I think it's in the File menu. Create a new base folder in the location where you want them to be and if there's an option to create subfolders by project name, turn it on. Your Aperture library will be kept intact and the way it shows in Aperture will not change, but the files will now be located in the new folder. If you transition to C1, you can just Import the entire base folder with the option to keep the files in their original location turned on. If you use both programs for a time while figuring out exactly what to use, you can simply use Aperture to import files from your camera into new subfolders in that base folder, and then use Import in C1 to bring the same files into C1, keeping them stored in the original location.

ramso

Hi lads . . . again thanks for you valuable assistance.

The good news I now have Aperture 3.6 installed and running, whole library restored.

I ended up having to ring Apple support because I could not get the App Store to show a new version of Aperture that I could download.

I booked a call with an Apple tech, a guy called Tony who it turns out is in Ireland while I am in Sydney . . he remote accessed my Mac and guided me through the procedure. If anyone is having trouble I think is the way to go . . whole process took about 30 mins . . Meanwhile I am also going to run Capture One . . It seems like a very reliable and stable platform, just a new learning curve.I am a happy camper.

Sometimes Apple really piss us off with their updates and applications changing, but this is a great example of how good a company they can be . . .

Cheers

Steve

motionbug

FYI Aperture is end of life and can not be found anymore on the app store. You can find it in your purchase if you already bought it before.

If you haven't yet have a look at Light Room 6, very very fast with so many new features (HDR, panorama) don't even need photoshop any more. I am loving it.

mattmaber

For my photos I use aperture and haven't use photoshop for them for years.

Photoshop is strictly for the details imho.