Sign in to follow this  
farrell

Apparent +sharpness-induced artifact in my jpegs;real or not?

farrell

I noticed that my x-cams' JPEGS all look better(to me)with processor-determined sharpening only.

I have known corneal dystrophy, but my +3 reading glasses help.

Any shared experiences, conclusions?

artuk

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by " processor determined sharpening" - do you mean adding sharpening yourself out of camera?

Typically increasing sharpening in most cameras introduces sharpening artefacts. With X Trans cameras, you also get artefacts in the jpegs as a result of the sensor layout, particularly (though not exclusively) in the green channel, as noted by all the reports about problems with very fine random detail such as distant foliage.

farrell

Sorry for the miscommunication. I was referring to the level of sharpening applied by

the image processor at "0", if any. Anyway, my JPEGs look better to me without any +.

Thanks for your help.

gryphon1911

Yes, I feel this is true as well, and not only for the X cams, but I've noticed it in my m43 cameras as well. It was so bad in the m43 cameras that the artifacting was very apparent even at base ISO.

I since have actually turned the in camera sharpening down to -1 and then do a more aggressive sharpening in Lightroom after the fact. We are talking night and day difference in the output quality of the JG

farrell

I'm back to 0 and much happier with the JPEGs. What drew my attention was the effect of

sharpening on the textured matte black trim of vehicles in the sun. Ugly, even @iso 200,

Which I don't elevate except for streetlight.

artuk

Sorry for the miscommunication. I was referring to the level of sharpening applied by

the image processor at "0", if any. Anyway, my JPEGs look better to me without any +.

Thanks for your help.

I always thought the Fuji in camera jpegs were "ok" but lacked sharpness in the fine detail. This seems to be partly a result of the problems when de-mosaicing the X Trans sensor data, since similar results can be found when developing raw files in third party software. Also, there is no in-camera option to completely disable noise reduction (it can be turned down but not off). Lastly, the de-mosaicing of X Trans data appears to apply some noise filtering by the very nature of the sensor layout. All of these things smooth very fine pixel level detail to varying degrees. Increasing in camera sharpness merely acts to sharpen structural detail and create artefacts, but didn't seem to enhance any fine detail, as it probably wasn't there in the first place. The problem becomes more evident as ISO increases - I have portraits taken at around ISO800 in flat light that show very little skin detail, for example.

artuk

Very enlightening. Thank you.

Sony cameras more than a couple of years old have dreadful jpeg engines, where sharpening creates all sorts of artefacting, even in the smaller preview image that is shown on the rear LCD (not the same as the full size jpeg also recorded). However, developing the raw files yourself generally allowed better detail to be recovered. With Fuji, the jpegs are generally good in so much as they are very clean and reasonably sharp, but maybe it's more difficult to get more fine detail from raw files due to the well reported problems encountered with X Trans raw files when developing them.