Sign in to follow this  
skygrowler

X30 battery life

skygrowler

Hi , new here so hello everybody .

i would like other peoples findings on the x30 battery life.

i have had mine for a few weeks and am pleased with it apart from the battery life .

i am getting 240 shots per charge , very little flash , no lcd and hardly any reviewing .

i have the same result from the original battery, a replacement battery , using a charger and charging in camera .

has anyone else got any results to compare ?

i am inclined to return the camera as faulty .

thanks for any views .

gryphon1911

The X10/X20 used to get better results because you did have an OVF you could use in place of the rear LCD.

The battery has not changed much since the X10 and the X30 now has to drive an internal EVF and an LCD, which is not good on the already anemic battery life anyway.

I noticed the biggest hits on battery on those small cameras was leaving it on. Turning it off when not using it for a few minutes might help, but is a PITA. Not sure how quickly the X30 power up from off, but it was one of the issues I had with the X10 - I'd miss shots that way - but at least the battery wasn't dead. :(

skygrowler

Fuji give the battery life as 470 shots ! the lcd is turned off , i only use the viewfinder .

the estimate probably includes a certain amount of use of flash and LCD as well as playback .

i reckon out of the 240 shots flash was used 4-5 times , LCD the same and playback / delete 5-6 times !

skygrowler

another thing i have found is that the camera stops charging after two and a half hours ,the manual states four and a half hours could it be only half charging the battery ?

i think it will have to go back to the shop .

dem

So you are charging the battery for half the time and wonder why it only lasts for half the number of shots. You might have answered your own question.

farrell

Did the "charged" indicator come on? The typical times I see are about two and a half

hours.

skygrowler

So you are charging the battery for half the time and wonder why it only lasts for half the number of shots. You might have answered your own question.

that's not what i said ! i said the camera stops charging not i stopped charging it .

skygrowler

Did the "charged" indicator come on? The typical times I see are about two and a half

hours.

there is no "charged " indicator to come on the charging light goes off . are you talking about the same camera?

dem

I hope I'm getting the numbers right:

1. The capacity of the X30 battery is 1800 mAh, whereas it was 1100 mAh for the X10 and X20. So the X30 battery should last longer (when the LCD is used on the X10) and will take longer to charge.

2. A dedicated charger would normally provide a higher current than a USB port on the computer. Example: with a typical USB2 current of 500 mA, it takes over 1800/500=3.6 hours to fully charge an X30 battery.

skygrowler

hours.

but do you get anywhere near 470 shots ? i realise manufacturers are , shall we say prone to exaggeration but half the number they quote can't be right , can it ?

farrell

I never made any effort to tally them and I take mfr's claims not very seriously.

skygrowler

1. The capacity of the X30 battery is 1800 mAh, whereas it was 1100 mAh for the X10 and X20. So the X30 battery should last longer (when the LCD is used on the X10) and will take longer to charge.

2. A dedicated charger would normally provide a higher current than a USB port on the computer. Example: with a typical USB2 current of 500 mA, it takes over 1800/500=3.6 hours to fully charge an X30 battery.

i am using the charger that came with the camera plugged into the wall socket.

all i really need to know is , is there anyone that gets 470 shots from an X30 ?

farrell

There is a complication in that

batteries being charged accept charging current at a diminishing rate as the battery

charges. At near-full charge, the current is down to a trickle.

skygrowler

ok so no-one has an answer to my question , thanks for trying . i only noticed the shortfall as i am using the camera to take a large number of shots every day and expected to get somewhere near what Fuji claim even more so as i am not using LCD and the quoted figures are !

i will take it back to the shop and get it checked .

K1W1_Mk2

The published shots per charge figure manufacturers use is based on a complicated formula which you should be able to find with some help from Google and generally bears little resemblance to what happens in the real world. It's that same as the mpg figures motor manufacturers claim - they are theoretical only.

If you are getting in the region of 250-300 shots per charge from any Fuji camera you are about on average with most other users.

As far as charging is concerned most USB chargers in 2015 provide up to 2,1A not the USB2.0 standard 400mA mentioned above. The two hours or so you are seeing for a charge us once again tick for most camera batteries. Obviously it will take longer if the charge rate is lower.

skygrowler

The published shots per charge figure manufacturers use is based on a complicated formula which you should be able to find with some help from Google and generally bears little resemblance to what happens in the real world. It's that same as the mpg figures motor manufacturers claim - they are theoretical only.

If you are getting in the region of 250-300 shots per charge from any Fuji camera you are about on average with most other users.

As far as charging is concerned most USB chargers in 2015 provide up to 2,1A not the USB2.0 standard 400mA mentioned above. The two hours or so you are seeing for a charge us once again tick for most camera batteries. Obviously it will take longer if the charge rate is lower.

once again ,i must point out that the claim by Fuji is 470 shots , why should i consider half that amount acceptable ?

K1W1_Mk2

If that really is an issue for you the best option is to sell the camera or if possible return it to the store. Unfortunately every camera you buy will get less than the manufacturers shots per charge claim when used in the real world but maybe you will find one somewhere that will get closer to what is claimed and that will solve your issue.

Personally I buy cameras based on image quality and functionality I don't give a rats for how long the battery lasts and couldn't tell you what my cameras are supposed to get rather than what they do get but I understand that different people have different priorities and it seems that Fuji have failed your major one so its decision time for you I guess as there is no way any Fuji X30 owner will get even close to 470 shots per charge.

farrell

Like it or not, I think your experience is consistent with that of most of us.

dem

My X-S1 uses the same NP-95 battery that is supposed to last for 460 shots with the LCD and 500 with the EVF as per manual. I am getting anywhere between 100 and 900 shots depending on the shooting conditions.

Fuji specs are CIPA complaint btw, so the conditions the stated battery life time was tested under are mostly known:

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/comment/84120

RichardCFrost

With every digital camera I have ever had, I never trust the battery charge light going out to tell me the battery is full. I remove the battery, then replace it in the charger, then find it will charge for another half hour or so. This is true for my current Canon and Olympus camera batteries, and has held true for Sony, Fuji, Panasonic and Pentax camera batteries I have owned in the past.

Despite this, I always buy a couple of cheap batteries for backup, and always rotate all my batteries in use. Every camera manufacturer overstates the expected duration of their batteries, but the variables are endless:

a) how long has the battery sat unused since being charged

B) how much power zoom has been used (I know the X30 is not powered)

c) how much EVF use

d) how much flash

etc.

So as others have said, if you think you have been misled, by all means get a refund. Alternatively, suck it up and buy a cheap second battery from eBay or Amazon.

skygrowler

this is without doubt the most unfriendly forum i have ever had the misfortune to have asked a simple question on .

up your arses boys .

veejaycee

If you'll only accept the answer you want to hear (ie. ooh .... that's awful, you should return it), that is your problem.

Missing you already ...............

farrell

A simple answer is not always correct for a simple question.

Happy forum-hunting.