Sign in to follow this  
artuk

New Non Fuji Announcements

artuk
Christopher

Neat innovations! The Leica Q is very interesting with plenty of parallels to the X100 series. It would be fun to use one for a day of street photography, $4250 is a bargain compared to a Leica M setup, but astronomically expensive compared to Sony's RX1 line. I wonder if Sony will finally add a viewfinder to their next RX1 camera.

I love this genre of high end fixed lens cameras. Having Leica in the compact full frame game should help push everyone forward.

artuk

Neat innovations! The Leica Q is very interesting with plenty of parallels to the X100 series. It would be fun to use one for a day of street photography, $4250 is a bargain compared to a Leica M setup, but astronomically expensive compared to Sony's RX1 line. I wonder if Sony will finally add a viewfinder to their next RX1 camera.

I love this genre of high end fixed lens cameras. Having Leica in the compact full frame game should help push everyone forward.

There has been some discussion if the RX1 will be replaced. To some extent, the A7 series offers more to most consumers, at a lower price. The RX1 is exceptionally expensive to manufacture due to micron level tolerances within the lens and sensor assembly (something which contributes to it's well reported image quality). It comes down to how much profit the existing model has made, how many of a new model they think they can sell, and whether there is any profit in a replacement. Given the success of the A7 series, the APS-C e-mount product line, and the cheaper RX cameras, I doubt if it's very high on their list of priorities currently.

To put it into context, in the UK you can buy an RX1, or an original Sony A7 and the exceptional 35mm Zeiss f1.4 prime for the same price...

farrell

We all have our own preferences and prejudices. As to the Leica Q, I personally could

not adjust to a fixed 28mm lens on FF, though some like it for street shooting.

I like =35mm better in that use.

Davelovesfujix20

I look at the leica Q as a lovely piece of Jewelry, at over $4000 bucks, it's pretty, and yes it's full frame... but really, you could make a lot of photos with a X100T, which to me has the same aesthetics and will do pretty much the same thing.... to argue the point, I would venture to say that the X100T LOOKS more retro... more leica-like even. so I'd save three and half grand... and buy ticket to a street anywhere, and do some photography instead

boulevardier

so I'd save three and half grand... and buy ticket to a street anywhere, and do some photography instead

yep

Mihir

Well here is to the hope that fuji does a one up and brings out a MF body.

mattmaber

Imust admit, whilst its hugely out of my price range, and i prefer 35mm focal, I do want one. =D

Theres some very neat little touches with the AF switch, macro mode etc.

artuk

Well here is to the hope that fuji does a one up and brings out a MF body.

If you think full frame cameras are expensive, you better start saving for medium format, because it won't be cheap.

mattmaber

A fuji DIgital MF RF like the Pentax 645 would be awesome. But unlikely to happen and probably quite expensive.

artuk

A fuji DIgital MF RF like the Pentax 645 would be awesome. But unlikely to happen and probably quite expensive.

The sensors are just prohibitively expensive to make as the yield is quite low (Sony showed some stats for sensor yield by size, even FF size results in lots of them being thrown away as they don't work correctly at manufacture). If it could be cheap, someone like Pentax would already be doing it. Then there's the issue of lenses and lens mount.

RichardCFrost

We all have our own preferences and prejudices. As to the Leica Q, I personally could

not adjust to a fixed 28mm lens on FF, though some like it for street shooting.

I like =35mm better in that use.

I think it has a 'mode' where it will show you the crop for a 35mm view (and 50mm IIRC) in the viewfinder, and then will capture that view by cropping when you hit the shutter release. But it's not the same is it, to be honest. It's just a form of digital zooming.

"Another thing that makes the $4250 price tag of the Q more justifiable is the the simple fact that once you've bought the camera, that's it. There are no more lenses you can physically purchase for the system. And even if 28mm is not your cup of tea, the Leica offers options to crop the frame in to other focal lengths like 35mm and 50mm. If that seems silly to you, it really shouldn't. With a 24MP full frame CMOS sensor, the Q has plenty of resolution for cropping in, at least a bit."

From DPReview (of course) http://www.dpreview.com/previews/leica-q-typ116/4

farrell

The available crops are nice, but I don't make money from photography and already

spend too much money on it.

Also, Leitz seems to have made no effort to build the lens into the camera for

compactness.

pominpocket

Yeah true . Its not that compact. The X100 /S/T is a piece of art. The lens is so small as I believe most of it is inside the body of the camera. Also does this Q have a OVF?

Does it have a flash. At full frame can 28 mm render an out of focus back ground? Does it distort portraits?

Strangelove

If Leica Q would come with a 50mm lens I would buy it in a second to replace the good old X100. Oposite, if Fuji would bring a full frame, 50mm lens, Bayer sensor X100 styled camera I would buy it in half second...