Sign in to follow this  
ChrisO

Really basic transfer question- How?

ChrisO

I'm embarrassed to be asking because it seems like it should be obvious, but how does one get images from the camera to a laptop (Mac) using the cable.

I've connected them with the supplied USB cable. I would expect that the camera shows as an external drive, but it doesn't.

I know there is a wireless transfer program but that appears to require access to the WiFi router, which I don't have, so it's not an option. (Why didn't they use Bluetooth?)

The manual rather blithely says "Connect the camera using the supplied USB cable and copy images to the computer." Easier said than done.

veejaycee

I don't use a Mac so I don't know how they would show but most of us oldies use a card reader while the more youthful have some sort of wifi thing - sounds like Voodoo to me.

Have you checked your Mac for a card slot - I thought they were pretty standard on Macs.

gryphon1911

I know on Windows and Chromebooks that the new devices automatically mount. Linux requires you to manually mount the devices on some distros.

Does Mac/Apple computers require a manual mount or do they auto mount? Not sure.

morpheme

Look for Image Capture in your applications. I'm don't recall downloading it, so I'm thinking it's a standard included application. You shouldn't have to manually mount the camera. Turn it on and it should show up.

vague_logic

As morpheme says; for a Mac you need to use Image Capture (it's in the Applications folder if you haven't yet included it on the Dock). The camera will not show up as a drive on the desktop. Image Capture saves imports into the "Pictures" folder on the main drive by default. I don't want this so have created an "Import" folder on a temporary drive where Image Capture saves the imports. You can then point the import tool of your photo software at the folder with the images.

Petrus

I find it more convenient just to use the card reader on my Macbook. No cables to attach.

ChrisO

Ahah... Ok I've found the Image Capture and set up an Import folder. All seems to be working now.

(Why don't they mention that in the manual ???)

Thanks for the help :-)

boulevardier

It's all voodoo to me. Using Microsoft laptops I've often found some aspect of software doesn't work with equipment I've bought, then magically with no intervention from me, it does. At one point Fuji RAF files would only show as blank and the software to open them couldn't be found with a double click. Then they showed as blank but opened in an editing program, then the images showed fully without me doing anything.

I've also found conflicts between editing programs that go away with time. I assume this is either Microsoft, or Fuji, or whoever messin' with my computer in their bid for world domination.

K1W1_Mk2

then the images showed fully without me doing anything.

That is probably because your Windows was updated either in the background or because you clicked yes to an update message and the update included the Windows codecs for RAF files.

boulevardier

That is probably because your Windows was updated either in the background or because you clicked yes to an update message and the update included the Windows codecs for RAF files.

I'm sure you're right. Windows is forever updating something or other, and I assume disparate media software communication is part of it. It's somewhat alarming (to me at any rate) if something can be introduced so quickly and stealthily how quickly access to a piece of software can be dropped, leaving files high and dry. Discussions of this sort generally end with me being painted an alarmist or out of touch or whatever, so best to keep smiling and double clicking and hope it all lasts forever.

K1W1_Mk2

Most people would be scared witless if they knew how vulnerable their computers were to all sorts of things.

One of the techs at work was tracking a stolen customers notebook the other day. The thief (or person who acquired it from the thief) was busy using it to watch a movie on the Internet while Rob was deleting all the clients work related files in the background AND taking photos of the user at the same time using the notebooks camera. When the files were deleted Rob literally killed the notebook. In the mean time the IP address the notebook was using had been tracked to a physical street address so we had the data back, photos of the thief (or user at least) and their address. The Police visited shortly after. If a small IT company can do this imagine what a real hacker or a large corporation could do.