Sign in to follow this  
ramso

Legacy Zooom Lens for XT1

ramso

Hi . .

I have been looking for a reasonably priced legacy zoom in the 70-200mm range . . Nikon seem to be the most available, but prices range from $200 to $1200 . . . does anyone have advice about what they use other than canikon equipment . .

veejaycee

If I were you I'd try one before buying. They are almost impossible to hold steady while you manually focus unless on a tripod and even then there are more misses than hits. I manage 135mm f2,8 on a monopod/tripod or firmly braced but for normal handholding, 85mm to 105mm is about the limit for consistent properly sharp images at full size. It's not the holding still while pressing the shutter - that can be helped with a higher shutter speed. It's the inaccurate focus using manual focus viewing through an EVF image which is waving about that is the problem.

The Fuji XC 50-230mm is well worth a look. It's sharp and light with good AF - cons is the slower max apertures. The 55-200 is a super lens, fast focus, sharp, good bokeh and reasonable price esp used or refurb.

ramso

I have an 55-200 XF, but just find it so slow to auto focus,

and manually is just useless. I plan to sell this lens very soon.

I dont want to spend huge dollars on the new 50-140 so thought I could experiment with

the legacy equipment . . would the 50-230 auto focus any better than the 55-200...?

johnwillyums

I had a Vivitar Series 1 version 3 (Made by Comine in Japan)of their 70-210 zoom.

I'd done weeks of research, and this was declared to be one of the best 70-210s ever made, that could be had for cheap.

I agree with veejayceee though, they are too big to be used. That was especially true of the Vivitar. It was one of those trombone zooms, and when it was fully extended, it was totally unwieldy. My mid range tripod wasn't up to it, and hand holding it was impossible.

I suppose I could have got a collar bracket, and a sturdier tripod, but that defeats the object.

70s Zeiss Jena Vario-Sonnar has good rep too. :-)

I also have a M.Rokkor 135mm f2.8, that is pinsharp, but I have to use it on a tripod, so it's not often used.

veejaycee

I have an 55-200 XF, but just find it so slow to auto focus,

and manually is just useless. I plan to sell this lens very soon.

I dont want to spend huge dollars on the new 50-140 so thought I could experiment with

the legacy equipment . . would the 50-230 auto focus any better than the 55-200...?

A 3rd party lens will be no easier to focus than the Fuji 55-200mm XF.

Do you have the firmware updated and the camera setup correctly for fast AF on the XT1 - the AF performance should improve with firmware 4. I'm surprised you find that lens slow since it is one the faster focusing XF lenses (the first with improved motors I think). Fuji use it as an example in many of their tests. Checkout the handbook for the XT1/XT10 update (thread on this forum). Wait until you get it before deciding.

boulevardier

One of the few areas of genuine advance in photography (as opposed to hype, of which there is an unending supply), is zoom lenses. With some exceptions, old ones aren't very good, new ones are much better. Computer aided design has taken away the need for a book full of logarithms, and manufacturers can turn out multi element lenses of more than adequate performance in a way they couldn't previously.

The small maximum apertures most come with, combined with the huge size of those that don't, mean old zooms send ISO into the stratosphere at usable shutter speeds for the focal length.

Old telephotos are usable, even longish ones with a monopod, but zooms not so much. I've used a Nikon 135mm hand held on an X-M1 and got good shots in daylight, but it isn't for the faint hearted.

ramso

I read the XT1/XT10 update . . . looks very promising . .

The 55-200 struggles at the long end of the range against confusing bg's . . but when I use it for surfography, it has no problem . . I think I have to be more conscious of what I shoot and what is in the bg that might confuse the auto focus system. I have borrowed an older nikon zoom to do some tests this weekend, but I feel I already know the answer.

veejaycee

I read the XT1/XT10 update . . . looks very promising . .

The 55-200 struggles at the long end of the range against confusing bg's . . but when I use it for surfography, it has no problem . . I think I have to be more conscious of what I shoot and what is in the bg that might confuse the auto focus system. I have borrowed an older nikon zoom to do some tests this weekend, but I feel I already know the answer.

The 55-200mm zoom is my least used lens these days simply for it's FL. However, I have found that especially if the lens is focused fairly close and you then swap to subject at distance with a plainish BG, let's say a plabe against the sky, the lens will run down the battery before it hits unless you manually move the focus into the ballpark area. I don't think used it that way since the last FW update though.

jezztech

I use my Tamron AD2 80-210 in Minolta MD mount from time to time on my X-e1. Tripod is essential but results can be VERY sharp if you take time focusing. I use Fuji grip which places the tripod thread directly behind the lens this aspect is essential, and then mounted on a Mannfroto universal lens support (there is an awful lot weight placed on the end of the camera body) with lens of this ilk. My experience is that one has to be patient in focus and composition, but the rewards are definitely to be had.

dannat

a light 135mm will be good, i have the OM mount Oly 135/3.5 -super light , but there are many good 135/2.8 around.

i find 200mm a seldom used f/l, its too close for short stuff & not long enough for distant obj. i also use a 300/4 sigma in Nik mount for longer stuff

if you do go a zom, the 80-200/2.8 can be had cheaply -or look for it in FD mount

andyfromboston

I'd wait a bit before ditching the X-T1 and 55-200 combo. Early testers are reporting good things using the new AF options. And, really, I'm a fan of legacy lenses and have owned some of the real and/or cult classics - a few versions of the Vivitar 70-210 Series 1, the version Kiron made after Vivitar and Kino parted ways, both the Nikon Series E tele zooms, a few 135's, a couple of companies' 200mm f/4's, that Tamron 80-210 BBAR, a Vivitar 135mm Close Focusing, to name a few, and in real world practical use they are all a huge pain to use on mirrorless. However bad the AF on your lens may seem, manual focus would be worse.

veejaycee

Agree with @andyfromboston I have the evaluation copy of the new XT1 FW and gave it a try out at an event yesterday. This new FW is the biggest we've had from Fuji. I know reviewers have said of previous updates that it's like having a new camera but this time it really is as if I have a new camera. Even the slowest lenses, the 35mm and the 60mm in fact especially those 2 and the 55-200mm are even more improved than the other lenses. I was shooting fighting kites and dancing kites and focus locked on so quickly and stayed there. I also tried the face detect/eye focus with those lenses and with the 18-55mm and it is very fast to recognise and lock onto faces although a once when shooting with a crowd background I found it homed in on a pair of well-rounded bums instead - unintentional officer I assure you!