Sign in to follow this  
devinjameson

Fuji X-T1 First Impressions + Why I Switched from Sony

devinjameson

Hey folks,

Just want to share my first impressions of the Fuji X-T1 as well as some thoughts on why I made the switch from the Sony a7s. May be useful if you're considering jumping into the Fuji arena.

www.devinjamesoncreative.com/posts/2015/6/17/fuji-x-t1-first-impressions

Devin

K1W1_Mk2

Welcome. It will be fun watching our resident Sony lover respond to this. Could make for some interesting reading.

devinjameson

Haha nothing against Sony--I love the a7s. Not right for all kinds of photography though.

artuk

Welcome. It will be fun watching our resident Sony lover respond to this. Could make for some interesting reading.

Well since you asked K1W1...

I've not come across anyone before who purchased an A7s for landscape work, as it's really not the obvious camera for that. It's really made as a ultra high ISO stills and video camera - some people use them for social documentary and street photography, for example. Mike Kobal uses one for video and interestingly also studio and outdoor fashion editorial work, and commented on how much he liked the files from the camera.

Colour is a very personal thing, to an extent. I'm surprised at buying a £2000 camera and shooting jpegs, as it's not going to get the best out of it. As an aside, the "neutral" profile is by far the most accurate, in the same way that the "pro neg std" is with Fuji.

Fuji colours are not especially "natural" although people find them pleasing. Any number of lab tests out there show that the colours are pushed to the warm, which in my experience in certain types of light (such as that in SE Asia) tended to make photos look a little yellow. That's not a criticism, it's an observation - many companies colour science doesn't result in neutrality (Minolta being a first hand example for me). Working from raw avoids this. Fuji jpegs from X Trans certainly look "different", and I can understand the comments about "film like", though of course X Trans raw files also come with their own challenges.

erniethemilk

Interesting read, thanks. I really like the look and feel of the Sony a7 but the lens line up I find very confusing.

boulevardier

I thought the Sony a7S was a low light video camera with stills capability? I'd love one for that role. To my eyes all digital camera files look uncompromisingly scientific, austere, brutal - call it what you will - without something to add a little subjectivity. Fuji look more subjective than many straight out the camera, sometimes too much in the case of mushy foliage, but all need some human intervention to personalise them, IMHO.