Sign in to follow this  
snorkel

New camera time.

snorkel

With the announcement of the XT10, I figured it would exactly what I needed as an upgrade from my old X10.

Now the price is out locally at $999 for the body only, $1350 with the 18-55mm. I'm finding the XT1 is now only $79 more for body only or about $130 with the 18-55mm lens.

However, since the XT1 is weather sealed, it'd be rude not to get the 18-135mm WR & it's about $500 cheaper than 6 months ago at $1700. I'm mainly photographing landscapes or mountain biking, so it's probably a good idea.

Or I could get an XP1 with the 18-55 for $1150. I know it hasn't got wifi & the autofocus is not as good as the XT's, but it's still pretty decent right?

macabee

As you shoot outdoors the X-T1 18~135 combo is the appropriate kit to get, This is the kit I use for outdoor's work. The X-Pro1 is still a great camera, I also use this for indoors and street shooting.

Good luck with whichever kit you buy.

veejaycee

I went out yesterday as usual with XP1 and XT1 to photograph an event expecting my favourite XP1 to do most of the work. However, I had installed the evaluation copy of vers 4 firmware in my XT1 (same as in XT10) and now it has me thinking. I shall keep the XP1 for street and for use with my primes but the XT1 will now become my do everything camera - no need for my DSLRs now. Thing is, the 35mm f1.4 and more so the 60mm f2.4 have long been favourite lenses in spite of their reluctant AF but on the XT they are fast and acurate so now I feel I will miss that speed and accuracy of focus when they are the XP1. The situation is somewhat saved by my having already ordered the new 90mm f2 which when it arrives will probably be first choice for the XT1. As an aside, the 55-200 is also much faster and more accurate using the zone systems and it holds focus too. Face detect/eye focus is excellent on all my lenses - listed below - not tried the 14mm on it yet but that hardly needs focusing.

The XT1 will be a great camera - weather proofing - it's okay but I've been shooting for 45 yrs + and never suffered a breakdown from lack of WP yet so I personally would not allow it or the lack of it to influence my choice for either body or lenses - certanly not over IQ anyway. The 18-135mm also smokes on the XT1 BTW. However, if you are a CH or LH (contin hi/lo) shooter you may run into buffer problems. I used CH on the XT1 yesterday for fighting kites just to see how the zone AF coped (very well) but I was was surprised at the frame rate and quietness compared to a Nikon in machine gun mode. Guy next to me shooting a Canon with a huge grey thing hanging off the front couldn't believe he was being out shot and had to try for himself before he believed it was actually shooting off frames at all.

XT1 or XT10 - you won't be sorry whichever you buy. Good luck with them.

jeremyclarke

Yeah -1 from me for X-PRO1 (I own X-E1). If you're shooting action at all (mountain bikes) it's going to be obnoxious to use. T1 or T10 are infinitely more likely to satisfy you in the long run.

If you want to save money by buying an old, AF-deficient camera then for sure get the X-E1 instead. It's price has plummeted compared to the X-PRO1, which has stayed strangely expensive considering how obsolete it is. You can get the X-E1 with 18-55mm for under $800, which is a great deal considering the standalone price of the lens.

If you'll mostly use it outside the 18-135mm bundle seems like a good value for you. In the long run I plan to use f/1.4 primes rather than my 18-55mm, but for the early days when I had no primes and even now as I build up my system it's incredibly useful to cover missing focal lengths and the IQ on all these lenses is high enough as long as you've got the light you need.

veejaycee

IMO the XP1 is for the thinking photographer rather than the spray and pray and trust in all auto user. Hence many Pros still use one alongside their XT1 - in fact quite a few have a backup XM1.

The new style user mostly falls in the former camp unforunately and the difference between X-Pro1 and vers 4 FW XT1 is so much greater than before that I feel I should bias my bit of advice in that direction.

snorkel

Thanks all.

I've mean shooting film lately, various old Canons & a Fuji GSW690iii, so I like the controls of the XT1. Means I have to think about what I'm doing as you can't afford to spray & pray with film. The X10 is not so good at it either.

Seems like I get on with the XT1 for a long time. Are there mounts available to use my Canon FL/FD lenses on it?

dannat

ive just picked up x-e1/18-55 for 400US, in Australia the x-e1 bodies are barely selling at 200

as an avid mountain biker/cx rider where i live the forests are quite dark, having f4 over f5.6 will be an advantage, then again MTB may also need the 55-200 [depending on vantage point] -though this would be seldom used landscape lens. 18-135 is prob best compromise - look for a flash to go with, t give some fill

Mklives

I would get a Pentax Q instead, if I were you. It's the most fun camera I've ever used. And you really stop caring about image quality when you use a Pentax Q. It's the least of my concerns.

veejaycee

I would get a Pentax Q instead, if I were you. It's the most fun camera I've ever used. And you really stop caring about image quality when you use a Pentax Q. It's the least of my concerns.

The IQ of the Pentax is that bad huh?

I guess that's why the OP asks on a Fuji X Forum about choosing between Fuji XT1 and Fuji XT10 cameras. It's obvious that unlike you, they do care about IQ. :)

boulevardier

The Q is very cute but I'm not sure it delivers anything the Fuji X10-30 can't.

snorkel

Or a phone theses days.

pominpocket

I got a great deal on the X pro 1 but the auto focus on these new cameras seems to be amazing now. I do not like losing shots due to focus issues and my eyes are bad for manual focus.

Mklives

Interchangeable lenses, including an 83-249mm f2.8 telephoto zoom that weighs 90g and is 5cm long(very fun), DSLR-like manual controls (3 dials), build quality equivalent to pro-DSLR, ability to adapt manual lenses with massive crop factor. Not a serious camera though, but quite fun.