Sign in to follow this  
raagamuffin

X Camera Price Curve

raagamuffin

All,

I am curious to see if anyone has (even if thoroughly unscientific) data on how X camera prices, both new and used, fare over a period of a couple of years.

Thanks.

richheath

If you assume Amazon is a good yardstick of price, you can view the price of any item over time with the Camelizer browser extension (including used and new). Once installed, you just go to the Amazon page and click the little icon in the address bar for a graphs and highest/lowest prices over a set period. Very helpful in many circumstances.

You can get the plugin here:

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/camelizer

Edit: In fact you don't even need to install the addon, you can do it from their website. Here is the X-T1 on amazon.co.uk: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/electronics/product/B00I3I2D9W?utm_campaign=chrome_ext&utm_source=&utm_medium=camelizer

veejaycee

All,

I am curious to see if anyone has (even if thoroughly unscientific) data on how X camera prices, both new and used, fare over a period of a couple of years.

Thanks.

Interest is fine but you cannot treat cameras as an investment apart from money made from their use. In fact anything containing computers (basically anything electric these days) is obselete by the time you have it in your hands.

Glass now - that's a differnt matter even though they too lose value as soon as they becaome used (which happens when you open the box). You can keep your glass while updating the body. Look at what Fuji have done with the new FW and how much better are the 35mm and 60mm - anyone who bought a cheap used one of those to use on XT1/XT10 will be laughing soon.

I have mostly bought used lenses over the past twenty years or so because they lose less and sometimes nothing. I bought a Sigma 50-500 for an African safari to resell on my return (like cheap rental), but I returned to Africa several times and kept the lens until last year. 8 years after I bought it I sold it on ebay and made £30 profit after p&p.

Cameras are updated/replaced roughly every 2 years (apart from FW) so they drop in price fairly swiftly.

raagamuffin

Rich, Archie, thanks! I will browse through them.

Veejaycee, you make good points. I am trying to figure out the sweet spot for buying fuji camera bodies. I have bought two used lenses now and there is no turning back! :)