gryphon1911

My Day and Impressions of the XT10

gryphon1911

Was able to borrow a Fuji XT10 for the day.

My impressions(I'm not going to show you images as we all know that Fuji is aces in the IQ department, this is more a functional assessment):

1) Fuji has finally got something with the AF going here. It is right up there were I had hoped it would be. Indoor crappy lighting and it locked on quick and sure. I would have no problem recommending it or the XT1 after its firmware update. No chance to test the C-AF as suitable subjects were not available. If the improved S-AF is any indication, the C-AF will be just as good.

2) I did not miss the ISO dial. The Fuji auto ISO works well enough that I don't see me needing to change it a lot. If I did - I'd use the Q menu.

3) Size - it was smaller than I had in my head. Any smaller and I would not have liked it. The feel in my hand reminded me of how my Olympus EM5 Mk II feels. Very well balanced with the 16-50mm kit lens.

4) EVF - I really did like it. Very smooth and good image.

5) Articulated screen is a welcome addition, functions similar to the one on my EM1. Some people love this kind or hate it and wish it were fully articulating. I don't care either way, as having any kind of articulating screen is a bonus IMHO.

• Like 1

K1W1_Mk2

Thanks. I noticed the other day that the XT10 is smaller than a X100 width wise and about the same depth in the actual body. It's smaller than the EM-5 in width and height but only just. The v4 firmware is starting to look a bit like a game changer. I wonder how ir if Olympus will respond.

jeremyclarke

2) I did not miss the ISO dial. The Fuji auto ISO works well enough that I don't see me needing to change it a lot. If I did - I'd use the Q menu.

Q menu is an awkward solution because it can't edit the Auto-ISO slots and doesn't really expose them well. On the bright side the X-T10 also has the nicest ISO function button yet! Makes it really fun+easy to scroll through specific values with live preview in the background (hated that that was missing on the X-E1) and the way it shows you the Auto-ISO settings is really effective. 

Now if only we could set the front dial to scroll through that function button ISO menu directly I'd never think twice again about the ISO dial on the X-T1. 

3) Size - it was smaller than I had in my head. Any smaller and I would not have liked it. The feel in my hand reminded me of how my Olympus EM5 Mk II feels. Very well balanced with the 16-50mm kit lens.

It's shocking how much smaller than the X-E1/X-T1 it feels in the hand, even though when you hold them up to each other the difference seems hardly significant. DEFINITELY doesn't feel right with the 16mm f/1.4 on it without a grip, almost hard to hold without using both hands. That said I have a huge iShoot/eBay grip on my X-E1 so I've completely forgotten how it felt originally, and I bet it would feel wrong with the 16mm on it too.

Fuji needs to get serious about thick add-on grips if they are going to keep releasing lenses this big (the 140-400mm will be impossible to hold without a grip).

4) EVF - I really did like it. Very smooth and good image.

I am struggling a bit with the EVF. It's nice and big if you look at it just right, but I find it's harder to "line up" my eye with the hole than it was on my X-E1, and often the corners end up blocked. I'm sure I'll get used to it of course. 

Of note though, something about the layout is making my EVF always get dirty. I think it's that it has a sort of back window protecting what's inside. Either way I find myself needing to wipe it off a lot more than with X-E1/X-T1.

All that said: It's beautiful and the resolution/size is totally enough to get the job done. I LOVE the new UI (from X100T etc.) compared to my X-E1, which now feels like it's from 1983.

5) Articulated screen is a welcome addition, functions similar to the one on my EM1. Some people love this kind or hate it and wish it were fully articulating. I don't care either way, as having any kind of articulating screen is a bonus IMHO.

Another huge win that was just a matter of time. Super useful for getting stable wide angle shots at appropriate angles and shooting on a tripod without sitting on the ground. I just need to remember that it's there!

gryphon1911

I'm an eye glass wearer and find that my eyepoint is sufficiently far back that I have a good view of the EVF.

• Like 1

Christopher

I really hope I can handle an X-T10 soon, I'm curious about the size. I adore my X-T1, but if I didn't already own one, I would probably buy the X-T10 instead. I would definitely have to test out the EVF with my glasses though, I gave up my X-Pro1 for an X-E1 back in the day because the X-Pro1's viewfinder vignetted too much for me. On my X-T1 I have to sacrifice the full EVF resolution to the scaled down version, but it works great with my glasses on. Fujifilm should add that scaling option to every EVF.

• Like 1

K1W1_Mk2

I've heard that some lucky people get pre release use of products but how on earth did @gryphon1911 get to be able to use a XT-10 in December 2012?  :)

• Like 3

veejaycee

I've heard that some lucky people get pre release use of products but how on earth did @gryphon1911 get to be able to use a XT-10 in December 2012?  :)

He is a little like Dr Who. :D

• Like 1

Christopher

Haha for some reason a few of the original post dates went wonky in the transition. Either that or I somehow invented time travel!

gryphon1911

He is a little like Dr Who. :D

Allons-y!!  :D

• Like 1

lopezzito

You can program the front command dial to access the ISO directly by pressing it, then rotate it to change, love this far better than the dial on top. 

• Like 2

Christopher

You can program the front command dial to access the ISO directly by pressing it, then rotate it to change, love this far better than the dial on top. 

That's a great tip @lopezzito! I had never considered that possibility.

Welcome to the community! :) 

• Like 1