Sign in to follow this  
Wolfie

RAW files with the X30

Wolfie

I like RAW files and use them with my DSLR and a now-lost X-10 in conjunction with PS Elements v10. I now have an X-30 to replace the X-10, which I like very much (and hope, one day, to understand all the setting!)

However, Elements doesn't recognise the RAW files that the X-30 creates (it did with the X-10). I'm used to Elements (I but can't upgrade it to my old Windows OS).

Is there any quick converter/method that I can run .RAF files through to make them compatible with the X-10 .RAF files?

Film did have it's good points...

veejaycee

MetaRaw from the plugins site - it will allow you to continue using raw file and the ACR dialogue. It doesn't cost much and you'll get regular free updates.

http://thepluginsite.com/products/metaraw/

Also of course, the free silkypix raw convertor from Fuji support if it didn't come bundled.

K1W1_Mk2

Use Adobes free DNG converter and convert the RAW files to DNG then edit the DNG files in Elements.

veejaycee

That works but it is so long-winded a job. It is basically what Metraw does except in you simply click your file in Bridge or whatever and open in ACR. I Used th DNG convertor for a few days by which it drove me nuts and for just a few quid MetaRaw saves a lot of fuss. IMO Silkypix is a better way to go than DNG convertion.

Wolfie

I think I'm being a bit thick. Will either of your suggestions enable me to download RAF files into the PSE Organiser? I usually download to there, then open whatever I want to develop in Elements from there. MetaRaw and the Adobe DGN Converter work when I open from Elements Edit, but I still get the message in Organiser that the file format (RAF) is not recognised, and so no files are imported. Have I missed something?

Thanks again.

veejaycee

Solve your problems with this - I use it for downloading, viewing and opening all my NEF, RAF and other files into LR, PS CS5, Silky, Nikon caprture 2NX etc. It's free and inded you can use it to process (not tried that). I've used it for years and it's updated regularly. If you like it and use though - please make a donation. It is safe and you'll find several other useful free apps on the FS site too. Under the edit tab, enter all the editing apps you want to open from it.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

K1W1_Mk2

Your version of Elements does not support the .RAF files full stop end of story.

Your options are to change the file format to something your version of Elements can work with using either my or @veejaycees suggestions or to update your software. You CANNOT work with the .RAF files in your version of Elements.